Mizzou fan looking for advice | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mizzou fan looking for advice

Reaction Score
Grinders have been mentioned here. Please don't think of them as just another sub sandwich. I live in Illinois but make sure to hit any dive when in the area to get one. People here will have good local suggestions. Same with the pizza, it's fantastic. My fav is Johnny's in Brooklyn, (eastern Ct) though that would be a bit of a drive just for that.
Grinders are often toasted in the oven here but you have to specify it. Also no need to say the word grinder as in: "I'll have half a ham with everything including hot peppers, oil and vinegar, no mayo, in the oven, please." Oh, and they might ask you what kind of cheese you would like. It is a trap. Don't say American or Swiss. Provolone is the only acceptable answer. Also, CT has a large population of folks with Italian ancestry. So anything Italian is a cut above most parts of the country. Don't get us started on Italian food. ;)

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Grinders are often toasted in the oven here but you have to specify it. Also no need to say the word grinder as in: "I'll have half a ham with everything including hot peppers, oil and vinegar, no mayo, in the oven, please." Oh, and they might ask you what kind of cheese you would like. It is a trap. Don't say American or Swiss. Provolone is the only acceptable answer. Also, CT has a large population of folks with Italian ancestry. So anything Italian is a cut above most parts of the country. Don't get us started on Italian food. ;)

If you're getting Italian though, central and southern CT is far better than eastern (out by UConn). Go to an Italian restaurant in Hartford or New Haven

Reaction Score
If you're getting Italian though, central and southern CT is far better than eastern (out by UConn). Go to an Italian restaurant in Hartford or New Haven
Agreed. But Manchester's Cavey's Restaurant has northern Italian fine dining. (It also has high French cuisine.)

Reaction Score
My family is planning a trip into Hartford this October. My dad is almost 70 and doesn't walk as well as he used to, but does still enjoy his booze.

So I'm looking for advice on where to stay and how to get around. I see there's a bus that will take us to the stadium from Main St/Antheneum. Is that a convenient way to travel on game days? Also, thinking about booking the Residence Inn, but if there's a better option for bars/transportation, please let me know. And one last question: what is the Uber/Lyft situation like on game days?

Thanks!
JP

When I lived in Connecticut, I used to bike to the Rent. It wasn't hard when you live 1 mile away...;-)

Connecticut is such an interesting state and I read some replies. If you have a railfan, try the Valley Railroad. If the weather is nice, you might see some boaters on the Connecticut River.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But Manchester's Cavey's Restaurant has northern Italian fine dining. (It also has high French cuisine.)

They are still open? I took my late girlfriend there in 1990. Great food, got to go back with the family.

Reaction Score
Might be worth driving up to the UConn campus in Storrs. It's in a rural area and it should be just about peak season for the foliage. If you like ice cream you can stop by the Dairy Bar.

Or try Shady Glen..(for both ice cream, in October, try Pumpkin and the Cheeseburger.) Most of the roadside places will be closed, but you might find a 'shack' that serves 5 star food. We-lik-it is another great ice cream place.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Or try Shady Glen..(for both ice cream, in October, try Pumpkin and the Cheeseburger.) Most of the roadside places will be closed, but you might find a 'shack' that serves 5 star food. We-lik-it is another great ice cream place.
If he's a heathen who likes black licorice for some awful reason, gotta go with the licorice ice cream that time of year (if not sold out)

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread. Just booked rooms at the Residence Inn.

We probably won't get to the cemetery - my dad has his heart set on spending Friday afternoon or Saturday morning (depending on game time) driving around rural CT.

This is a Missouri pig farmer's idea of a good time. So if y'all have any recommendations as far as nearby country things to see, please let me know that as well.

Looking forward to the game and our visit. Thanks again.

I've never been to CT but from what I've seen and read it's a beautiful state, especially in the fall. But, then, so is our home state of MO in the fall. Hope your dad enjoys the trip.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somebody mentioned the Essex Steam Train above. That might be pretty nice in the fall.

fall_foliage1.jpg

Reaction Score
Some great information here so I'll continue this thread.

1) Where should I eat lunch in Storrs on my drive over from Boston?
2) You can't throw footballs at the tailgate?

Reaction Score

You should stop at reins deli in Vernon (exit 65 off 84). They have some of the best pastrami Ruebens around. Also a lot of other great offerings if you like a good Jewish deli

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Just to make sure, the game is in East Hartford not Storrs. I like Artisinal Burger Co. in Manchester for a good burger and beer selection. It's easy on/easy off I-84, Exit 62.

Reaction Score
You should stop at reins deli in Vernon (exit 65 off 84). They have some of the best pastrami Ruebens around. Also a lot of other great offerings if you like a good Jewish deli

Someone just recommended this place to me last week. Said it is one of the best Jewish Deli's in the state. Two endorsements in less than 7 days....I take that as a sign!! Not that I need a sign to eat.....

Reaction Score
Someone just recommended this place to me last week. Said it is one of the best Jewish Deli's in the state. Two endorsements in less than 7 days....I take that as a sign!! Not that I need a sign to eat.....

I grew up in Vernon. It's very popular and very good. Worth the visit.

Reaction Score

You can throw footballs at the Aircraft Club lot I believe and tailgate on grass or blacktop rather than crushed rock. Much more comfortable and indoor rest rooms. Look at the Rentschler map. It is off Silver Lane on the North side.

I like Ted's Montana Grill in Evergreen Walk (South Windsor) for lunch. Easy to get to from I-84. Bison burgers. No line, generally speaking, whereas there might be at Rein's.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Stadium is 25 minutes west of campus in East Hartford. Campus is beautiful especially this time of year. If you wanna eat lunch around there I recommend Willimantic Brewing.

Reaction Score
@MizzouTiger
Places to eat:
Willington Pizza, small/local eclectic place. Then UConn Dairy Bar for dessert.
Willington Pizza – The Pizza That Made Willington Famous
UConn Dairy Bar | Dining Services

Geno's restaurant on campus is okay.
Dinner Menu - Geno's Grille

There are some high end places in Glastonbury (10 minutes from Stadium) that are excellent.
Max Fish

J. Gilbert's
Steakhouse Restaurant - J. Gilbert's Glastonbury , CT

If you tailgate at the Aero Club on Silver Lane you won't have issues throwing a football around. $20, indoor restrooms, easy out, and shorter walk to the stadium than the general parking Red Lot (behind the stadium)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

You can play games and they've eased up on the football ban in the Blue Lot overflow areas, but you need a pass. Aero is probably your best bet. The ban on football tossing is all about safety. They attempt to pack in cars like sardines and there just isn't enough room in the aisles to allow for errant throws. Conversely, cars park wherever they want for the first hour. Pass interference is one thing. Getting steamrolled with a slight buzz by a Silverado is another.

Reaction Score

Honestly, if I were stopping in Storrs on the way to the game I'd rather get ice cream at the Dairy Bar then eat anywhere around there. Not to demean the local cuisine, but the ice cream is that good. Like others have mentioned stop at a deli on the way into East Hartford. If you are eating in the Storrs area though, Bidwell's Tavern will always have a special place in my heart :-D

+1 for the Airclub lot across Silver Lane. Always park there. It's a little walk, but gives you time for a beer or two on the way in and the indoor bathrooms are great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom