Mississippi St (4) @ Washington - 12/20/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (4) @ Washington - 12/20/18

Reaction Score
It's tough to turn out to watch a team play like that. Whatever hope I had for improvement this year is evaporating quickly.
I agree, this type game is not my cup of tea, I know we lost to Oregon but that game was exciting. Hope we get another shot at them.

Reaction Score
103-56 MSU final

MSU steals UConn’s record for high score in the building.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Andra Espinosa-Hunter can make her 3s if you keep her in the game long enough. Problem is she just hasn't been getting much playing time. When Holmes' usual proven game wasn't working against Oregon, Vic could've taken a chance on AEH and she could've jacked some shots up and we might've had a chance to win. I know she's not as good a man-to-man defender as Holmes, but still.... all she needs is one shot to go down and the momentum of the court will change.

Danberry and Howard are getting better and better. Their development will be key to our success.

Our weaknesses right now are 3-point shooting (so far), a lack of depth (no doubt about it, it's not a team with superb depth at all.....currently), and pick-and-roll defense (Oklahoma plays pick and roll defense better than us... did against UConn anyways)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The loss to Oregon was MSU's first nonconference loss in more than 3 years, since they lost to Texas on 12/2/2015. They bounced back pretty nicely.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
103-56 MSU final

Gotta find creative ways to beat UConn at something:p.

Record was for high score by an opponent, btw.

Thanks for the thread and stream link!

Looking forward to UConn-Cal and ND-Marquette this weekend.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
103-56 MSU final

Oh, I was at that game. I'll go on the record and guarantee that UConn team was better than this MSU team. UW that year finished near the top of the Pac and went to the Elite 8, and UConn doubled them up on their own floor.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Andra Espinosa-Hunter can make her 3s if you keep her in the game long enough. Problem is she just hasn't been getting much playing time. When Holmes' usual proven game wasn't working against Oregon, Vic could've taken a chance on AEH and she could've jacked some shots up and we might've had a chance to win. I know she's not as good a man-to-man defender as Holmes, but still.... all she needs is one shot to go down and the momentum of the court will change.

Danberry and Howard are getting better and better. Their development will be key to our success.

Our weaknesses right now are 3-point shooting (so far), a lack of depth (no doubt about it, it's not a team with superb depth at all.....currently), and pick-and-roll defense (Oklahoma plays pick and roll defense better than us... did against UConn anyways)

One thing that Vic has in common with Geno is that he doesn't tolerate poor defending. I don't know that she'll get significant minutes against good teams until her defense improves. Heck, Mississippi State was up by like 30 against Texas and she still barely sniffed the court.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Record was for high score by an opponent, btw.

Yes. I don't know if it's a school record, but I saw Plum and the Dawgs hang 108 on Oklahoma in a 2nd Round Tourney game 2 years ago. That was fun to watch. What a stunningly huge drop for UW since then.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

Andi is just not ready to play in a game vs a Top 10 team yet. Especially one as efficient offensively as Oregon. She would get exposed badly on D. She'll get plenty of playing time in the SEC and hopefully will be ready to help us in the NCAAs. We need her 3's.

Reaction Score

AEH shoots the ball very well when she is patient. At times she tries to force up shots and try to make things happen which is when it doesn't go well. She seemed more patient today, she has a lot of talent and much to offer on the offensive end. What is hurting her playing time right now is her defense. Vic is pretty strict on how he wants his teams to defend. She has gotten better but there are obviously some big things she needs to work on. I'm sure she'll get there eventually. Each game is a learning experience for her and its something to build on.

Danberry, Howard, Bibby are all great weapons and are continuing to improve. Danberry has really impressed me this season on both offense and defense, I know she doesn't shoot the 3 really but she creates shots in the midrange and does a good job driving to the basket.

There is talent on the bench but it still has ways to go (AEH, Wiggins, Taylor, Carter)

SEC isn't that great outside Kentucky, Tennessee, A&M, there should be plenty of opportunities for AEH and some of the bench players to develop and work on their game as they approach March

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Andi is just not ready to play in a game vs a Top 10 team yet. Especially one as efficient offensively as Oregon. She would get exposed badly on D. She'll get plenty of playing time in the SEC and hopefully will be ready to help us in the NCAAs. We need her 3's.

I agree..... but the game was going south for us at the start of the 4th quarter. Holmes was not doing great, Danberry fouls out... and Andi still doesn't get in the game. If she gets one shot to fall, Oregon all of a sudden starts to play her in the perimeter, and then T can start to impose herself down low. But that didn't happen obviously, as Vic was determined to sit T for the rest of the game with still 4:30 left to play. I truly think he decided to take a loss to demonstrate his frustration with McCowan and his team. Not saying Andi would've worked btw, but it was a chance I was willing to take. Our lack of players became apparent near the 4th quarter, Vic had nobody available that he trusted enough to turn the game around.

I'm not worried about our SEC slate at all.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Jeez, Melgoza and Peterson combined 2-14 from the floor, brutal. Peterson hasn't been able to shoot since she had to start wearing a mask. Melgoza doesn't have that excuse, but she's stuck in a horrendous shooting slump for at least 3 games now.

MSU "only" had 16 O boards, I was expecting much worse. UW had 11. McCowan had a double double but 13 and 12 isn't nearly as big of a night as I expected. 2 years ago she destroyed Osahor, who was a really solid low post defender (saw her erase Brionna Jones from UMD and VPL from Oklahoma in Tourney games).

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
MSU "only" had 16 O boards, I was expecting much worse. UW had 11. McCowan had a double double but 13 and 12 isn't nearly as big of a night as I expected. 2 years ago she destroyed Osahor, who was a really solid low post defender (saw her erase Brionna Jones from UMD and VPL from Oklahoma in Tourney games).

She only played 22 minutes. Not exactly sure what more she should accomplish? Her team had a 35 pt halftime lead.

That 2016-17 team also had muscular 6-5 post Chinwe Okorie. They alternated on Osahor and she was worn down in that 4th qtr. McCowan was fresh and we just kept feeding her. That was her coming out party. I think she had 20 in the 4th alone.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She only played 22 minutes. Not exactly sure what more she should accomplish? Her team had a 35 pt halftime lead.

That 2016-17 team also had muscular 6-5 post Chinwe Okorie. They alternated on Osahor and she was worn down in that 4th qtr. McCowan was fresh and we just kept feeding her. That was her coming out party. I think she had 20 in the 4th alone.

Well you said it yourself. She did more in the 4th quarter alone against a much better interior defender the last time she faced UW than she did tonight. Obviously they weren't dependent on a monster game from her but I just thought she would be able to do whatever she wanted to. You are correct, Osahor was spent and had nothing left by the end of that Tourney game.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Well you said it yourself. She did more in the 4th quarter alone against a much better interior defender the last time she faced UW than she did tonight. Obviously they weren't dependent on a monster game from her but I just thought she would be able to do whatever she wanted to. You are correct, Osahor was spent and had nothing left by the end of that Tourney game.

No need to debate it. That was a better UW team and a more limited MSU offense. We went where the clear advantage was in that 4th qtr.

If we had gone to McCowan constantly and played her 38 minutes tonight, her line would have prolly been 30-20. That wasn't needed to win or to improve as a team.

Reaction Score
I just realized ND and Marquette play this Saturday along with UCONN at Cal

I would hope to see some big crowds this weekend, some good competition
I read some ND stuff recently and apparently the game is at Marquette is sold out. The gym Marquette plays in is small though. It's a homecoming game for Arike. I can't speak for the Cal/UConn game. I hope it has a large audience. UConn deserves the attendance any where they go, and Cal is more talented than Oklahoma.

I'm sure some fans over there might have seen at least the score to the UConn/Okla game, so interest in the game should increase.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I read some ND stuff recently and apparently the game is at Marquette is sold out. The gym Marquette plays in is small though. It's a homecoming game for Arike. I can't speak for the Cal/UConn game. I hope it has a large audience. UConn deserves the attendance any where they go, and Cal is more talented than Oklahoma.

I'm sure some fans over there might have seen at least the score to the UConn/Okla game, so interest in the game should increase.

If Marquette shows up the way they did in Starkville and gets the crowd into it, ND could be in for a battle.

Reaction Score
If Marquette shows up the way they did in Starkville and gets the crowd into it, ND could be in for a battle.
I agree. Marquette took ND to overtime. I watched the game last year. ND needed a shot blocker on the inside bad. Turner would have been nice. However, Shepard had like 39 (?) and every point of hers was needed. Now both are there. .. I don't think there two bigs together is going to be good for them

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I agree. Marquette took ND to overtime. I watched the game last year. ND needed a shot blocker on the inside bad. Turner would have been nice. However, Shepard had like 39 (?) and every point of hers was needed. Now both are there. .. I don't think there two bigs together is going to be good for them

The ND size is a huge advantage, but Marquette is so fast and they had a great gameplan vs MSU. I'll watch with interest.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here’s a stat that should surprise you. Washington out-blocked MSU 8-2.

That is surprising. I don't think of any of UW's players as shot blockers. Rees has some potential. Other than that no size and nobody that's particularly long either. Had to look it up, 6 different players got at least one.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score

Which is why it's advantageous to have two really good Bigs. Not sure we could've beaten Washington that year had we only one of Okorie and McCowan, and that meant no beating UConn either.

Will be interesting to see if Carter can be good enough to play a good chunk of minutes in the tournament this year. With her, McCowan is only playing 25.7 minutes per game. Every UConn starter plays 30 per game, Asia Durr plays 30.7 min per game, Ionescu plays 34.4 mpg, Ogunbowale and Jackie Young plays 32 mpg. McCowan is the only POY candidate with so few minutes.

I think J. Carter has soft hands and sometimes just doesn't catch the ball. I think it has to do with awareness than anything, but she can certainly be reliable on weak side boards and putbacks and she's one of the top shot blockers in the SEC. If she can keep McCowan fresh enough in the tournament, that could be really useful.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Which is why it's advantageous to have two really good Bigs. Not sure we could've beaten Washington that year had we only one of Okorie and McCowan, and that meant no beating UConn either.

Will be interesting to see if Carter can be good enough to play a good chunk of minutes in the tournament this year. With her, McCowan is only playing 25.7 minutes per game. Every UConn starter plays 30 per game, Asia Durr plays 30.7 min per game, Ionescu plays 34.4 mpg, Ogunbowale and Jackie Young plays 32 mpg. McCowan is the only POY candidate with so few minutes.

I think J. Carter has soft hands and sometimes just doesn't catch the ball. I think it has to do with awareness than anything, but she can certainly be reliable on weak side boards and putbacks and she's one of the top shot blockers in the SEC. If she can keep McCowan fresh enough in the tournament, that could be really useful.

Doesn't look like it will happen this year, but Promise Taylor would be a huge addition to this team. She's big game ready from a D standpoint and would provide needed rest for T in those games.

Jess is going to be a great one in my opinion, but she's a true frosh and that's just gonna be obvious in tougher games. Hopefully she progresses quickly. I hate that Campbell hasn't developed into a better backup. I know she works hard.

Reaction Score
Bibby isnt a great defender yet she still starts and plays a lot. Against good teams like Oregon we need at least one guard on the court who can knock down 3's and that needs to be AEH. Last year Vic's daughter started and played a lot and while she drew the occasional charge her on ball defense against quick guards wasn't good at all. Vic plays upper classmen no matter what...his ol school mindset is players must "wait their turn". AEH needs minutes consistently every game

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Bibby isnt a great defender yet she still starts and plays a lot. Against good teams like Oregon we need at least one guard on the court who can knock down 3's and that needs to be AEH. Last year Vic's daughter started and played a lot and while she drew the occasional charge her on ball defense against quick guards wasn't good at all. Vic plays upper classmen no matter what...his ol school mindset is players must "wait their turn". AEH needs minutes consistently every game

There's so much wrong here it's not even worth a debate. I don't know what Vic did to your family, but let it go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom