Mississippi St (7) @ Auburn - 1/14/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (7) @ Auburn - 1/14/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
.... All I do is give my opinion just like everyone else who posts a message on this forum.
My perspective is, I really like hearing your perspective, I won't always agree with it but I will respect it unless you go off the rails on decorum. We all can get a bit nutty with our posts from time to time and when that happens, we have to take a step back and realize this is just a forum for entertainment of sharing our thoughts.

As far as I know, I have never had a post banned/removed and I hope that none ever will as long as I keep decorum and avoid other unpleasantries that the "heat of the moment" can instigate.

My advice is to own up that you probably were too harsh on something, accept it, learn from it and move on. I want to hear your perspectives as I said, you have some unique insight that the masses miss.

You don't have to like Vic saying it, but he has every right to say it and you have every right to say you don't like it.

What this country sometimes forgets is it was founded on religious freedom and hence a separation of church and state-just ask the Leiden Group who sailed here in 1620....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
....which is really saying something because the Big10 is a dumpster fire as well but yet the SEC is worse! Talent wise, Tennessee should be #2 even if they are young and have Holly at the helm but alas they will be pressed to finish in the top 6 OR WORSE...

This thread alerted a couple of thoughts that I hadn't really contemplated.
#1. Auburn as a top SEC team? They don't have any signature wins, good losses to Iowa St, Tenn and now MSU. Not sure we know enough about them yet but given the sad state of affairs of the SEC, sure they could be a top team :eek:
#2. It has postulated by an opposing fan that a specific MSU fan does not like their coach due to his ego. I have not seen a direct comment from that fan, but let's supposed it's true and some MSU fans don't like Vic. As noted by @j66kicker not have fans have to like their coach and in this case, they have to respect what he has done not only with the last few years of MSU but what he did at Texas A&M. Not only is he recruiting better, he's winning in the SEC, winning in the NCAA tournament and his filling the stands in Starkville, making WCBB quite the event. Overall, his put his name up in the top 10 coaches of programs now.
Geno, Muffet, Tara, Kim, Dawn, Brenda, Jeff, Scott, Vic and then Karen Aston, Kelly Grave vying for 10th. If a program can be known by it's coaches first name, for the most part, they have arrived. Holly is the antithesis of this statement..:rolleyes:

1. I'm not sure the SEC is worse than the Big 12. SEC has a handful of streaky but dangerous teams in South Carolina, A&M, and Kentucky. Big 12 really doesn't have anyone outside of Baylor and an overrated Texas team that would be Tennessee 2.0 if they played in the SEC.

2. I don't think anyone thinks Auburn is a top SEC team. They played no one in the preseason and are the only SEC team to lose to Tennessee so far (at home no less). They just were clobbered by Mississippi State too.

3. Any MSU fan who dislikes Vic is nuts. His ego IMO seems much smaller than the likes of Muffet, Geno or Walz.

4. No way is Aston a top 10 coach. Vic I think without question is a top coach in WCBB right now. His results this year combined with the last two match up favorably against anyone in women's basketball. And his two runner up teams had zero top 20 recruits or McDonald's All-Americans. Very impressive.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
@bballnut90 for clarity:
1. The season series between the two conferences was 5-5 this year. I think you are forgetting Iowa State who is decent (and the best fans west of SC/UConn :D)
2. @IrishTiger was the poster who thought Auburn would be battling for top 4 (and he's not wrong with this mess).
3. Absolutely!!!! times 10....
4. Program, not coach-she has consistently recruited top 5 talent every year. Attendance is up significantly from what GG posted and her win totals are also up. She has made Texas relevant again. She is x's and o's challenged, probably more so than Holly but she is not despised by her fans...yet.

As I have noted many, many times, coaching requires 1. Recruiting first and foremost (can't make chicken salad out of chicken ), 2. Player development and then #3. Game coaching. Vic is great at #2/#3 and is making inroads on #1. Imagine how bad Tennessee would be if they didn't have top recruits????

Reaction Score
Not a strong year for the SEC. Tennessee crashing yet again, while not surprising, is not great for the league.

I'd probably make UGA the #2 team right now though I've been more encouraged by South Carolina lately.

We will see how far South Carolina has come on Thursday.

Reaction Score
@bballnut90 for clarity:
1. The season series between the two conferences was 5-5 this year. I think you are forgetting Iowa State who is decent (and the best fans west of SC/UConn :D)
2. @IrishTiger was the poster who thought Auburn would be battling for top 4 (and he's not wrong with this mess).
3. Absolutely!!!! times 10....
4. Program, not coach-she has consistently recruited top 5 talent every year. Attendance is up significantly from what GG posted and her win totals are also up. She has made Texas relevant again. She is x's and o's challenged, probably more so than Holly but she is not despised by her fans...yet.

As I have noted many, many times, coaching requires 1. Recruiting first and foremost (can't make chicken salad out of chicken ), 2. Player development and then #3. Game coaching. Vic is great at #2/#3 and is making inroads on #1. Imagine how bad Tennessee would be if they didn't have top recruits????
Recruiting is really an art. Many ladies high school players do not receive extensive conditioning or coaching. The rating services depend more on AAU performance than high school. Many high schoolers do not participate in AAU activities and as such the rating services are biased toward AAU performance. I believe that is why many times 3 stars overachieve their rating while many 5 stars disappoint. The best coaches evaluate player game performance rather than their rating.

Reaction Score
My whole point about Auburn possibly being top 4 is me thinking the SEC is weak enough. If Ole Miss can beat Kentucky sure could Auburn. If Florida can beat Mizzou sure could Auburn. I think Auburn could also beat Georgia and I think they could also beat Texas A&M. Not sure they can beat S. Car and in a rematch with Tenn who knows.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Not a strong year for the SEC. Tennessee crashing yet again, while not surprising, is not great for the league.

I'd probably make UGA the #2 team right now though I've been more encouraged by South Carolina lately.

We will see how far South Carolina has come on Thursday.

I would've said UK was #2 with SC and UGA just behind before Sunday, but now SC stands out to me. Wins over LSU and A&M on the road are strong.

UK had been impressive, but a home loss to a truly bad Ole Miss team is nearly unforgiveable, even with Morris out. Mizzou losing at UF with a nice lead in the 4th is also head scratching to say the least.

Honestly, at this point, as an MSU fan the only games remaining on the schedule I fear are the two SC games and A&M on the road. UT is so talented, but I just can't see them mounting a challenge. So disorganized offensively. Mizzou can win with shear effort, but they're also a mess on O. We shall see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom