Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
“Extremely smart and athletic and she has a lot of potential?”
What else is there?
Sounds like a coaches dream.
Couldn’t tap that potential?
What would you expect Geno to say when a player announces they are transferring?

“She’s too small to play the 4 or 5 and she’s not skilled enough to play the 2 or 3 at UConn.”

While that might be closer to the truth, there’s no reason for a coach to say that when a player is leaving the program.

Reaction Score
That’s the problem when you’re a tweener. Not really a guard and not really a forward.
As a kid I was a semi gym rat. I'd have been thrilled with the ego trip of being selected in a program like Geno's. But I wanted to play, sitting for a player isn't really living. The game is the thing, even at a much less ranked program if the playing time was much more. That I understand. Tweeners are sometimes more desirable on smaller programs --we once called the "utility players".

Reaction Score
“Extremely smart and athletic and she has a lot of potential?”
What else is there?
Sounds like a coaches dream.
Couldn’t tap that potential?
there are many players that have the physical/mental ability to play basketball or any sport at the highest level, but it takes much more than sheer ability to become a success.............specific skill set, hard work, determination and a whole lot of luck are the often-missing ingredients that separate the most successful players from the pack............add bad timing as the extra whammy that can sometimes lead to less than stellar results too.......in Mir's case I think her skillset simply didn't match up with the needs of this particular UConn team......I expect she will find a more suitable program that can take better advantage of her abilities going forward.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Calling Coach Berube!
Not sure she’d fit well in Carla’s offense. What position does she play? No guard skills and too small for the post.

Gabby didn’t have guard skills initially but her strength, leaping ability, and passing skills made her perfect for the 4 position in Geno’s offense. She set up at the elbow and went to work, either shooting a short jumper, driving to the basket or creating for her teammates. Geno’s offense often ran through Gabby. Mir has none of those skills. She can rebound and run which should allow her to play somewhere in Div 1.

Hope she lands in a good spot.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what the record is for mid-season transfers, but it will surely be broken this year. With the end of the fall semester at hand, there are currently 98 D1 WBB transfers in the portal, and that does not include Mir or anyone else in the past 24 hrs.
It looks like post Covid and post Portal it’s a whole new world out there

Reaction Score
I hate to see her go. :( Players want to play. I'm happy for her, but very sad and disappointed at the same time. There have too many games where she could have been put into the game and wasn't. She's a sophomore. She should know the system and be able to contribute something at this point. Now that she is in the transfer portal, I can say what I've been thinking. She's gotten very little playing time since she's been here. I was wondering how much longer she would be content to sit on the bench and watch others play. Geno may never divulge his real reason for not playing her more, and that's ok. That comes under the heading of things we don't necessarily need to know. That's between him and her. I'm sure he has told her why. UConn has played 8 games. Mir has played in only 3 of them for a grand total of 8 minutes. From the outside looking in, it appears that Geno to date, has little to no faith or trust in Mir. She tried it, it didn't work. Time to move on.

View attachment 71806
I assume she's already had a talk with Geno and her position coach before making this decision. No doubt her parents are frustrated as well. 8 games of 200 minutes = 1600 minutes. She was only worthy of playing 8 of them? :( Something is wrong here. I confess to not knowing what it is. I'm not going to guess or speculate. But I certainly don't blame her for wanting to leave. She was not here to sit, cheerlead or spectate. She was here to play!! She won't have any difficulty finding a program that will appreciate her, cultivate her talents and put her on the floor. A program that will be glad to have her. This is a very disturbing event. I'm almost at the point of wondering why he recruited her if he's not going to play her. Geno can't afford any more defections this year. I'm not happy about this at all. :mad: Good luck Mir. I wish you all the best at your new school and the rest of your college career going forward.

Reaction Score
Can't be 5'11" with minimal ball handling skills and no shot and play at this level. Wish her well. Wasn't going to work here. Could do really, really well at a mid-major with her athleticism.
So why recruit her. Geno and staff knew of her abilities and what she couldn’t do well. I do know she played hard for her size. Geno has to trust his players give bench players more time to develop on the court and not the bench. But I been knew Mir would transfer because she was so excited to be part of the Huskies but disappointed she didn’t get in games as an McDonald’s All American

Reaction Score
I hate to see her go. :( Players want to play. I'm happy for her, but very sad and disappointed at the same time. There have too many games where she could have been put into the game and wasn't. She's a sophomore. She should know the system and be able to contribute something at this point. Now that she is in the transfer portal, I can say what I've been thinking. She's gotten very little playing time since she's been here. I was wondering how much longer she would be content to sit on the bench and watch others play. Geno may never divulge his real reason for not playing her more, and that's ok. That comes under the heading of things we don't necessarily need to know. That's between him and her. I'm sure he has told her why. UConn has played 8 games. Mir has played in only 3 of them for a grand total of 8 minutes. From the outside looking in, it appears that Geno to date, has little to no faith or trust in Mir. She tried it, it didn't work. Time to move on.

View attachment 71806
I assume she's already had a talk with Geno and her position coach before making this decision. No doubt her parents are frustrated as well. 8 games of 200 minutes = 1600 minutes. She was only worthy of playing 8 of them? :( Something is wrong here. I confess to not knowing what it is. I'm not going to guess or speculate. But I certainly don't blame her for wanting to leave. She was not here to sit, cheerlead or spectate. She was here to play!! She won't have any difficulty finding a program that will appreciate her, cultivate her talents and put her on the floor. A program that will be glad to have her. This is a very disturbing event. I'm almost at the point of wondering why he recruited her if he's not going to play her. Geno can't afford any more defections this year. I'm not happy about this at all. :mad: Good luck Mir. I wish you all the best at your new school and the rest of your college career going forward.
Thank you for expressing it a thousand times better than I could
Best wishes Mir

Reaction Score
Was it necessary to have that last sentence? I'm sure it wasn't meant towards anyone in particular, but given the topic being discussed and the individual player central to it, it just seems in poor taste
I’m not up on these things but shouldn’t that post be removed?
it doesn’t fit the BY code to me

Reaction Score
What would you expect Geno to say when a player announces they are transferring?

“She’s too small to play the 4 or 5 and she’s not skilled enough to play the 2 or 3 at UConn.”

While that might be closer to the truth, there’s no reason for a coach to say that when a player is leaving the program.
The trauma of leaving, of losing a friends, of transfering (it isn't easy) . I'd be angry with Geno for month if he spoke that truth. That's why funerals speak so highly the "dear departed". It just isn't the place to speak the truth. I keep waiting for the day when "friends" will have nice words for me (???)

Reaction Score
Gabby was very different from Mir. In fact, Gabby was unique in our program. She was nearly an Olympian in the high jump at age 15 or so. Jay Bilas called her the best player in America. She's much stronger than Mir. She made more super-human plays than anyone except maybe Maya. Gabby is improving her jump shot and doing very well in Europe. I expect her to have a breakout season in the WNBA.
Gabby was a unicorn alright
She was unique and we truly were privileged to watch her for four years
It really isn’t fair to compare any other player to her

Reaction Score
Can anybody think of a UConn transfer in the past ten years that you wished they could have been able to keep? Very few have made long lasting impacts on their new programs from what I have observed......
Does Azurá Stevens count. Had she stayed at UConn I believe they would’ve won the national championship that year. And she’s doing nicely in the pros

Reaction Score
It always saddens me when a UCONN player transfers but in the end I hope they find happiness. Mir has incredible athletic and academic abilities and I hope she finds the right fit. I will certainly miss her insane hops and contagious smile :D

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score

View attachment 71806
I’m in your camp! I didn’t like an earlier supposedly pro Mir post on here that said putting lipstick on a pig. Recruiting acumen definitely amiss here. 5’11” post, doesn’t make sense. Geno and UConn play for NCs. Gabby was a world class high jumper. What are they thinking? I could comment on Saylor too. Looks haphazard! These are young people. Especially in a “workplace” like UConn, you gotta really take great care in your selections.

Reaction Score
B972E526-7EA8-49DB-8C4B-8446AB9C803E.gif

Sorry to see Mir leave. She can feel proud that she was selected and played for the most successful team and coach in women’s college basketball.

Good luck in your future endeavors wherever it leads you to. You will be missed.

Reaction Score
Does Azurá Stevens count. Had she stayed at UConn I believe they would’ve won the national championship that year. And she’s doing nicely in the pros
as I remember she transferred into UConn and then unexpectedly left to go pro even though she had another year of eligibility ........it was very disappointing and left UConn shorthanded in the post....

Reaction Score
2021 - Saylor Poffenbarger
2020- Mir McLean
2019- Anna Makurat (pro)
2017-Megan Walker (pro), Mikayla Coombs, Lexi Gordon, Andra Espinoza Hunter
2015-De'Janae Boykin
2014-Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards
2011-Brianna Banks
2010- Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Samarie Walker

Players by class since 2010 who have not stayed the full four years. Uconn is by no means new to transfers. In my opinion, the ones whose departures caused the biggest impacts were Megan Walker not returning last year, and Samarie Walker not providing extra depth Maya Moore's senior year. But for the most part, a lot of these players were going to struggle to see court time. Thankfully the trend of transfers has not appeared to negatively impact the program's recruiting efforts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2021 - Saylor Poffenbarger
2020- Mir McLean
2019- Anna Makurat (pro)
2017-Megan Walker (pro), Mikayla Coombs, Lexi Gordon, Andra Espinoza Hunter
2015-De'Janae Boykin
2014-Courtney Ekmark, Sadie Edwards
2011-Brianna Banks
2010- Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Samarie Walker

Players by class since 2010 who have not stayed the full four years. Uconn is by no means new to transfers. In my opinion, the ones whose departures caused the biggest impacts were Megan Walker not returning last year, and Samarie Walker not providing extra depth Maya Moore's senior year. But for the most part, a lot of these players were going to struggle to see court time. Thankfully the trend of transfers has not appeared to negatively impact the program's recruiting efforts.
Need to add Natalie Butler to list class of 2013 as a transfer + Morgan Tuck and Azura Stevens to the (Pro) list.

Reaction Score
So why recruit her. Geno and staff knew of her abilities and what she couldn’t do well. I do know she played hard for her size. Geno has to trust his players give bench players more time to develop on the court and not the bench. But I been knew Mir would transfer because she was so excited to be part of the Huskies but disappointed she didn’t get in games as an McDonald’s All American
I don't understand your line of thought and others that seem so upset with Geno and staff about this. He was just watching her from the stands and has some tape. You think he magically knows how the player will perform once in college?

A few years ago on his show the spoke of the recruitment of Moriah Jefferson and how they thought they wouldn't get her. And when Geno asked what is she good at- the coaching staff told him "that she's fast." Then he said he asked what else - and they again told him "Well, She's fast." I believe Geno would have went to see her and wouldn't it be fair to assume that he recruited her with a belief that he could help her do many other things?

So why would anyone on here assume anything different with Mir? Who would have known with 100% certainty for example that he outside shot wouldn't improve? Who would've known with 100% certainty that she wouldn't have developed a terrific handle/ Who would’ve known that she would have had no shot to be a defensive terror?

Wouldn't it be logical to assume that Geno was hoping for the above things among other factors and he just didn't see enough of them in his opinion?

I don’t understand why so many posters on here want to be negative with all the success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom