Mir in transfer portal | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Mir in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno develops his bench by playing the players that earn their playing time. I think this (transferring) may say more about a player's dedication than Geno. Every player that comes here knows what Geno is like and what is expected. If they don't really have what it takes, they leave. As has been stated, she had multiple opportunities, along with others, and yet here we are.
Finally some logic, some times it just does not work. When they are recruited they are told up front what is expected and what his standards for playing are if they think that will change that is on them. The transfer portal has it's good and bad points. That being said I wish Mir nothing but the best and hope she finds what she is looking for.

Reaction Score
I don't know why both can't be true Geno should develop his bench more (it wasn't all that long ago that he rarely took transfers) and for some players UCONN isn't going to be a great fit for various reasons.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Recent coaches/recruiting coordinators to follow her on IG are from:
Virginia Tech
Tulsa
George Washington
Ohio Valley
Mississippi State
Interesting.
Kenny Brooks does a pretty good job of finding the right kinds of transfers (for his style of play) for Va. Tech. ND plays them every year and they always make solid contributions.

Reaction Score
This.

Unless those on here are watching practice every day, it is just not on to offer generalizations on a player's talents - shooting, ball handling, etc... Those who have played at the high school and college levels know how difficult it is to play in those exceptionally rare occasions when called upon. Every whistle means a turn to look at the scorer's table. Every shot carries, "If I miss this, I'm out." Same for a missed rebound, or turnover. There is no settling into the game. Hence, those of us who watch games only, cannot accurately judge the true capabilities of this player. I was impressed with her for whatever brief opportunity coach afforded her - she certainly gave max effort. But off that sample size?

I suppose the inexorable need to validate everything coach does drives a lot of this, but, for me, it's just wrong. Horses for courses.

Her reasons for this are her own - full stop. I join those on here wishing her the best. Hopefully time will afford her the opportunity to make whatever her dreams for her college experience was to be come true.
It always kills me when I hear variations of “He never gave her a chance”, “She only played garbage minutes! How could he judge her on that?” Let’s not forget, he sees them everyday in practice! Now you may argue that practice is different from games. That’s certainly true but that doesn’t invalidate what he sees in practice. He has consistently said that players earn their minutes in practice! Now it becomes an argument between a position that game play is the only fair way to evaluate a player vs Geno’s belief that practice is where players earn their minutes. I’m with Geno on this one.
with the two physically dominant front court players coming in next season, she would likely have a hard time getting on the court..........as somebody already posted, she would fit in fine at another of the Big East programs...........
Even with Geno, Tara, Dawn, etc, recruiting is an inexact science. It seems to me that in both Aubrey’s and Muir’s cases, he was trying to score another Gabby. However, neither of these young ladies were able (the jury is still out on Aubrey) to acquire enough skills beyond their athleticism to reach (or even approach) Gabby’s level. I guess this reinforces just how rare and special, Gabby really was for us. Wishing Mir all the best, I think she can be a star if she finds the right program. Still pulling for Aubrey, who has it all except for the offense, and looking forward to Ayanna, who has perhaps the best chance Imo to become a bigger, stronger Gabby if she continues to develop her game for next year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, Mo was highly ranked. But Geno also initially recruited and the backed off his recruitment of Sam Brunelle who was ranked #1 in her class for a time, fell to 6th in the final ESPN rankings and is now a reserve in her jr season at ND playing about 13 mpg.

The difference between Mo & Brunelle is that Geno could project Mo’s incredible speed to be an asset at the next level so long as she developed her offense. While Brunelle is a nice player, Geno probably recognized that she’s a tweener, too small to play the post or PF and not athletic enough to play the wing.
WTF does Brunelle have to do with Jefferson and Coombs????

Reaction Score
For those saying it should’ve been obvious in recruiting …
Prospects nation had Mir as the #1 wing and #11 overall
ESPNW had her #25

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Two comments on the thread, one most certainly UConn-centric and one on a former UConn recruit.

- Gabby. As an ND fan, I hated playing against Gabby more than any Husky not named Stewie. She was instinctual at knowing how to exploit the center of ND's 2-3 zone and had the physical tools to do it. Time and Time again. Plus she hustled all the time in regards to 50-50's and rebounds. I'm hoping she continues to grow other technical aspects of her game (shooting).

While Brunelle is a nice player, Geno probably recognized that she’s a tweener, too small to play the post or PF and not athletic enough to play the wing.

That's pretty much what many Benchers have seen: Sam is a tweener. That said, she had a decent frosh year statistically, but was asked to do too many things that a tweener really can't excel in, particularly defensively.

The main issue now is that Niele plays Maya Dodson at post for her defense and rebounding and Maddy Westbeld is embedded at the 4. And Westbeld, at 6'3", is as steady a power forward as Coach Ivey can hope for. Even if the Irish had once thought of trying Sam at the the wing, that idea got tossed out once Sonia Citron arrived.

Still, I can see some games when Sam -- if she gets some time -- can come in and do damage to a team that packs it in the lane defensively (Florida State?).

Reaction Score
It always kills me when I hear variations of “He never gave her a chance”, “She only played garbage minutes! How could he judge her on that?” Let’s not forget, he sees them everyday in practice! Now you may argue that practice is different from games. That’s certainly true but that doesn’t invalidate what he sees in practice. He has consistently said that players earn their minutes in practice! Now it becomes an argument between a position that game play is the only fair way to evaluate a player vs Geno’s belief that practice is where players earn their minutes. I’m with Geno on this one.

Even with Geno, Tara, Dawn, etc, recruiting is an inexact science. It seems to me that in both Aubrey’s and Muir’s cases, he was trying to score another Gabby. However, neither of these young ladies were able (the jury is still out on Aubrey) to acquire enough skills beyond their athleticism to reach (or even approach) Gabby’s level. I guess this reinforces just how rare and special, Gabby really was for us. Wishing Mir all the best, I think she can be a star if she finds the right program. Still pulling for Aubrey, who has it all except for the offense, and looking forward to Ayanna, who has perhaps the best chance Imo to become a bigger, stronger Gabby if she continues to develop her game for next year.
Agreed........I think Aubrey has done a rare thing in making an impact on the game without scoring a lot of points.........her defense, rebounding and ability in the open court has made her a much-missed presence on the team........she was a decent outside shooter in high school, hopefully she will be able to showcase that a bit more this season as scoring continues to be an issue...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Two comments on the thread, one most certainly UConn-centric and one on a former UConn recruit.

- Gabby. As an ND fan, I hated playing against Gabby more than any Husky not named Stewie. She was instinctual at knowing how to exploit the center of ND's 2-3 zone and had the physical tools to do it. Time and Time again. Plus she hustled all the time in regards to 50-50's and rebounds. I'm hoping she continues to grow other technical aspects of her game (shooting).

That's pretty much what many Benchers have seen: Sam is a tweener. That said, she had a decent frosh year statistically, but was asked to do too many things that a tweener really can't excel in, particularly defensively.

The main issue now is that Niele plays Maya Dodson at post for her defense and rebounding and Maddy Westbeld is embedded at the 4. And Westbeld, at 6'3", is as steady a power forward as Coach Ivey can hope for. Even if the Irish had once thought of trying Sam at the the wing, that idea got tossed out once Sonia Citron arrived.

Still, I can see some games when Sam -- if she gets some time -- can come in and do damage to a team that packs it in the lane defensively (Florida State?).

I really have appreciated how Sam has stuck with the program through the coaching change and the limited playing time instead of immediately trying to find greener pastures. She'll have a successful career in Europe, if she so chooses, and will still have a fantastic education to show for it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For those saying it should’ve been obvious in recruiting …
Prospects nation had Mir as the #1 wing and #11 overall
ESPNW had her #25
It was obvious from watching her play not from any rating/ranking service. In HS and AAU Mir was always the most athletic player on the floor and rarely did she have to move away from the basket or display any perimeter skills. Many of her HS videos were posted in the recruiting thread one of which she did a nice job guarding Cardoza and Cochran ( Louisville) in the in AAU. ESPN and Prospects were flat out wrong in accessing Mir as a Wing IMO.

Reaction Score
“Extremely smart and athletic and she has a lot of potential?”
What else is there?
Sounds like a coaches dream.
Couldn’t tap that potential?
Once more time, Geno, Geno, Geno, Geno, that rat %##&# Geno screwed up again! Head bang:rolleyes:

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I would imagine some of those 102 will not get picked up by another school and will have flushed their paid college education down the toilet. I can't believe all 102 are a good fit for D1. This is not intended for Mir, just a general comment about kids in the portal.
The bolded part of your statement above is a non sequitur. Entering the transfer pool does not automatically mean that you cut your ties with your current college, although the coach there may feel that it does. But there is no NCAA prohibition against entering the transfer portal and then (after inspecting the offers, if any) returning to one's former school.

In UConn's case, Geno may well take the view that he doesn't want to take back anyone who enters the transfer pool, and some other coaches may feel similarly. But I think there will be some who are willing to take back a player who finally realizes that the grass is not greener elsewhere.

I fully expect that Mir will be picked up by another college that is excited to have her. But if for some reason that doesn't happen, and if she wants to return to (or stay at) UConn, I would hope that Geno would at least consider welcoming her back (perhaps after a talk about her realistic chances for greater playing time).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
does Brunelle have to do with Jefferson and Coombs????
I only raise Brunelle as an example that HS rankings, while important, don’t always indicate how well a player projects at the next level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This thread is killing me excusing the coach of giving some team members virtually ZERO playing time.
Attending practices, being a good and supportive teammate, exerting effort DESERVES several minutes, especially in roll overs.
If they don’t display those attributes they shouldn’t be on the team.
But they are, were so a guess that they do.
And while I’m at it- no way Paige should have been on the floor at that time, in that game. With the score being what it was.
I don’t give a darn if the real injury occurred at the beginning of the quarter, in the first half, on the previous game or a week ago.
Claiming that she complains when she’s not in or “ he doesn’t like the look” of the team when she’s not in is a crappy excuse.
How does he like the look of his team now?
I’m hoping he/they can put it together.
but let’s all admit that recruiting and coaching errors have occurred.
NOBODY is perfect.
Can we agree on that?
What killing me is the continued Miseducation of @Stymie. Geno is not running a recreation league program where playing time is "given" by virtue of being on the team. Players have to earn it!
tony soprano marone GIF by dan

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
This thread is killing me excusing the coach of giving some team members virtually ZERO playing time.
Attending practices, being a good and supportive teammate, exerting effort DESERVES several minutes, especially in roll overs.
And while I’m at it- no way Paige should have been on the floor at that time, in that game. With the score being what it was.
I don’t give a darn if the real injury occurred at the beginning of the quarter, in the first half, on the previous game or a week ago.
Claiming that she complains when she’s not in or “ he doesn’t like the look” of the team when she’s not in is a crappy excuse.
NOBODY is perfect.
Can we agree on that?
You're correct, no one is perfect.

Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Eh, Jefferson was ranked #2 in her class.....behind Stewart. She wasn't just considered "fast" coming into college. She had plenty of skills. It did take a couple years to show in college.
You're taking the post too literal though that's the quote Geno made. OFC he exaggerates but the point was that she had flaws and she as number 2. SO ofc Mir has flaws too.. And look at number 1 recruit CWill, she has flaws and is not the super player you'd expect though she is very good. As is Evina at number 2. And Dangerfield as number 3.

The point about MoJeff was that just because a player is a high recruit not named Maya etc then you can't say that player is a lock to be great. Just being a number 2 recruit doesn't ensure that. That's what I was responding to.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

NOBODY is perfect.
Can we agree on that?
Gee, I guess that this is why I appreciate the type of players and teammates that Geno recruits and/or coaches. Players like Briana, Tierney, Molly, Kyla, Batouly, etc.
Pure team devotion and willing to contribute whenever asked.

Reaction Score

Unfortunate, but not surprising… good athlete and leaper, average shot… I was rooting for us to play her more lately for I feared this day would come. I can’t say I blame her … in the end all the kids want is to play.

Reaction Score
You're taking the post too literal though that's the quote Geno made. OFC he exaggerates but the point was that she had flaws and she as number 2. SO ofc Mir has flaws too.. And look at number 1 recruit CWill, she has flaws and is not the super player you'd expect though she is very good. As is Evina at number 2. And Dangerfield as number 3.

The point about MoJeff was that just because a player is a high recruit not named Maya etc then you can't say that player is a lock to be great. Just being a number 2 recruit doesn't ensure that. That's what I was responding to.
Which raises the question of what good are those numbers? Why do people keep referencing them as if they’re anything more than how a kid was doing against HS kids? College BB is a different world than HS. For 90% of the players there’s no comparison. So why do people wave the rankings around as a verification of how great their recruiting class is? After recruiting kids for 2-3 years, even the best coaches in the business don’t know for sure how good they’ll be other than a kid like Bueckers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford- bunch of losers?
Lots of minutes for non starters
South Carolina-bunch of losers?
Lots of minutes for non starters.
Either those coaches are running a Rec League team, or they find a way.
This is Geno’s blind spot.
And Paige should have been on the floor at that time with that score?
No==reality
Yes==pass the Cool Ade
Could it be as simple as the Stanford and South Carolina kids on the bench are more talented than the kids on the end of the UCONN bench and have earned their time vs it being given to them by Dawn and Tara? Ever heard of Saniya Rivers or Kiki Iriafen?

bravo tv pump rules GIF by Slice

Reaction Score
Could it be as simple as the Stanford and South Carolina kids on the bench are more talented than the kids on the end of the UCONN bench and have earned their time vs it being given to them by Dawn and Tara? Ever heard of Saniya Rivers or Kiki Iriafen?

bravo tv pump rules GIF by Slice
I forgot all about Iriafen. Someone on here - had her so hyped up as though she was going to be the 2nd coming of a supreme superstar. -- Unless she is hurt-- - whoever I was posting to on here - was so passionate so insistent that Kiki was going to be a superstar. - OFC she still could as years go by but. . .

Reaction Score
Too bad Mir couldn't find a way to fit in.
Lots of energy, determination inside.
Not long enough to play post, not enough shooting skills.
Get the feeling she can help somebody somewhere.
Wish it could have been at Storrs.
Good luck to her.
"THE MOST ATHLETIC PROSPECT IN THE CLASS OF 2020". Hoopgurlz gushed over Mir's other-worldly skills, a la Gabby Williams. Gabby developed shooting skills, But these athletic, high school wonders (under six feet) have to learn to shoot, away from the rim or languish and/or enter the transfer portals. We are left to wonder what drills, for them, could develop the necessary skills. Lou and Mosqueda Lewis spent countless hours shooting in front of their fathers on their way to becoming deadly from the outside and all-around, Uconn, all-star contributors.

Reaction Score
Kind of relegates the rating combines along with the monthly recruiting thread here as useless noise.
“hey, ( some name here) #2 in hoop gurls at wing, yada yada yada.
She’s being followed by (coaches name here) from ( school name here).
She just scored 35 points and grabbed h14 boards against East Penciltucky High School.
Hope we get her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32