Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Shocking to me, 5 points from Big Tee and Vic pulls her out in the critical end of game. Maybe she was gassed but after 3-4 minutes rest he still kept her out. Hope she can get it together.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, I have to say that was easily the second-best WCBB game so far this season, after UConn-Notre Dame. None of the other top-10 matchups have even come close to this.

Reaction Score
I am actually happy to see Vic sit her and make a point. It was needed. She looked like she didn't want to be there.

She let her teammates down with that attitude and hustle throughout the game tonight.

I do think MSU needs some of the bench players to step up and emerge. People like AEH, Taylor, Wiggins, someone. Outside shooting is pretty limited with Holmes and Danberry

This team really needed thumping tonight. Things have seemed to come so easy for 2+ years. The new girls can't just assume they're entitled to another run to April. They hafta decide what they want and if they're willing to put in the work that the girls before them have.

What's crazy is if they shoot 70-75% from the stripe we win the game. I just think this a learning experience that the team really needed.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That goes for the defensive player as well. Hebard has been physically in contact with McCowan just about every second she has been defending her. If what you say is true, than no physically contact of any kind can be allowed. The point I was making is that if a defensive player is bodying an offensive player to the point where the offensive player can make a move, they are doing the same thing as displacing the offensive player. If McCowan goes up and Hebard’s arms are tangled in McCowan’s, Hebard is at fault because you have a right to make a basketball play (shooting motion in this case). Guards aren’t allowed to keep their hands on a player they’re defending anymore because that’s the guard equivalent of bodying the other player.
I am trying to visualize how your example might occur. If McCowan goes straight up to shoot with a vertical motion, she is occupying space that she owns. If Hebard's arms extend past the vertical and make contact with McCowan while she is shooting, then her arms are in opponent-owned space, so she is committing a foul. On the other hand, if Hebard holds up her arms up in a strict vertical position, and McCowan's shooting motion includes moving her arms forward into Hebard's "fence", then McCowan is in Hebard-owned space and has committed a foul.

Reaction Score
Vic has surrounded Big T with players who like can't shoot other than Bibby. Jaz is still serving no purpose out there at all.
You May be correct, last year the 3 point shooters kept teams from sagging on the post. I have confidence Vic will get it resolved, may have to play AEH if she can produce but unfortunately so far it appears she needs to be wide open to shoot well and the good teams are not going to let that happen.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Shocking to me, 5 points from Big Tee and Vic pulls her out in the critical end of game. Maybe she was gassed but after 3-4 minutes rest he still kept her out. Hope she can get it together.
Wasn't shocking to me. I was mildly surprised he stayed with her as long as he did. Once she failed to run down on transition twice in a row Vic said you've made the decision for me.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Huh. I know many don't get to watch many Pac 12 games. I've seen Ionescu play much better than this. She was money from the FT line, but she got off to a slow start and just couldn't hit from the field the whole game. Nowhere near a triple double either. If you were impressed with her tonight, you should see her when she plays well.

I hear ya, but she's not usually playing a team this good either

She didn't have her jump shot tonight but she kept grinding, kept making plays, and helped her team win. That's the mark of a great player. Her effort level never wavers even when it isn't going her way.

This was like a "C" game for her and she had 29, 5 & 5. Not many people can call that an off game.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Congrats to Oregon. Came to play and deserved to win. The first really bad game for T in a very long time. She'll grow from it.

I thought the refs were absolutely awful and so did both coaches. That's a shame.

First regular season loss for MSU in a long while and it won't hurt too bad if they learn from it.

McCowan is much better than many of you understand. How quickly a 39 pt 42 rebound Final Four is forgotten.

Again, congrats to the Ducks. Great win.

Reaction Score
Howard can score but she also makes non winning plays...she turns the ball over way too much and she can't defend without fouling. Big T is a senior yet she still just throws up garbage when she gets the ball on the post. I'd never give her the ball on the block..just have her try and get put backs on offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Oregon looked like the better team but hitting 27 of 28 free throws while Miss St was missing theirs at the end certainly helped.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Howard can score but she also makes non winning plays...she turns the ball over way too much and she can't defend without fouling. Big T is a senior yet she still just throws up garbage when she gets the ball on the post. I'd never give her the ball on the block..just have her try and get put backs on offensive rebounds.
She made 22 shots in a row at one point this year. You are one negative dude.

Reaction Score
After all this... It'll be very interesting to watch Oregon vs Stanford. If both teams play each other as they played tonight it will be a great game.
Btw, Sabally and Boley nonfactors in the second half, basically spectators and cheerleaders for team... Kelly Graves has to be happy about that, Gildon and Chavez stepping up BIG! GO HUSKIES!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's still early. Fairly unpredictable still. This doesn't look like the same Oregon team that lost to Michigan St. Probably also doesn't look like the same MSU team as previous games, but this is the first time I've watched them this year. I feel kinda sorry for Washington, I have a feeling MSU will be motivated and in a bad mood on Thursday and will take it out on the West Coast Huskies. They don't have the same kind of personnel as Oregon does.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
After all this... It'll be very interesting to watch Oregon vs Stanford. If both teams play each other as they played tonight it will be a great game.

Unfortunately due to unbalanced conference schedule they will only play once, at Stanford.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's still early. Fairly unpredictable still. This doesn't look like the same Oregon team that lost to Michigan St. Probably also doesn't look like the same MSU team as previous games, but this is the first time I've watched them this year. I feel kinda sorry for Washington, I have a feeling MSU will be motivated and in a bad mood on Thursday and will take it out on the West Coast Huskies. They don't have the same kind of personnel as Oregon does.
And Michigan State, after beating Oregon, barely escaped Hartford with an overtime win. Teams just aren't consistent. There are good games and bad.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, these wins over Baylor and Mississippi State (and, to a lesser extent, Tennessee) will reverberate come Selection Sunday. Depending on how the conference season goes, Stanford and Oregon could be in the running for #1 seeds.

Reaction Score
She almost looked like she was sick. Not making excuses, I've just never seen her this lethargic in 4 years of watching ever game. Something wasn't right

You might be right, but she also never got a sub. She's being asked to play man to man with no sub. Still, she quit on her team, and I can't defend her attitude. She's had an attitude problem for 4 years now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom