Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Westbrook, CW, Walker, ONO likely starters with possibly Griffin for size or Bueckers as the 5th
Sedona Prince committing is the only way Paige is kept out of starting rotation 20-21.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m embarrassed to publicly admit that before she announced her verbal to UConn yesterday, I had never heard of Mir McLean, :eek: and me being a seer!?!. I know who she is now, and I’m very happy she chose to become a Husky. It looks like we got a good one.

I loved Scott Buckley’s assessment of McLean, who coached her the past two years at Roland Park. "I've coached for a long time, and I've never seen a kid rebound outside her zone like Mir."

I love the fact that she plays defense. With her leaping ability, I think she’s going to give the crowd their money's worth as Gabby did with some of the spectacular and unbelievable plays she made. Welcome to the family Mir. You have no idea how happy we are to have you. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you are saying. I also don't see BT either.

What I did see and like very much was the following:
Great set of feet and lateral quickness.
A nose for the ball.
A high level of athleticism especially when finishing at the rim.
Versatile defender-top of the press, wing, on the block.

Here what I saw and am not necessarily worried about:
No defined position-too slightly built to play PF and not good enough shooter to play wing or guard.
No evidence of mid range game or deep ball.
Not enough movement off the ball to be effective in a motion offense.
To say I'm was not impressed by her AAU coaching is a vast understatement. When your tallest player is trying to be a PG and facilitating the offense from the top of the key and can't make a cross court pass that's pretty sorry coaching. And yes I'm talking about Angel Reese. All of that will change when she gets to UCONN. She will be taught to move, shoot and will get the ball when she's open. For now Geno got himself an athlete. My guess is she'll grow into a complete basketball player.
Sounds a lot like early Gabby assessments....

Reaction Score
In 2020 if PB isn't the starting Point Guard then who is? I don't see CW playing point guard because she is much more valuable as a Shooting Guard.

Reaction Score
In 2020 if PB isn't the starting Point Guard then who is? I don't see CW playing point guard because she is much more valuable as a Shooting Guard.
Evina played mostly point at Tennessee. Of course, this isn't Tennessee, but I think she would be able to play it, though I would say she too is more valuable as a shooting guard than a point guard.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I've always felt the recruiting 'slump' was caused by Geno's long commitment to the national team. I think this past year was the last holdover from his time with dual responsibilities. It takes 3 or 4 years to build a good recruiting class. This coming class should be back on par.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Player development coach and assistant with AAU team Cal Swish:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m embarrassed to publicly admit that before she announced her verbal to UConn yesterday, I had never heard of Mir McLean, :eek: and me being a seer!?! I know who she is now, and I’m very happy she chose to become a Husky. It looks like we got a good one.

CARN: Seared seer or not, I'm still in your corner.

Reaction Score
Evina played mostly point at Tennessee. Of course, this isn't Tennessee, but I think she would be able to play it, though I would say she too is more valuable as a shooting guard than a point guard.
Mir thread!!

Reaction Score
All I was alluding to was the fact that being a starting PG from day one for GA is no easy feat. She may very well start. Either way, she'll play a lot.
Mir thread !!

Reaction Score
All I was alluding to was the fact that being a starting PG from day one for GA is no easy feat. She may very well start. Either way, she'll play a lot.
Prince or not, no way PB will not be the starting PG for most of the 20-21 season.
The point of the post was if you have Westbrook, Williams, Walker and ONO who is the 5th starter. The response was Prince would be the only one to keep PB out of the lineup. If ONO and Prince dominate and play as a force together, who do you bench out of Walker, Westbrook and Williams? Nobody disputes her talent, but who do you bench? Prince will have had a year of playing in the lineup under her belt and depending on her performance that would determine whether or not Paige becomes a starter. Westbrook is capable of running point, that is established.

Reaction Score
People are so easily sidetracked. Lol. There is clearly a PB and SP thread yet we MUST discuss them on the Mir thread. Good grief!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Player development coach and assistant with AAU team Cal Swish:

Slu what's this about? The Tweet is not loading for me which I think means it might have been deleted.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Mir, please don't listen to all these folks on here talking about emulating Gabby,
Be like Swin!!, A matter of fact be better than Swin, You have all the tools especially quickness to the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom