Mir McLean, Live and In Person | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean, Live and In Person

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Basket 1 show quickness to the ball, tenacity, good hands, and athleticism to put up the shot in a crowd.

Basket 2 shows a bit of a fake and then good form on a long 3-pointer.

Basket 3 shows a decent ball fake and handle to get inside and good body control and elevation on the shot.

Basket 4 shows speed to get down the floor and ability to shoot with the left hand.

Basket 5 is classic Mir: elevating to snatch a rebound and putting it back in.

Basket 6 shows the ability to drive through traffic and find an open teammate.

Basket 7 shows her speed down the court and body control on a shot.

Basket 8 shows a ball fake, dribble, and midrange jumper/floater.

Basket 9 shows tenacity on defense, quick hands, and good body control on the shot.

Basket 10 is another classic ball magnet offensive putback. She has quick reflexes and explosiveness both to the ball and to the hoop.

Basket 11 shows her quickness off the bounce.

I see a lot of Gabby Williams (maybe not the passing skills) in Mir.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Edwards is not a post now nor will she ever have to be a post at UCONN. ONO or DeBerry or Brady will man the UCONN post during Edwards entire tenure at UCONN.
Next year I foresee that she will have to be Olivia's main backup in the post. She is certainly better suited for that role than Aubrey, and I don't think Piath will be ready to do that.

Reaction Score
Edwards will be a year and a half older than in that U19 game. Hopefully she will pick up things quickly. Her coaches say she is destined for greatness but I've learned to not take HS coaches too seriously. 25 min from Edwards/Gabriel is an optimistic upper limit IMO. More likely under 20 min., and that would presuppose that Gabriel will get into a game before Geno empties his bench. Down the road Edwards could become an integral part of the rotation and a starter but Gabriel is a project, as are many posts coming out of HS. Maybe she will surprise and be able to get 8-10 min/game but that is a dim hope, not an expectation. In a year or two she could become a significant part of the rotation. She is the physical presence UConn has missed for several years.
I think UConn will get all the minutes they need from Westbrook and Bueckers in place of Dangerfield. Of course I'll feel better when Westbrook is off crutches and practicing. With a year playing together and an off-season of individual work this year's underclassmen should be more like what we fans are used to seeing.

I am reminded of the 2007 to 2008 teams. They went from a 4 loss season to a one loss season. I forgot that they entered the NCAA's undefeated and ranked No 1 in 2008.
Westbrook has been off crutches for quite sometime; she is always actively assisting any way she can in pre-game warmups. She appears to be very popular with all her teammates and seems to be in top physical condition as well.

Reaction Score
Westbrook has been off crutches for quite sometime; she is always actively assisting any way she can in pre-game warmups. She appears to be very popular with all her teammates and seems to be in top physical condition as well.

My last attended game was Tennessee and she was still on crutches during pre-game warmups. I'm happy to see your post.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She also has a wonderful post game. There's some Gabby Williams and some Napheesa Collier in her game. Those two were eventually seen as excellent players who could do just about anything. I think Edwards will eventually be seen the same way.

How soon do you anticipate seeing Mir on the court getting "meaningful" minutes next year? Some of the in-coming freshmen are going to be needed to help immediately.

Reaction Score
How soon do you anticipate seeing Mir on the court getting "meaningful" minutes next year? Some of the in-coming freshmen are going to be needed to help immediately.
We can not expect Mir or Aubrey to play with front lines of South Carolina and Baylor or Oregon or Stamford but we are in the Big East which is so bad they will judged against that lower skill set.

Reaction Score
We can not expect Mir or Aubrey to play with front lines of South Carolina and Baylor or Oregon or Stamford but we are in the Big East which is so bad they will judged against that lower skill set.
Big East is bad?! With UConn, that conference could be fourth or fifth in the Massey ratings next season. The men happen to be first in the Massey ratings! This will help UConn immeasurably in the long run.

Reaction Score
Just look at the B12. Get past Baylor and not one ranked team. And the B1G is doing something this year but they have been a P5 conference in name only for most of the last half dozen or more years. UConn is exchanging USF & a bunch of 85-200 teams for DePaul and a bunch of 35-85 teams.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New article on Mir in the Courant:

But as much as McLean’s looking forward to all of that and other fun senior year events, finally getting to embark on her collegiate career at UConn can’t come soon enough.

“I’m really excited to get up there, like I’m itching to get up there,” McLean told The Courant in a recent phone interview.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great article about a very special young lady. I liked this piece.

McLean has always been artistic and enjoyed drawing, oil painting and coloring as a way to de-stress. McLean says that when she’s mad at school, she often turns to basketball; mad at basketball, she turns to school; mad at both, she turns to drawing.

I see a few Caricatures of Geno in her future. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like reading this:

"McLean’s next step was to develop more of a face-up game, create her own shot, work on ball-handling and get more comfortable shooting on the perimeter. Steinbach saw growth in those areas and only expects her to continue improving under the tutelage of Auriemma and his staff. But what she was most impressed by were the intangibles that McLean brought to the court in a season where, with so many new faces, the team leaned on her for leadership and bringing people together off the court.

“She’s grown up very quickly in the last two seasons,” Steinbach said, “and it’ll be exciting to watch how that will translate to the college level.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Next year I foresee that she will have to be Olivia's main backup in the post. She is certainly better suited for that role than Aubrey, and I don't think Piath will be ready to do that.

Edwards and Brady will also give opposing coaches something to think about. They’re going to give the opposition nightmares. Starting season, Geno can put 5 players on the floor that can shoot, will play with a sense of urgency, and won’t take plays off.

Aubrey will come off the bench again as 6th man bringing energy, and making plays as soon as she hits the floor. But now she’ll know what she’s doing out there, and won’t be so quick to defer to upper classmen on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edwards and Brady will also give opposing coaches something to think about. They’re going to give the opposition nightmares. Starting season, Geno can put 5 players on the floor that can shoot, will play with a sense of urgency, and won’t take plays off, and have Aubrey as 6th man again Bringing energy and making plays as soon as she hits the floor.
I've been watching the early 2000s teams and I feel like these upcoming recruiting classes are going to recreate those years. You look at the skills of these recruits and in almost every case you can find an early 2000s player that provided a similar role and set of skills. Its going to be fun!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I've been watching the early 2000s teams and I feel like these upcoming recruiting classes are going to recreate those years. You look at the skills of these recruits and in almost every case you can find an early 2000s player that provided a similar role and set of skills. Its going to be fun!
Absolutely! Did the same thing and thought the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom