Mizzou fan looking for advice | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mizzou fan looking for advice

Reaction Score
Someone just recommended this place to me last week. Said it is one of the best Jewish Deli's in the state. Two endorsements in less than 7 days....I take that as a sign!! Not that I need a sign to eat.....
Reins is a good alternative to an actual NY Jewish deli. Personally, I find Rein's mediocre, but it's the only Jewish deli of note between Hartford and MA...

If BBQ is your thing, try BT's BBQ in Sturbridge (just off 84 before you get on MA Pike)... Don't know anyone that has had a bad experience.

Reaction Score
I live downtown Hartford and I always take the CTtransit bus to the stadium during weekend games. Super easy and only $3.00 round trip. Staying at the Residence Inn is a good deal, not the most beautiful hotel but just block from the CTtransit stop and within walking to some great restaurants. City Steam, Dish Bar and Grill, Salute, Sorella, Vaughn's Public House.
Edit...heads up! The CtTransit shuttle to Rentschler Stadium was discontinued this year. :mad: Getting to the stadium by bus is a little trickier. A PSA for my 1,000th post!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vernon Diner right near Rein's Deli and large portions and varied menu. Would be close ride to football stadium.

Reaction Score
Reins is a good alternative to an actual NY Jewish deli. Personally, I find Rein's mediocre, but it's the only Jewish deli of note between Hartford and MA...

If BBQ is your thing, try BT's BBQ in Sturbridge (just off 84 before you get on MA Pike)... Don't know anyone that has had a bad experience.

Mediocre is a bit harsh. It's not Katz in nyc but they have great food there. Mac and cheese, chicken pot pie, the Ruebens (I go prime 1st cut), the soups, deserts, etc. Ask for the full sours instead of the half sours pickles.

Reaction Score
Mediocre is a bit harsh. It's not Katz in nyc but they have great food there. Mac and cheese, chicken pot pie, the Ruebens (I go prime 1st cut), the soups, deserts, etc. Ask for the full sours instead of the half sours pickles.
can't stomach full sours. son can't get enough. I do love their pickles.

Reaction Score
You honestly RECOMMEND Vernon Diner for someone who isn’t an 18 yr old trying to find a place that looks the other way when you pour nips in your soda????
Their food is decent and the pies/cakes are fantastic. I guess I am too old to worry about spiking a soda!

Reaction Score
You honestly RECOMMEND Vernon Diner for someone who isn’t an 18 yr old trying to find a place that looks the other way when you pour nips in your soda????

LOL. Who goes to Vernon Diner sober? Great menu for those who have had a few!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Carl's on Silver Lane in East Hartford is minutes from the Rent and has awesome Jamaican food

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes, people routinely travel thousands of miles to visit a hot dog stand.

Might as well send him to the Chowder Pot. At least there, they are likely to get better seafood than they are used to in Missouri.

If they are staying in downtown Hartford, just use Yelp. If they are staying in EH/Glastonbury and want a nice dinner. Max Fish would be my choice. They also have one of the better steaks in the area. Not really a post game option though.

Reaction Score
Just to make sure, the game is in East Hartford not Storrs. I like Artisinal Burger Co. in Manchester for a good burger and beer selection. It's easy on/easy off I-84, Exit 62.

Thanks, I am well aware. Having attended a large Midwestern university, I enjoy visiting campuses, even ones without viable stadiums !

GO TIGERS !

Reaction Score
Thanks, I am well aware. Having attended a large Midwestern university, I enjoy visiting campuses, even ones without viable stadiums !

GO TIGERS !
If you are going to Campus... you need to check this out!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Someone just recommended this place to me last week. Said it is one of the best Jewish Deli's in the state. Two endorsements in less than 7 days....I take that as a sign!! Not that I need a sign to eat.....

I grew up in Manchester and used to go there all the time as a kid. Was always a top notch Deli, if you like that kind of thing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

GO TIGERS !

Have to confess in my three years at KU, I only visited Columbia once...to take the bar exam.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Visiting campus - Part 1 of 3:

Parking: There is a garage right opposite Gampel. It is an easy walk across the street. The parking garage is also right next to the Bookstore, which typically runs game day discounts. Just in case you want to switch sides before the game. ;)

In front of the Gampel you will find a statue of the the UConn mascot Jonathan the Husky. Be sure to rub Jonathan's nose for luck.
jonathan-statue.jpg

Right next to Gampel you can take a look at the Werth Family UConn Basketball Champions Center. The Burton Family Football Complex and Shenkman Training Center buildings are across the street. They house the football facilities. All three are outstanding facilities.

There is a sports museum in the Alumni building, that is worth a look from an adult's perspective but boring for kids.

Consider heading down to Mirror and Swan Lakes. I think Swan lake has a swing there. It's a nice picture.
MirrorSwing140428c162.jpg

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Part 2 of 3...

Be sure to make time to stop by the Dairy Bar. It is made fresh and probably the best ice cream that you've ever had.
dairybar.uconn_.edu_.jpg

While you down in that area of campus, you can check out the horses, sheep and cows as well. I think milking is done in the afternoon. Horsebarn Hill is right behind the barns and has the best view of campus.

The Student Union has good energy and is worth a walk through. It is short walk from Gampel.
union-st-770x300.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
Part 3 of 3:
There is a food court in the Student Union but I second the recommendation for Willington Pizza, which is on the way back to the highway. (Or you could do it on the way in.) Connecticut pizza is very good.

Alternatively, you could head to the other side of campus where there is a development with some college chain type restaurants. Geno Auriemma has a restaurant there that is pretty good Italian but not really pre-game food.

Storrs%2Bcommon.jpeg

Hope that helped. The campus is very pretty this time of year. I'm sure that you will enjoy it.
1Wilbur031_lg.jpg

Reaction Score
Part 3 of 3:
There is a food court in the Student Union but I second the recommendation for Willington Pizza, which is on the way back to the highway. (Or you could do it on the way in.) Connecticut pizza is very good.

Alternatively, you could head to the other side of campus where there is a development with some college chain type restaurants. Geno Auriemma has a restaurant there that is pretty good Italian but not really pre-game food.

Storrs%2Bcommon.jpeg

Hope that helped. The campus is very pretty this time of year. I'm sure that you will enjoy it.
1Wilbur031_lg.jpg

Don't confuse the poor guy that Willington Pizza is Connecticut pizza it might be Connecticut Pizza but is not apizza. It's a completely different style of pie but good

Go to pepes in Manchester across from Buckland hills if you want to try a true apizza ( New Haven style pizza)

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Don't confuse the poor guy that Willington Pizza is Connecticut pizza it might be Connecticut Pizza but is not appiza. It's a completely different style of pie but good

Go to pepes in Manchester across from Buckland hills if you want to try a true appiza ( New Haven style pizza)
After having left CT a long time ago I can say with some certainty that any non-chain place in CT tops the vast majority of what passes for pizza in the rest of the country.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom