MJL & MR ARUK YouTube | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MJL & MR ARUK YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I went to download the Fox Sports app on my tablet and then learned I could have it free for 5 days, after which it was $45 per month. No way.
Interesting, I don't remember any posts that stated that the Fox Sports app wasn't free. I do have to admit that I have not tried to add it to a tablet, only on streaming devices and Smart TVs.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I don't remember any posts that stated that the Fox Sports app wasn't free. I do have to admit that I have not tried to add it to a tablet, only on streaming devices and Smart TVs.
Well, I only have the internet, no tv, no cable service. My internet service is wifi, not landline. So I just have to live with limited access.

Reaction Score
What does SNY stand to profit from by allowing a replay AFTER THE FACT? I see other games posted on other networks! I wrote a letter to SNY when I found out, expressing ny displeasure with them. Maybe if enough people do that? Here is their email: info1@sny.tv

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What does SNY stand to profit from by allowing a replay AFTER THE FACT? I see other games posted on other networks! I wrote a letter to SNY when I found out, expressing ny displeasure with them. Maybe if enough people do that? Here is their email: info1@sny.tv
The networks still make money on reruns of I Love Lucy. It’s SNY’s product, they’re the only one with the right to decide how to se it.

Reaction Score
The networks still make money on reruns of I Love Lucy. It’s SNY’s product, they’re the only one with the right to decide how to se it.
But HOW do they make money AFTER the fact?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Well, I only have the internet, no tv, no cable service. My internet service is wifi, not landline. So I just have to live with limited access.
If you don't have any tv then you are missing the two basic requirements to stream the SNY broadcasts on the Fox Sports app: a local Fox station and FS1. And you also need tv credentials to login to the Fox Sports app.
I would also guess that if your internet is supplied to you via wifi, then you might not have enough bandwidth for streaming.

Reaction Score
You have to have a paid TV provider of some sort in order to use the Fox Sports app free. It can be a cable provider, or YoutubeTv or Hulu+, but it has to be some service that includes Fox Sports channels on it. This is how Fox gets some revenue from your use of their service. If you have none of these, it means Fox gets no revenue from you. In that case, you need to pay Fox directly in order to stream broadcasts through their app.

Another way to put it: you can pay to use the Fox Sports app. But as a perk for folks who already subscribe to other services that include Fox Sports channels, Fox lets them stream through the FoxSports app free. They must think, since you're already paying for their service indirectly through you cable provider, for example, they are already getting some money from you.

Reaction Score
If you don't have any tv then you are missing the two basic requirements to stream the SNY broadcasts on the Fox Sports app: a local Fox station and FS1. And you also need tv credentials to login to the Fox Sports app.
I would also guess that if your internet is supplied to you via wifi, then you might not have enough bandwidth for streaming.
I have enough bandwidth for streaming on my tablet, phone and desktop, But there is no cable service available. Thus I depended entirely on mjl243 for viewing Husky games. Anyway, the WNBA starts in a few months, I have League Pass and am a Lynx fan.

Reaction Score
We had other stuff going on and could not watch the game. I'm not finding a replay in the places where I'd expect to find it. Any ideas?
Thank you.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I have enough bandwidth for streaming on my tablet, phone and desktop, But there is no cable service available. Thus I depended entirely on mjl243 for viewing Husky games. Anyway, the WNBA starts in a few months, I have League Pass and am a Lynx fan.
I apologize for my lack of understanding your internet situation. In fact we access the internet in 2 separate ways. One is via fiber optics and this network is used for the majority of our streaming. The second is via Verizon 5G Home which we use mainly for our cell phone internet access and a backup for the fiber optics.
I am going to shut up now. :eek:

Reaction Score
It costs nothing if you already pay for cable and your provider offers FoxSports, which is pretty much all of them. Just sign in with the credentials for your cable. YouTubeTV also counts as a cable provider -- that's how I sign in.
Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me using YouTubeTV in WHtfd.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me using YouTubeTV in WHtfd.
I'm not sure, but I think if you live within SNY's broadcast area, the rules for access are different. I'm out here in New Mexico, so definitely way out of SNY's area.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I have a Hulu subscription so I therefore have the Fox sports app. On my tablet it works fine but on our smart TV, sometimes the system only allows a 5 minute preview. A bit inconvenient to have to resign our credentials so often.

And I wish Fox would be more consistent in what they choose to offer as replays. (I also wish my knees felt like they did ten years ago!). I was at a funeral during the game and thus far it looks like no replay will be available.

I am of mixed feelings about the whole issue. I understand why UConn switched to SNY years ago, and I understand that SNY has to make a profit. But I also wonder to what extent business decisions that result in making it more difficult for some of us to watch the product will end up decreasing the size of the fan base.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I have a Hulu subscription so I therefore have the Fox sports app. On my tablet it works fine but on our smart TV, sometimes the system only allows a 5 minute preview. A bit inconvenient to have to resign our credentials so often.
I also have Hulu Live and use the Fox Sports app, downloaded to a XBox S (that is connected to an older model SmartTV), and as long as I am logged into the app (using my Hulu credentials) I have not had any problem streaming the SNY broadcasts. This season I have had an issue where I have been kicked back to the Xbox home screen during some of the games, usually around half time, but have no problem getting back to the broadcast. And every time I open the Fox Sports app for the games, I am still logged into it.
So I wonder why you only get a 5 minute preview and don't stay logged into the app.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I also have Hulu Live and use the Fox Sports app, downloaded to a XBox S (that is connected to an older model SmartTV), and as long as I am logged into the app (using my Hulu credentials) I have not had any problem streaming the SNY broadcasts. This season I have had an issue where I have been kicked back to the Xbox home screen during some of the games, usually around half time, but have no problem getting back to the broadcast. And every time I open the Fox Sports app for the games, I am still logged into it.
So I wonder why you only get a 5 minute preview and don't stay logged into the app.
It’s a mystery for sure.

Up until last September, our internet was provided by Frontier that came through our phone line. Terrible service - slow (download speed <2!), unreliable, dropped service hundreds of times per month, etc. One result of the interruptions was I often wound up with new ISP addresses (not sure that’s the correct technical term) so some of my apps needed me to resubmit my credentials, including for Fox Sports.

In September we switched to Starlink - very happy we did. Download speed has improved by a factor of more than 75. I doubt this is causative as regards the Fox app but the only issue with Starlink is each satellite is in range for about 5 minutes before switching to the next satellite. It is sometimes noticeable, for a microsecond, when the satellites switch.

Reaction Score
Licensing rights.
I don't care to argue. My point is it's not something marketable, like tv shows would be. They broadcast the game and that's it. No one that I have heard of comes back to buy any licensing to rebroadcast that game again. If that were the case, all the other broadcasting companies would stop all the other games from being displayed on sites like youtube.

Reaction Score
Mr. Aruk never posted the St. John's game, so that is probably going to be hit or miss going forward.

I did have a breakthrough on the Fox Sports app front, since I cut the cable over a year ago. I have Samsung TV, you can load the app off of that. Supposedly it works with models 2017 and later.

I would have posted this on the SNY thread, but it is closed for comments.

1. Press the Home button on your remote control.
  2. Select APPS and then select the Search icon in the top-right corner.
  3. Enter the app you want to download and select it. You'll see details about the app as well as screenshots and related apps.
  4. Select Install. To open the app, press the Home button. Simply highlight the app you want and select it to open it.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Mr. Aruk never posted the St. John's game, so that is probably going to be hit or miss going forward.

I did have a breakthrough on the Fox Sports app front, since I cut the cable over a year ago. I have Samsung TV, you can load the app off of that. Supposedly it works with models 2017 and later.

3. Enter the app you want to download and select it. You'll see details about the app as well as screenshots and related apps.
  4. Select Install. To open the app, press the Home button. Simply highlight the app you want and select it to open it.
Yup the closed SNY thread assumes, I believe, that BYers know how to download apps (or channels) to their Smart TV or streaming devices.
I found out that the Fox Sports app was applicable to certain Smart TV models because it is not available for my 2015 Samsung Smart TV. I didn't know in what year it became available for download.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I don't care to argue. My point is it's not something marketable, like tv shows would be. They broadcast the game and that's it. No one that I have heard of comes back to buy any licensing to rebroadcast that game again. If that were the case, all the other broadcasting companies would stop all the other games from being displayed on sites like youtube.
Broadcasting companies don't stop their games from being displayed on sites like YouTube because they are copyrighted. So wouldn't it be YouTube's job to prohibit copyrighted material to be uploaded? I guess ABC is too busy doing other things to worry about breaking copyright laws.
BTW I am one of the many UConn fans that benefitted from MJL243's channel and appreciated the replays.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

It’s been added to the locked thread

If anyone finds a good tip, tag me with an @ then my handle so I’ll see it

Reaction Score
Why would SNY give content away for free?

Most major TV networks give away their content for free. I watched free TV for half my life. The profit is in advertising revenue.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Most major TV networks give away their content for free. I watched free TV for half my life. The profit is in advertising revenue.
That was how many years ago? Cable TV, for which people pay, became the norm years ago. Rabbit ears worked for a while, then it was announced that you might as well take the antennas off your house because networks no longer used that technology, meaning no more freebies.

The fact of the matter is, if you want to watch TV, you have to pay for it whether it’s cable, satellite, or a la carte streaming. people demanding to see free UConn games from SNY is like demanding to see free boxing matches on pay-per-view once it’s aired.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But HOW do they make money AFTER the fact?
You're right that the major moneymaker is the live broadcast.

But this is predicated on viewer demand, a demand which is lessened if viewers know they can watch the game on YouTube immediately afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom