Mir? Any idea why so little playing time? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mir? Any idea why so little playing time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There’s no way Saylor can help us more than Mir can this year. Have you watched Saylor play when she got in there. I’m sure she is gonna be a great player for us, but I have not seen anything to suggest that she can help us AT ALL this year. Mir on the other hand, I wouldn’t put it past her to come up with a HUGE offensive or defensive rebound to help us win number 12. It might only be because she got here late, but still. I believe that Mir deserves more playing time than those two, because anyone should be able to see by her playing time that she is far and away better than both Saylor and Piath. Mir I believe can actually help us now if Geno gave her the chance. I think the other two would be more of a liability than Mir because she has her flaws also.
Look, I don’t have any idea whether Saylor or Mir can make any kind of substantial contributions toward a championship this year. However, I know who does know the answer to that question. Geno! Also, I would just say that if Saylor is learning and understanding the offense and defense better and faster than Mir, then she will get more play. That’s simply the way it goes, not just for Geno, but for almost all coaches. Mir is tremendously athletic and explosive at 5’11” and (apparently) can’t throw it in the ocean from 5+ feet from the basket,while Saylor is less athletic (but not a klutz) 6’2” and has the ability to shoot from everywhere on the court. While I love Mir’s energy and athleticism, if she is constantly making mistakes in where she is supposed to be or go and Saylor is not, then Saylor deserves more time. Not saying that is happening, just trying to show how it could be.

Reaction Score
I would request that you and I NOT have any more back and forths about short benches vs long benches. You disagree with me and I disagree with you. Besides neither of us is 100% correct. Too many examples on either side. Do me a favor and don't just sluff off Dean's "Blue Team" approach. Dean is way up on one of the top branches of the history of college basketball tree. He was just a branch below Naismith himself, having begun his illustrious career at Kansas. His career is so much more than NC's. He was a preeminent innovator.
I tried to pose a couple of kind of nuanced points, but you went straight to your short bench argument.
One reason for teams, even great teams having short benches is that they don't have a full bench of players that can contribute. I believe deeply in the idea that if you have players on your team that are capable of contributing to the team's success, then you should play them. There are multiple benefits to doing that, and a large one is the maximum development of each player in your charge. Nika IMO is the perfect example. IMO we're better with Nika. If Anna's healthy in this short bench world, maybe Nika never plays. Maybe PB never gets to play off the ball.
In addition to winning NC's, Geno has a responsibility to each young woman put in his charge. If these top recruits develop there is going to be a logjam for playing time. What's going to happen? He doesn't graduate anybody. Players even get another year of eligibility. E should stay. She has the best coaching and best training staff she will ever have. She can prove herself to be 100% healthy before entering the draft. And another monster recruiting class coming in. What's he gunna do HoopHuskie? I contend he has a responsibility to every player recruited at UConn to help them be the best players they can be. Priority #1. Did you bother looking at Wooden's pyramid?
You ever heard of Sven Nater? We're gunna have 3, 4, or 5 Naters next year.
If we say that Dean Smith is to be judged beyond titles then so must Auriemma. You certainly hold Geno in high esteem –but I wonder about others. There certainly have been threads (and posts) here created pointing out that it’s “title or bust.” That’s the context I was replying to with Griff (in which you ultimately replied to me) - whether he meant his post in any manner of Geno failing – I was just reaffirming my point that “Individual Players” is NOT the “big” question. Its winning titles.

Let’s face it, if one were to gamble of taking The Field vs UCONN – the odds would be in favor of The Field. The chances of UCONN winning It All vs THE Field as of this moment is under 50%. Individually ofc it’s different. Yet if they were to lose – the chances of some blaming Auriemma – and not providing the same respect you are suggesting to apply to Dean Smith when he didn’t win it all- is 100% blame to Auriemma in terms of a thread or two --plus many posts blaming coach and individual players for their "FAILURE." Which I never agree with that tone While it’s possible there could be some warranted slight blame - but it’s much more likely there will be much more blame thrown at him. Blame not only with game management. but of his style, and his recruiting, and his overall philosophy all because his team got to FF but didn’t win the last game. If Geno can get blamed in this manner so can Dean Smith.

So – taking this into account—when I think the coach is right about Mir’s playing time—it has to mean I’m in favor of a short bench in this instance. How can we get around that when I’m saying that “Individual Players playing time” is NOT the big challenge for Geno?

So with your reply to me and your request to not get into it about long vs short bench—ofc it’s going to come down to long bench vs short bench in these type of instances. And, to further that, ofc if there is any reference to another coach as a counter to what Geno is doing – I’m 99% of the time going to side with the philosophy of the best coach in wcbb history.

Why wouldn’t I? He’s winning and still recruiting like a giant!!

And while you say let’s not go back and forth about long bench vs short you are asking me questions about playing time of individual players that are part of the discussion of long bench vs short. I’ll be happy to reply to your questions but the individual players do relate to our past discussions of long bench vs short. I think your questions were rhetorical- so I won’t provide specifics but if you want it- I will. And I’ll reiterate- Geno’s biggest responsibility is to win titles. This is big time athletics where in most cases people get fired for not winning--- and revenue rules. If we want to make everyone happy then let's not keep score.

Reaction Score
And here I was thinking his Challenge was to develop All his players to become the best versions of themselves while learning how to work together as a team to achieve that elusive goal of excellence.. Silly me :)

You would be wrong. If his team doesn't win enough (lose many. many of his games. - Never happen though) - eventually he gets fired/retires and the school loses revenue because you're not ever going to achieve enough winning unless you play your best players. How many games do you need links to - to see the minute distribution Auriemma employs for his starters vs his bench in big games which will show that he isn't developing "ALL HIS PLAYERS" in the context I previously spoke of?

The context/ elusive goal I speak of is winning titles. Some teams win titles and do not play excellent yet that title is as much cherished as the superior team playing "excellent." Just because you "win" doesn't mean you played "excellent. "The goal is to win that last game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we say that Dean Smith is to be judged beyond titles then so must Auriemma. You certainly hold Geno in high esteem –but I wonder about others. There certainly have been threads (and posts) here created pointing out that it’s “title or bust.” That’s the context I was replying to with Griff (in which you ultimately replied to me) - whether he meant his post in any manner of Geno failing – I was just reaffirming my point that “Individual Players” is NOT the “big” question. Its winning titles.

Let’s face it, if one were to gamble of taking The Field vs UCONN – the odds would be in favor of The Field. The chances of UCONN winning It All vs THE Field as of this moment is under 50%. Individually ofc it’s different. Yet if they were to lose – the chances of some blaming Auriemma – and not providing the same respect you are suggesting to apply to Dean Smith when he didn’t win it all- is 100% blame to Auriemma in terms of a thread or two --plus many posts blaming coach and individual players for their "FAILURE." Which I never agree with that tone While it’s possible there could be some warranted slight blame - but it’s much more likely there will be much more blame thrown at him. Blame not only with game management. but of his style, and his recruiting, and his overall philosophy all because his team got to FF but didn’t win the last game. If Geno can get blamed in this manner so can Dean Smith.

So – taking this into account—when I think the coach is right about Mir’s playing time—it has to mean I’m in favor of a short bench in this instance. How can we get around that when I’m saying that “Individual Players playing time” is NOT the big challenge for Geno?

So with your reply to me and your request to not get into it about long vs short bench—ofc it’s going to come down to long bench vs short bench in these type of instances. And, to further that, ofc if there is any reference to another coach as a counter to what Geno is doing – I’m 99% of the time going to side with the philosophy of the best coach in wcbb history.

Why wouldn’t I? He’s winning and still recruiting like a giant!!

And while you say let’s not go back and forth about long bench vs short you are asking me questions about playing time of individual players that are part of the discussion of long bench vs short. I’ll be happy to reply to your questions but the individual players do relate to our past discussions of long bench vs short. I think your questions were rhetorical- so I won’t provide specifics but if you want it- I will. And I’ll reiterate- Geno’s biggest responsibility is to win titles. This is big time athletics where in most cases people get fired for not winning--- and revenue rules. If we want to make everyone happy then let's not keep score.
What about your theory of what Geno will do next year? Will players be "shortchanged" on opportunities to play? Is it a good enough answer to say to the kids, "I play the best 6 or 7, ok guys let's compete for playing time, play the UConn way and let the chips fall as they may"? He's going to have 15 players expecting to play. These are top recruits mixed in with players looking to advance themselves, maybe even defending NC players.
Can he play 94 feet, thus using players in different ways, providing opportunities for more playing time for more individuals. Can he have a "Blue Team" in order to get meaningful playing time to more individuals"? Come on, let me hear.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine that if Geno has 15 players next year with at least 10 good enough to play at UCONN by usual standards right away that he will play 7 players. I think the 7 right now is reflective of all the players he has and their development so far. Remember the 2015 Kentucky men's team that lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four which had 2 separate groups of 5? That platooning system was by necessity. Calipari couldn't sit players who were so talented with no playing time. Pick your best 5 at times or your best 7 at times if you need to but you are hurting your team by not allowing playing time to those who have truly earned it. You don't keep moving the bar higher so only 7 can jump over it, if you have 8, 9 or 10 who qualify, they play. You figure out how. You have to coach the team you have, with the strengths and weaknesses you have, not artificially shrink or expand playing time. That is Geno's greatest attribute, his ability to make excellence out of very diverse teams and get to the Final Four. If he has an embarrassment of riches next year, he ain't keeping those riches in a locked chest. They are going to be shown everyday and all the way to the NC.

Reaction Score
What about your theory of what Geno will do next year? Will players be "shortchanged" on opportunities to play? Is it a good enough answer to say to the kids, "I play the best 6 or 7, ok guys let's compete for playing time, play the UConn way and let the chips fall as they may"? He's going to have 15 players expecting to play. These are top recruits mixed in with players looking to advance themselves, maybe even defending NC players.
Can he play 94 feet, thus using players in different ways, providing opportunities for more playing time for more individuals. Can he have a "Blue Team" in order to get meaningful playing time to more individuals"? Come on, let me hear.

:) :) :) You want me to answer next year's lineup in terms of minute distribution - and this year isn't even over yet? How am I supposed to do that when UCON is so young and still so many questions for this year? :) :):)

If you want me to wild guess I need 8 parameter questions answered than so I can give you a wild, wild, wild guess off the top of my head. It's a complete wild guess.

1-- What happened this year? How far did we go and who was excellent? Who was good? Who was average? And who was bad?

2- Is there any other teams other than SC and Stanford that could stay within a dozen points of next years club if Azzi is the real deal too? If so, how many others on the schedule? You see, imo if Azzi is the real deal then this team potentially is rivalling the greatest teams ever. As a result, many annihilations early. Paige doesn't play 36.5 minutes. So question one above relates to question 2.

3- I need to know how Anna Is. Is she back to heathy, athletic enough, and hitting over 40% of her 3's this year 2021 once she comes back? How is she looking in 2021-2022 practices and scrimmage games?

4- How well did Evina play down the stretch? Especially the big games.

5- Is CWill playing at a higher/consistent level? Especially the big games.

6- How well is Nika able to shoot her 3's?

7-- How many/ if any of the Big 3 of Liv, Edwards, and Griff are able to hit their ft's along with hitting their perimeter shots?

8-- What do I get if I'm right? A trip to Storrs hanging out by the pond in the dead of winter?

If they are all excellent then we have a dream team. I'd love a dream team of 10+ players all playing excellent and UCONN destroys everyone by 15 or more- then great. But that's not realistic imo.

There's more than likely a minute disrtibutuion in reg games vs big games.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine that if Geno has 15 players next year with at least 10 good enough to play at UCONN by usual standards right away that he will play 7 players. I think the 7 right now is reflective of all the players he has and their development so far. Remember the 2015 Kentucky men's team that lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four which had 2 separate groups of 5? That platooning system was by necessity. Calipari couldn't sit players who were so talented with no playing time. Pick your best 5 at times or your best 7 at times if you need to but you are hurting your team by not allowing playing time to those who have truly earned it. You don't keep moving the bar higher so only 7 can jump over it, if you have 8, 9 or 10 who qualify, they play. You figure out how. You have to coach the team you have, with the strengths and weaknesses you have, not artificially shrink or expand playing time. That is Geno's greatest attribute, his ability to make excellence out of very diverse teams and get to the Final Four. If he has an embarrassment of riches next year, he ain't keeping those riches in a locked chest. They are going to be shown everyday and all the way to the NC.

We heard the same thing at the end of last year/ the start of this year.

Next year they could become among the best ever. As a result more minutes could be spread around due to blowouts but if Azzi is like Paige next year -- those two aren't coming out in big games other than a minute or 2 unless in a big game they are whipping a team- but close games - two players right off the bat aren't coming out for more than a couple of minutes unless injured or foul trouble.

Reg season games a lot of players - but close games the bench will get considerably shortened more than likely.

Reaction Score
There definitely is that freshman learning curve that may move some players to the back of the line and I think that has happened to Mir. I agree as to Paige and Azzi. This year though we had 3 returning players, next year we should have 11 assuming Evina stays. You play the players you need to win the game no doubt but I don't see many close games next year. Geno will always be developing the team during the season for March and a FF and beyond. I just think there will be more than 7 moving parts to it when we get there, most likely 9 or 10. Just too much multifaceted talent that can contribute in significant ways with a lot of players from this year knowing exactly what their role is. Just Azzi added to this year's core 7 makes 8 and you have to figure on Saylor or Caroline for a 3 point shooter off the bench for 9 and more interior help as well. That makes 10.

Reaction Score
There definitely is that freshman learning curve that may move some players to the back of the line and I think that has happened to Mir. I agree as to Paige and Azzi. This year though we had 3 returning players, next year we should have 11 assuming Evina stays. You play the players you need to win the game no doubt but I don't see many close games next year. Geno will always be developing the team during the season for March and a FF and beyond. I just think there will be more than 7 moving parts to it when we get there, most likely 9 or 10. Just too much multifaceted talent that can contribute in significant ways with a lot of players from this year knowing exactly what their role is. Just Azzi added to this year's core 7 makes 8 and you have to figure on Saylor or Caroline for a 3 point shooter off the bench for 9 and more interior help as well. That makes 10.

Reg season - blowouts- definitely more minutes dispersed.

Reaction Score
And here I was thinking his Challenge was to develop All his players to become the best versions of themselves while learning how to work together as a team to achieve that elusive goal of excellence.. Silly me :)
His challenge is to win NCs.

Reaction Score
What states still use only two refs in high school? Maybe if Mir played more she would stop fouling so much. It happened with Edwards. She used to foul too much but, playing time has helped her to learn to avoid so many fouls. The same can be said of Muhl. As some has stated, maybe her practices have not pleased Geno.
Connecticut only uses two.

Reaction Score
OK, me being over 65, I guess my knowledge of the time per quarter is a bit off ? . No matter who player plays FRONT COURT or BACK COURT or BOTH, this Coaching Staff will certainly be challenged to get enough playing minutes for "15 Total Players" to A) be effective and extremely competitive, B) to come up with the BEST overall combinations, game in and game out, and C) to keep everyone happy. It will NO DOUBT be the most challenging season that Geno and his Coaching Staff will face in all of his years at UCONN.
Genos 2001 team was better than this and he got 10 players minutes in most games with a full roster. 2001 was his most talented team ever and he often says it.

Reaction Score
OK, me being over 65, I guess my knowledge of the time per quarter is a bit off ? . No matter who player plays FRONT COURT or BACK COURT or BOTH, this Coaching Staff will certainly be challenged to get enough playing minutes for "15 Total Players" to A) be effective and extremely competitive, B) to come up with the BEST overall combinations, game in and game out, and C) to keep everyone happy. It will NO DOUBT be the most challenging season that Geno and his Coaching Staff will face in all of his years at UCONN.
Maybe these are stretch minutes like fabric. In some minutes you can pack in a lot of basketball or not like garbage time. In any case, the problem to too much talent is a good one to have. We'll live with it and enjoy the outcome.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
His challenge is to win NCs.
Is it really? :)
Tell me, what is the difference between goals and challenges?

Does Geno
1) Give his players Challenges throughout a game or Season to reach a specific goal?
2) Give his players goals throughout a game or season to reach a specific challenge?

I believe His Goal or objective is to win the NC's
His Challenge is to develop his players to accomplish that goal.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The coach seems to be culling the minutes to an 8 person rotation for tournament time. Just trying to build chemistry on the court and you can see it growing in the SJ game. Remember we are freshmen heavy, still need to cut down on travels and playing with three refs vs two in high school. More whistles likely = more calls. Mir is fun to watch, very active and disruptive. Hope she fits into our future plans but this season isn't normal.
It is obvious that Geno has settled on a 7 person rotation, maybe 8 if Anna comes back. It has always been that way with him in the past. I believe he is giving more time to Paith and Saylor for specific reasons. Foul trouble. In the past, UCONN has been in trouble with the 7 player rotation in the big games. These players are getting PT for emergency situations. What if ONO and AE get in foul trouble ( outlandish thought, right )? Geno may need someone else to come in and hold the fort for a period of time. What if we get behind and we need shots to fall. If no one is hitting ( again, outlandish though, right ), he may need someone to come in who knows how to knock them down. Neither one is consistent now, but any playing time now MAY be able to help us down the road.

Reaction Score
Don't take this the wrong way. We're just disagreeing. You have to recognize sometimes each of us have biases. I prefer ball movement with stronger guard play. Over the years with your posts-- imo - let's face it you prefer low post play. Your posts seem to always have a huge concern of the next big player they are going ot get. Then it means you are always going to ask the same questions regarding players who have higher fg%'s because they score more inside. FG% is not as important for guard play when you compare an inside scorer vs a perimeter guard. Style of play also impt. As well as EFG% and TS%. You're referencing the stat that is bias for post players without context.

The post you made here shows that imo. The individual stats you are referencing can’t take one bit into account ball movement, effectiveness in a passing offense, and running fastbreaks. In half court sets the best option (ofc not the only) is Paige for example. You saw the SC game in which SC contests many of the passes. The passes needed consistently to be thrown toward the outside hand. The 2nd and 3rd pass leading up to the 4th and 5th pass are important in order to free a player. Guards aren't just important because they can shoot 3's. It's clear here that's your bias - you're looking to quote fg% - and not the difference between what a guard does vs an inside scoring forward. You're not even looking at efg% or TS% while comparing a guard vs low post type of forward.

Even if her individual stats are better than Mir's - which they probably are-- it doesn't take into account not only competition but more importantly how the offense runs. Guard play usually lends itself to better ball movement which is super important for this team. They don’t have a dynamic post player but they do have an unreal perimeter player. In the 3 tough games vs SC, Tenn, and Ark. - scoring by the guards was critical.

And-in terms of 2pt fg%-- Mir is behind UCONN's 3 other post type of players- Liv, Edwards, and Griff. And how much of a scoring option were UCONN's "big 3" vs South Carolina, Tenn and Ark? So how much are you expecting from Mir in a more perimeter type of offense? She is going to struggle more than the big 3 (she's not shooting as well as them) and she isn't going to play defense as well as the big 3 either.

Unless you want to play Mir or Griffin at sf? But that's "Baylor Basketball." You've heard before how Geno wants his teams to emulate The old Edmonton Hockey Team led by Gretzky. He wants a fast-paced offense. Not just with fastbreaks but quick moving through passing in half court. And a pass is faster moving than a player can run. Nika can lead fastbreaks and make very good passes in half court sets which leads to opening up the floor and playing at a fast pace. Your questions are more addressed to old-time basketball which Geno doesn't want to play. .For me -I'm thankful for the style Geno wants UCONN to play.

Mir is 5'1", the same height as Cristyn and Paige. How in the world does one compare her with 6'5" post players? In no way is she a "big." Can't understand the comparison. She is, if one needs to categorize, which I don't feel is necessary, a wing, or a guard who slashes to the basket and makes the majority of her shots within 10 feet of the rim. Not a post.

Reaction Score
Is it really? :)
Tell me, what is the difference between goals and challenges?

I believe His Goal or objective is to win the NC's
His Challenge is to develop his players to accomplish that goal.

Yes.

But that challenge you reference also includes his superstars. And history has shown he gives his superstars big minutes. There's a reason. Teams need to develop a certain cohesiveness and that usually starts with your superstars. So in order to accomplish the goal to win championships he gives the superstars many more minutes. And then down the line his next group that is very good but not great etc. The players further down the list get fewer minutes because the superstars are taking many.

It's simple; If there are certain players that aren't as good - he won't give them as many minutes. Why doesn't he give them more minutes? Because he and the players want to be put in the best position to win.

That was my point previously and I think the point the other poster sent to you. Mir McLean is averaging 7.6 minutes per game. With those minutes can you say she is on her way to excellence? If Geno wants to keep everyone happy then why isn't Mir playing more?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's up to Mir to produce when she gets the call. I don't think she has. But players get better so next time she might show some more.

Reaction Score
Mir is 5'1", the same height as Cristyn and Paige. How in the world does one compare her with 6'5" post players? In no way is she a "big." Can't understand the comparison. She is, if one needs to categorize, which I don't feel is necessary, a wing, or a guard who slashes to the basket and makes the majority of her shots within 10 feet of the rim. Not a post.
Because Mir scores nearly all her baskets inside.

When you compared Nika to Mir - were you thinking Mir is scoring mostly outside of 5-6 feet? The problem for Mir is that she is small for a low post player and most of her baskets come form the inside 5-6 feet. She's a small player who plays more like a low post player. And she is not a passer.

If you think she scores many baskets 10 feet or so-- we can agree to disagree - but if I were right that she scores most of her baskets inside 5-6 feet - then you would agree with me, right-- -- That she is a post player? And then you would agree with Geno in regards to playing Nika more than Mir?

Reaction Score
Mir is a very raw talent. It is another example of an athletic player being able to dominate in high school without other skills being well developed. She is the quickest leaper on the team but is undersized and has to be able to convert on the put backs by keeping it basic. She was a great defender in high school and should be a better defender in college eventually. I still think it is a practice issue however. I also think she doesn't know the plays yet. I hope she gets at least 4 minutes today and plays smart and aggressively without reach in fouls. She can be a chaos causing player for the other team but she has to get herself under control on the court. I don't think it is that difficult figuring this out. You play animated, hustle defense, rebound, run the plays, and be supportive of your team because there ain't no "I" in UCONN. If you do that, you wind up scoring too. Just ask CW from last week.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The movement of rules involving refs seems to be toward more, not less and much more going to the monitor. UGH! The flow of the game has become stop and start. I'm dating myself but in earlier days, we were lucky to have a ref, most pickup games were self refed. If there are three refs, that is 1/3 more pair of eyes to call what is seen. Has anybody but perhaps the NCAA studied the number of fouls called since installing three refs and the time taken to play these games? Perhaps there are fewer injuries with three refs? It sure can be hard to isolate the impact. Thoughts?

Players doing mop-up time have a hard time to show their best especially in a pattern offense that we tend to run. Mir will grow her game and help the team.
If the extra ref contributes only 1/3 pair of eyes, that could explain how they missed so many fouls by Boston and Dungee. ;)

Reaction Score
What I like about Mir is her heart she battles and plays hard every time she’s in there. I
its not a question of liking. It’s almost March.
In an ncaa tournament game explain which 4 players you’re going to take off the floor to put her in and how she’s going to be a better option.

it’s not play time anymore. You take your best 5 players and play them 40 minutes if you have to. And every sub needs to provide something unique that the team needs. Mir is not there yet imho.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: What position do you think Mir plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom