Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season this looked like a marquee matchup. But Oregon just hasn’t looked like the team everyone thought they were, while Vic and the Bulldogs just keep on rolling along. The Ducks might keep it close for awhile, but I think MS St eventually pulls away.
I thought the same times but oops!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I’m going with Oregon... I think Miss St will push them to the brink but I like the Ionescu/ Cazorla backcourt over Danberry/Holmes. Another vital matchup will be Sabally vs Bibby. If Satou can get her points and keep Bibby under wraps that will be a huge plus for Oregon. Boley will need to have a god shooting game and be ready to battle Howard on the boards. I think Hebard can score in space against McCowan if they get her the ball but I don’t think she can keep Big T off the boards so she’s in for a fight. Wonder how much minutes Giomi will see? I say Ducks by 3.

You and Orangutan had the best analysis and prediction!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How the mighty have fallen. Just about all the top teams appear to have an exploitable weakness or two. It should make for a really interesting season, particularly when March rolls around.

Reaction Score
Decided to record this and watch this AM. Sorta wished I had missed the Vic "inspiring" pregame speech. "No pretty ball.... 40 minutes of hell." Yuck! Lost a little respect for him on that one.

ESPN should just leave the locker room pregame speech to Brenda Frese. :rolleyes:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
How the mighty have fallen. Just about all the top teams appear to have an exploitable weakness or two. It should make for a really interesting season, particularly when March rolls around.
Maybe we can give Vic a new agnomen. In keeping with your theme of the mighty stumbling, how about Ozymandias. Ozy for short!

Reaction Score
Does it appear OU ...what's the right term, "palm" the ball when they dribble or is the court background playing tricks on my eyes?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe we can give Vic a new agnomen. In keeping with your theme of the mighty stumbling, how about Ozymandias. Ozy for short!
Are you suggesting that Vic is a tragic hero suffering from hubris?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Um, they wax poetically about 8,951 attending yet UConn AVERAGED 10,000+ last year!
Attendance is relative. A lot of coaches out there would kill to get just 5,000 in the gym. (And some college gyms won't even fit 5,000.) For South Carolina, meanwhile, 10,000 would be a disappointment.

Oregon had the greatest increase in attendance between 2 years ago and last year among all D-I teams. Went from averaging 2,595 in 16-17 to 4,255 last year.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that Vic is a tragic hero suffering from hubris?
Not really, just a fallen one right now. I really think Vic is a good guy, and does not "suffer" from hubris! They will continue to be a good team and give others fits in the dance. One of my favorite teams after UConn , of course. And I just love that name. Ozymandias! Kinda like salsa!

Reaction Score
Decided to record this and watch this AM. Sorta wished I had missed the Vic "inspiring" pregame speech. "No pretty ball.... 40 minutes of hell." Yuck! Lost a little respect for him on that one.

He must be an admirer of Nolan Richardson.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Vic has decided to take a loss in the last 5 minutes, no doubt about it. Can't blame him. Anyways, while definitely our worst game in a long time. I congratulate Oregon for really coming out in this game and wanting it. Good on them. It's a long season.
I don't know, I thought their loss to SC in last year's SEC tournament was actually worse than this.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. I realize that 8,900 or so in attendance is not a big number to some, but the atmosphere was electric and, over the past three years, Oregon has moved from averaging somewhere around 2500 fans to slightly over 4000 to, so far this year, nearly a couple thousand more than that. I think that a makes the Oregon schools the best drawing teams in the Pac 12.

This team was a lot closer to the team many Oregon fans expected to see this year: Cazorla was at her best and Hebard was a warrior throughout. Last year, Oregon got killed on the boards; this year they actually out-rebounded MST by a couple. And, if Ionescu couldn't buy a bucket, she did her job--James Harden like--at the free throw line. To me, the key to the win was the play of Gildon and the freshman Chavez. To my eyes, they made a major difference defensively and kudos to Graves for leaving Boley and Sabally on the bench when he obviously had the option of putting them back in the game throughout the fourth quarter. Hoopgulz seems to have really missed the boat on Chavez, who surely seems much much better than a ranking in the 60s. She's quick, smart (for a freshman), and fearless. Graves said he recruited her because he saw her go toe-to-toe with Ionescu (and hold her own) in (I imagine) AAU play. In any case, she's a keeper.

In my grogginess last night, I kept an eye on an Oregon guard shifting gears and driving into the lane. Yes, most of the time it was Ionescu, but often it was Chavez and I swear they looked like one and the same athlete. Well, not quite there, but Chavez looked very good.

I remember reading an ESPNw article on her and keeping track of her college visits thereafter. And then she was named the Gatorade Player of the Year in Arizona. So, some players are recognized in the rating services and some in various other ways (awards, named to U.S. National Teams, etc.).

Good pick-up for Graves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amazing that an LSU fan has a better grasp of MSU’s team than its own fans. msugrad00, please stop posting. It’s embarrassing. I’m being serious.

Congrats to Oregon. Great ballgame.

Don't lump us all together

Reaction Score
Not really, just a fallen one right now. I really think Vic is a good guy, and does not "suffer" from hubris! They will continue to be a good team and give others fits in the dance. One of my favorite teams after UConn , of course. And I just love that name. Ozymandias! Kinda like salsa!
I have to give Vic kudos for year after year graduating most of the team and still putting together a Top 10 team. While Oregon still scored, Miss State's first half defense was intense. Wonder if McCowan was under the weather-seemed a step slow and uninterested on offense.

Reaction Score
MSU lacks a consistent 3 point threat that opens up the inside this season. Outside of Bibby and Howard who occasionally takes them

Last year they had
Vivians, who did make those shots but also created her own
Morgan Williams and Schaefer knocked down 3's as well to keep the D honest.

The Defense at this point is a work in progress. The guards have quick hands and cause deflections and loose balls but this years team has struggled mightily with teams driving the ball inside the lane off the pick and roll.
How did a red headed Australian (Bibby) find her way to Miss State? Nice shot.

Reaction Score
She made 22 shots in a row at one point this year. You are one negative dude.
I LED OFF THE MESSAGE BY SAYING SHE CAN SCORE!!!!!! There is more to the game of basketball than just scoring....do you not know that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Reaction Score
You and Orangutan had the best analysis and prediction!

Thanks! I was wrong about Sabally and Bailey though as neither were much of a factor. That was a big game by Chavez and Gildon who stepped up in their absence and played quality defense!

Reaction Score
Amazing that an LSU fan has a better grasp of MSU’s team than its own fans. msugrad00, please stop posting. It’s embarrassing. I’m being serious.

Congrats to Oregon. Great ballgame.
Nah...i'm going to continue to post. I do like the fact that I have you begging though. I bet you have to beg a lot in life.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You should have loved this game then. David slew Goliath.
#7 at home vs. #4? I don't think so. This was the Oregon team that most expected to see all year. Can they sustain it is the question and can Vic look at the tape and realize he had a flawed game plan and will he admit, at least to himself, his shenanigans on the sideline cost him and his team valuable points. I sort of expect this from Graves, he's a bit of a dope but Vic?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Your lucky you put that in or else some serious heat might be coming your way...:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your lucky you put that in or else some serious heat might be coming your way...:D
If you are referring to UConn, I would suggest that even the Huskies have weaknesses. Whether or not those weaknesses are “exploitable” is a very good question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom