Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Baller just put this up yesterday, but if it's a repeat (recruiting thread or ...), better a repeat than a miss right?

ONE of the places this has already been posted is in THIS thread, 8 posts above yours.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
ONE of the places this has already been posted is in THIS thread, 8 posts above yours.

And Nan frowns on profanity.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can anyone help me understand this?

"McLean went into the recruiting process wanting to go somewhere warm. She had received offers from more 30 schools throughout the country, including Florida, Miami, North Carolina State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, but a meeting last month with Geno Auriemma and Dailey helped sway her.

Everything in her heart that she was looking for happened right there,” Ayanna said. “When we went to the other campuses, it was all the bells and whistles, but it was just that one thing. That one thing didn’t get us to commit. When we left UConn, we could immediately identify that one thing, but that one thing wasn’t the biggest thing after all. It wasn’t the temperature, it wasn’t the fancy dorm rooms.”

Rather, it was a conversation about life after college that ultimately steered McLean to the Northeast. McLean, who hopes to eventually play in the WNBA or join the CIA, believes UConn sets her up best for future success.

“They had the best investment in me after my four years of college,” McLean explained."

Geno and CD spoke to the whole person? It's just been bugging me.

The article, cited earlier: McLean goes from basketball novice to UConn in short time

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can anyone help me understand this?

"McLean went into the recruiting process wanting to go somewhere warm. She had received offers from more 30 schools throughout the country, including Florida, Miami, North Carolina State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, but a meeting last month with Geno Auriemma and Dailey helped sway her.

Everything in her heart that she was looking for happened right there,” Ayanna said. “When we went to the other campuses, it was all the bells and whistles, but it was just that one thing. That one thing didn’t get us to commit. When we left UConn, we could immediately identify that one thing, but that one thing wasn’t the biggest thing after all. It wasn’t the temperature, it wasn’t the fancy dorm rooms.”

Rather, it was a conversation about life after college that ultimately steered McLean to the Northeast. McLean, who hopes to eventually play in the WNBA or join the CIA, believes UConn sets her up best for future success.

“They had the best investment in me after my four years of college,” McLean explained."

Geno and CD spoke to the whole person? It's just been bugging me.

The article, cited earlier: McLean goes from basketball novice to UConn in short time
Not understanding what bugged you, or what you didn't get. I think it's tremendous for UCONN to recruit the way they did and I took 2 things away from that article:

1) Other schools still seem to think the "bells and whistles" are what recruits want. Maybe some day. Annie Strother didn't care about Pat and the "T-shirt-wearing-letter-from-indoor-blimp-dropping-name-in-lights-showcasing" Lady Vols.

2) Mir specifically mentioned UCONN wasn't all about the bells and whistles. It was about investing in her and her life after college.

Those 2 things should be tacked up on every recruit's fridge. I think it speaks volumes about UCONN, the quality of the program, and how organic the approach is from Geno and Chris. Any kid who is really swayed by the glitz and glamor might as well just go to Vegas cuz they are more likely to lose gambling like that. I think it's just a tremendous advertisement for UCONN...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not understanding what bugged you, or what you didn't get. I think it's tremendous for UCONN to recruit the way they did and I took 2 things away from that article:

1) Other schools still seem to think the "bells and whistles" are what recruits want. Maybe some day. Annie Strother didn't care about Pat and the "T-shirt-wearing-letter-from-indoor-blimp-dropping-name-in-lights-showcasing" Lady Vols.

2) Mir specifically mentioned UCONN wasn't all about the bells and whistles. It was about investing in her and her life after college.

Those 2 things should be tacked up on every recruit's fridge. I think it speaks volumes about UCONN, the quality of the program, and how organic the approach is from Geno and Chris. Any kid who is really swayed by the glitz and glamor might as well just go to Vegas cuz they are more likely to lose gambling like that. I think it's just a tremendous advertisement for UCONN...

"When we left UConn, we could immediately identify that one thing, but that one thing wasn’t the biggest thing after all. " Well here is the heart of my confusion. Maybe it is simply a misquote.

PS. Day later I may get it. They found the "one thing" at UConn AND then they found the one true thing.

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
"When we left UConn, we could immediately identify that one thing, but that one thing wasn’t the biggest thing after all. " Well here is the heart of my confusion. Maybe it is simply a misquote.

PS. Day later I may get it. They found the "one thing" at UConn AND then they found the one true thing.

My read is that UConn had the "one thing", but it turned out not to be the really important thing they found there.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

So she said every school had "one thing" which I took to mean every school has a selling point (eg. weather). UConn had its "one thing" or its selling point as well but that wasn't why she choose UConn, other factors mattered more to her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So they thought a warm climate was the thing that was important but every where they went that had a warm climate still didn't click. And then they went to Uconn and as they left they realized a warm climate wasn't that important after all - what Uconn was offering was the truly important thing - they were willing to invest in her future after her 4 years in college - and that clicked!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Every year, around senior day, we all marvel at the development and growth of each respective group of graduating seniors. But we often miss the enormous influence of Geno and especially CD in helping to mold UConn WBB recruits into well rounded young ladies. Many HS recruits don’t always get that aspect of a “UConn experience.” It’s not all about basketball. To the credit of Mir and her mother, they get it.

Reaction Score

“Mir McLean – 2020 – 5-11 – Forward – Baltimore, Maryland – UConn commit still fun to watch…Exceptional athleticism comes with intensity and aggressiveness…Effort on the glass makes vertical all the more eye catching…Lateral speed and quickness make her an asset in virtually any defensive approach in half or fullcourt….Additional depth in perimeter skill set will create headaches for opposing defenders…Stood out in combine testing”

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
In the post on Team Takeover they feature a point guard elevating and taking a jump shot with perfect form...I noticed her name was Maya and she wore number 23...coincidence...I don't think so...Maya Moore has inspired a generation of women basketball players.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

“Mir McLean – 2020 – 5-11 – Forward – Baltimore, Maryland – UConn commit still fun to watch…Exceptional athleticism comes with intensity and aggressiveness…Effort on the glass makes vertical all the more eye catching…Lateral speed and quickness make her an asset in virtually any defensive approach in half or fullcourt….Additional depth in perimeter skill set will create headaches for opposing defenders…Stood out in combine testing”
"UConn commit still fun to watch..."

What's with the "still"? Does the writer assume that most high school players who commit to UConn will become boring to watch as soon as they announce their commitment? I'm glad that at least he thinks that Mir is an exception to that general rule.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"UConn commit still fun to watch..."

What's with the "still"? Does the writer assume that most high school players who commit to UConn will become boring to watch as soon as they announce their commitment? I'm glad that at least he thinks that Mir is an exception to that general rule.

Think he's just paying her a compliment while noting she's a UConn commit.

Reaction Score
Only gets better for UCONN...….The new season is right around the corner...…...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom