Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Wen you create space by bending your body, thats your space. It is different than when you create that space after the offensive player gets the ball. The same applies when you are on offense. More post players need to learn to bend to create more space instead of just standing straight up. WBB is especially weak in that area.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I think T has a big 2nd Half unless the refs decide to foul her out. Very happy to be leading since we forgot we have a 6'7" AA for way too much of the 1st Half.

Reaction Score
Big T still looks like she hates the sport...only plays because she's 6'7" and others want her to play so bad. Jaz is looking awful out there...she has zero confidence in her shot and she's been inconsistent with her on ball defense.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If I had to make a split second decision I might have called it on either player. Announcers were right: that play is just 6’7 going up strong and someone invading her space. Griner used to get called for stuff like that and Mulkey used to say “she’s 6’8! Everything she does is above the shoulder.” The same can be said of McCowan.
Where does this "invading her space" concept come from? Certainly not the rulebook. A player doesn't own any space other than what she occupies. The only way that a defender could invade her space and commit a foul would be to shove her and displace her. A defender who is merely in contact with the offensive player but does not shove her commits no foul. And a defender who anticipates where the offensive player will want to pivot and occupies that space first is simply playing good defense. The offensive player can deal with that by pivoting the other way, if she is athletic enough to do that without traveling.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I think Howard is invaluable. Even if she misses, she is a bundle of energy and effort. A great role model for the team.

Vic has said she's always positive and always working. A very welcome addition.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think it can be overstated how bad the end of the half was for Oregon. Went from up 6 to down 1 in 1:03 and lost all momentum in a game it seemingly had control of and was playing at the pace they wanted. Just awful.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think it can be overstated how bad the end of the half was for Oregon. Went from up 6 to down 1 in 1:03 and lost all momentum in a game it seemingly had control of and was playing at the pace they wanted. Just awful.

Miss St really sunk their teeth into the game defensively at the end. If OU does not come out sharp in the first few minutes of Q3, this could turn ugly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just like that MSU up 5. UO needs to answer here.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm dying for Oregon to just veer into McCowan on one of these PnRs. Just create the contact and see what happens.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sabally picks up #3, replaced by Chavez. I don't like the way she played in the first half. Maybe bring in Gildon instead.

Oregon w/ another TO on the inbound, but MSU gave it right back.

Shows what I know, Chavez drills a 3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon misses another bunny. Cannot afford that.

Reaction Score
Where does this "invading her space" concept come from? Certainly not the rulebook. A player doesn't own any space other than what she occupies. The only way that a defender could invade her space and commit a foul would be to shove her and displace her. A defender who is merely in contact with the offensive player but does not shove her commits no foul. And a defender who anticipates where the offensive player will want to pivot and occupies that space first is simply playing good defense. The offensive player can deal with that by pivoting the other way, if she is athletic enough to do that without traveling.
But getting up under a player so they can’t plant their feet or bodying a player so they can’t make a move is the issue. That’s like saying undercutting isn’t in the rule book because the player left the floor and doesn’t own that court space to land anymore. Part of it came more with that “freedom of movement” emphasis a few years ago. You must give players room to move or it basically implies too much physical contact.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ionescu turns down a short jumper to pass to Hebard who travels

Cazorla needs to take over again

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ionescu comes out for the 3rd tight as a drum again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
another travel by MSU, they've been called for maybe 1? Gotten away w/ at least half a dozen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom