Mir McLean, Live and In Person | The Boneyard

Mir McLean, Live and In Person

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I got to watch Mir McLean and her Roland Park Country School team against St. John's Catholic Prep in Buckeysville, MD. St. Johns had beaten Roland Park at Roland Park earlier in the season. St. John's won this game as well. After a 25-25 first half, St. Johns got hot and won 65-47. Roland Park's record dropped to 10-7. Mir fouled out on a strange ticky-tack foul with 15 seconds remaining.

I had the pleasure of watching and chatting with an eminent Boneyarder, so my attention was diverted at times. I invite him to chime in. Unlike last night, I did not take detailed notes or stats. Instead, I'll present several impressions.

Mir was the best player on the floor and the obvious focus of the defense. St. Johns has some fairly big and athletic players who surrounded her frequently. The St. Johns team also pressed full court on most (all?) possessions. I am guessing at Mir's stats. She swished a 3-pointer, hit some layups and short-range shots, and made (I believe) all of her free throws (about 6-6 with nice form). But generally, she did not look for outside shots. She generally tried to attack the basket. She got some shots off cleanly, while others were contested. She was called for traveling at least twice and took a big Eurostep (Asianstep?) a few times. My guess would be about 20 points, maybe half of Roland Park's 47 points. Mir clearly had double-digit rebounds. My best guess is 16-18. When she grabs the ball, she stands out--literally, because she's a foot higher than everyone else.

Mir seems to be a competent ball handler. She tried to beat double-teams with the dribble and did so sometimes, while losing the ball 2 or 3 times.

Her speed seems good. She was probably the fastest player on the floor. She does not seem as fast as Aubrey, however, as very few players are.

Mir's strength is her leaping ability. (Her listed 5'11" height seems about right.) She gets off the floor faster than anyone this side of Gabby Williams. Like Gabby, she can go up a second time. She also rebounds the ball near its apex. Think Gabby. Think also Aubrey. Think Human Pogo Stick. Overall, I see her as a slightly shorter version of Aubrey. She has the same leaping ability, perhaps more; she has perhaps a bit less speed; and she has the same reluctance to shoot from the outside. Can she dunk? I don't know, but she may be close.

Mir has played volleyball, done track and field, and played basketball in high school. She will focus on hoops at UConn, which will help her development. She is raw but has some incredible tools. Few players have her vertical leap. She is definitely the rebounding McLean.

For Eric: Mir's attitude was fine, and her effort was excellent. In some videos of the Middletown game, she appeared to be taking plays off. There was none of that tonight. Absolutely none. Both Mir and Saylor play hard. When they get to UConn, they will play even harder.

I hope to see her again this season.

Edit--Additional thought: Remember the inbound plays when Aubrey was defending on the baseline and snatched the would-be passes out of the air? Yep, Mir did that tonight. She should be devastating in the full-court press.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
I got to watch Mir McLean and her Roland Park Country School team against St. John's Catholic Prep in Buckeysville, MD. St. Johns had beaten Roland Park at Roland Park earlier in the season. St. John's won this game as well. After a 25-25 first half, St. Johns got hot and won 65-47. Roland Park's record dropped to 10-7. Mir fouled out on a strange ticky-tack foul with 15 seconds remaining.

I had the pleasure of watching and chatting with an eminent Boneyarder, so my attention was diverted at times. I invite him to chime in. Unlike last night, I did not take detailed notes or stats. Instead, I'll present several impressions.

Mir was the best player on the floor and the obvious focus of the defense. St. Johns has some fairly big and athletic players who surrounded her frequently. The St. Johns team also pressed full court on most (all?) possessions. I am guessing at Mir's stats. She swished a 3-pointer, hit some layups and short-range shots, and made (I believe) all of her free throws (about 6-6 with nice form). But generally, she did not look for outside shots. She generally tried to attack the basket. She got some shots off cleanly, while others were contested. She was called for traveling at least twice and took a big Eurostep (Asianstep?) a few times. My guess would be about 20 points, maybe half of Roland Park's 47 points. Mir clearly had double-digit rebounds. My best guess is 16-18. When she grabs the ball, she stands out--literally, because she's a foot higher than everyone else.

Mir seems to be a competent ball handler. She tried to beat double-teams with the dribble and did so sometimes, while losing the ball 2 or 3 times.

Her speed seems good. She was probably the fastest player on the floor. She does not seem as fast as Aubrey, however, as very few players are.

Mir's strength is her leaping ability. (Her listed 5'11" height seems about right.) She gets off the floor faster than anyone this side of Gabby Williams. Like Gabby, she can go up a second time. She also rebounds the ball near its apex. Think Gabby. Think also Aubrey. Think Human Pogo Stick. Overall, I see her as a slightly shorter version of Aubrey. She has the same leaping ability, perhaps more; she has perhaps a bit less speed; and she has the same reluctance to shoot from the outside. Can she dunk? I don't know, but she may be close.

Mir has played volleyball, done track and field, and played basketball in high school. She will focus on hoops at UConn, which will help her development. She is raw but has some incredible tools. Few players have her vertical leap. She is definitely the rebounding McLean.

For Eric: Mir's attitude was fine, and her effort was excellent. In some videos of the Middletown game, she appeared to be taking plays off. There was none of that tonight. Absolutely none. Both Mir and Saylor play hard. When they get to UConn, they will play even harder.

Edit--Additional thought: Remember the inbound plays when Aubrey was defending on the baseline and snatched the would-be passes out of the air? Yep, Mir did that tonight. She should be devastating in the full-court press.
Milford, did Azzi Fudd play in this game for St. John's?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, did Azzi Fudd play in this game for St. John's?
No. The names are confusing. Azzi plays for St. John's College Prep in D.C. Today's game involved St. John's Catholic Prep of Frederick County, Maryland.

Azzi is the best player on the floor in every game, expect maybe when playing against Paige.

HGN

Reaction Score
No. The names are confusing. Azzi plays for St. John's College Prep in D.C. Today's game involved St. John's Catholic Prep of Frederick County, Maryland.

Azzi is the best player on the floor in every game, expect maybe when playing against Paige.
Ok, thanks . Sorry for the confusion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
JUST WOW!! 2 future players in 2 days? Keep it going!

Edwards, Gabriel, Muhl, DeBerry and Brady - when you going to see them all?!!! :p
I'm waiting for the proceeds from my prior reviews before I book flights to Canada and Croatia. :D

I hope to see Azzi on Sunday. I had thought about tonight, but then I remembered that UConn has a game against the Evil Empire.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting for the proceeds from my prior reviews before I book flights to Canada and Croatia. :D

I hope to see Azzi on Sunday. I had thought about tonight, but then I remembered that UConn has a game against the Evil Empire.

MILFORD: very interesting thread. Appreciated. I don't remember if you played (am thinking you must have), or coached (am thinking you should have) or scouted (you observe like could be one).

Reaction Score

Mir sounds like a Kalana Greene pre-ACL hybrid, possibly more athletic given they’re about the same height. Hope you make it to see Azzi!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Any video footage of Paige against Azzi exist?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mir sounds like a Kalana Greene pre-ACL hybrid, possibly more athletic given they’re about the same height. Hope you make it to see Azzi!
I was expecting a Kalana comparison, but I think KG was a better offensive player. She also had less competition. I think her sophomore year, KG averaged about 24/15/9/9. She was a quadruple-double threat. Mir looks taller and longer than KG.

I think a better comparison may be a slightly shorter Aubrey. Mir’s jumping is like Gabby’s. She explodes off the floor faster than anyone on the floor.

I will see Azzi, likely on Sunday. Mir plays 60+ minutes away. Saylor is 75+ minutes. Azzi is 25 minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fantastic clip. Paige during her bun period. Guess too many people were confusing her with DT. ;)

Reaction Score
Had the opportunity to attend the Roland Park Country School (RPCS) versus St. John’s Catholic Prep game last evening with Milford Husky. A true basketball aficionado and terrific person. I hope to join the “Voice of Reason” and see Azzi Fudd against traditional Washington, DC power Good Counsel on February 2nd.

This was the second time that I had the opportunity to watch Mir McLean play in person. I would concur with Milford Husky’s earlier comments but would add the following. She is deceptively fast and as noted a terrific leaper. Like Gabby Williams, she can make others look like they are glued to the ground with how fast she attacks the glass for a rebound not once but multiple times on the same possession. Graduation losses at RPCS have left that team quite depleted which allows the opposition to key largely on her. She often uses a “euro step” to try to avoid defenders when driving in the lane for a layup. I think that when she gets to UCONN the coaches will likely have her eschew the frequency of using that move and have her just continue to accelerate and elevate to the rim.

Finally, she has a high Basketball IQ. She often directed the offense and set-up teammates frequently. I look forward to watching her play on a team with talented teammates.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In high school players like KG and it sounds like Mir and I think Aubrey can live at the basket but in college they usually have to develop their mid-range/3 point skills in order to continue to thrive. KG became a more dangerous player with her 15 footer on the baseline. There are not many 6'1" or shorter players who can thrive in college shooting lay-ups. (And basically none in the WNBA!)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would love to see Mir (and Aubrey) develop a floater in the lane. Mir really does make other players look as if they are glued to the floor. (Good description, RoadWarrior!) A teardrop released from 9-10’ off the floor will not be blocked.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have the impression (not sure if it is well-founded) that Mir has a different body type than Gabby or Aubrey -- more "cannonball" (like Arike Ogunbuwale) and less "gazelle" (Kalana). Like Arike, Mir looked like she could get a first down on 4th-and-1, if she were asked to do that.

Is that a correct impression? If so, that would allow her to play more physically in the paint than the other players who have been mentioned.

Reaction Score
I have the impression (not sure if it is well-founded) that Mir has a different body type than Gabby or Aubrey -- more "cannonball" (like Arike Ogunbuwale) and less "gazelle" (Kalana). Like Arike, Mir looked like she could get a first down on 4th-and-1, if she were asked to do that.

Is that a correct impression? If so, that would allow her to play more physically in the paint than the other players who have been mentioned.
Physically very similar to Griffin only shorter. She's not very physical, mainly just jumps.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
On 4th and 1, Mir would leap over the defense, not slash through it.

Sorta like ...

1579892470857.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

IDK. Looks quite a bit like Kalana here.

mir-mclean-eieatl18-600.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom