Mir? Any idea why so little playing time? | The Boneyard

Mir? Any idea why so little playing time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno is insistent on players playing the game they way he wants it to be played. Just a thought.

Reaction Score
Any idea why so little playing time?
The coach seems to be culling the minutes to an 8 person rotation for tournament time. Just trying to build chemistry on the court and you can see it growing in the SJ game. Remember we are freshmen heavy, still need to cut down on travels and playing with three refs vs two in high school. More whistles likely = more calls. Mir is fun to watch, very active and disruptive. Hope she fits into our future plans but this season isn't normal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The coach seems to be culling the minutes to an 8 person rotation for tournament time. Just trying to build chemistry on the court and you can see it growing in the SJ game. Remember we are freshmen heavy, still need to cut down on travels and playing with three refs vs two in high school. More whistles likely = more calls. Mir is fun to watch, very active and disruptive. Hope she fits into our future plans but this season isn't normal.
It may be a 7 player rotation if Anna can’t make it all the way back by the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Whose minutes would you cut to give her more time?
No one when it counts, but the other night, all of the important players were on the bench with about 3 minutes to go or maybe even more time and Aubrey was out there with the role players. I mean she could use some time to get her legs back after missing some time, but with her recent injury and the game in hand, why not sit Aubrey and put Mir out there who was the only freshman not out there yet. Unless as one poster pointed out to me, maybe her practice habits have been poor lately. Other than that I don’t want to piss her off, because she is a stud in my opinion. I want to see her as a finished basketball player in her future here an UConn.

Reaction Score
It appears to me, Geno has settled on his 7 player rotation: Liv, "E," CW, Buckets, Nika, AE, and Aubrey pending Anna's return. Mir will have to focus on earning more minutes next season.
Isn't next year's team going to be exactly the same as this year's except the team adds Fudd, DeBerry, and Ducharme? If you can't get minutes this year, doesn't seem like it gets any easier going forward.

Reaction Score
But Coach Geno gave more playing time to the recent high school kid, Poffenbarger, than to Mir. And Piath Gabriel got more time than Mir. For that matter, Mir only got into the game that was a 31-point blow-out by half-time in the last two minutes of the game.

That's a really ominous signal. Very sad for Mir.....

Reaction Score
No one when it counts, but the other night, all of the important players were on the bench with about 3 minutes to go or maybe even more time and Aubrey was out there with the role players. I mean she could use some time to get her legs back after missing some time, but with her recent injury and the game in hand, why not sit Aubrey and put Mir out there who was the only freshman not out there yet. Unless as one poster pointed out to me, maybe her practice habits have been poor lately. Other than that I don’t want to piss her off, because she is a stud in my opinion. I want to see her as a finished basketball player in her future here an UConn.

The mystery is what's going on. When Mir gets into the game, she is a real spark plug. She gets more points, rebounds, and steals than virtually anyone else for the minutes she plays. So what in the world is happening in practice that causes Coach Geno to keep her out. It's not her game performance, though she could cut down on her PF's. I'm guessing that we'll never know.

Reaction Score
This year UConn needs outside shooters or big bodies. Mir is neither, meaning her defender is just another body that doesn’t need to leave the lane.
With more shooters next year (hopefully) the floor should open up more and her athleticism will be more useful.

Also right now what does she do that Aubrey doesn’t? And AG is taller and more exoerienced

Reaction Score
The stats show that Mir has hit 49% of her shots, good for 5th highest on the team. She's scored 20 FG's, which is more than Muhl has scored, who has played two and a half times more minutes. She would rank (rough estimate) 5th on the team in points scored per minute, trailing only Paige, Cristyn, Edwards, and ONO. She's second on the team in FT%, having hit 11 of 14 FT's. She's 7th on the team in FT attempts, though she's 9th in minutes played. She's 6th on the team in blocked shots with 5, just one behind Cristyn Williams. She's tied with Aaliyah Edwards for 7th place in assists with 9. And let's keep in mind that Muhl and Evina have only scored (?) 49 points together in the past five games, and were shut out against St Johns. Yet Mir has remained virtually nailed to the bench.

So what in the world is going on? Of course, not second-guessing Coach Geno. But there must be a back story here.....

Reaction Score
This year UConn needs outside shooters or big bodies. Mir is neither, meaning her defender is just another body that doesn’t need to leave the lane.
With more shooters next year (hopefully) the floor should open up more and her athleticism will be more useful.

Also right now what does she do that Aubrey doesn’t? And AG is taller and more exoerienced
Well said. And it isn't sad for Mir. Her team is great and improving. If she is sad then she is focusing on #1 versus the team. It is possible to not play a lot and be happy. Again, this isn't rec ball and these aren't our 10 year old grandkids. Sometimes nice kids don't play and it is the right decision for the sake of the team.

Reaction Score
Isn't next year's team going to be exactly the same as this year's except the team adds Fudd, DeBerry, and Ducharme? If you can't get minutes this year, doesn't seem like it gets any easier going forward.
Surely some tough trade offs for all these players. Some want to play on the best team they can are are OK with fewer minutes but more important minutes, not mop-ups. Other players want to develop under the great coaching system Geno has provided. Of course getting a fine education is also high on most parents list. There are also few TV exposure opportunities that match the UConn women's program.

[ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What states still use only two refs in high school? Maybe if Mir played more she would stop fouling so much. It happened with Edwards. She used to foul too much but, playing time has helped her to learn to avoid so many fouls. The same can be said of Muhl. As some has stated, maybe her practices have not pleased Geno.

Reaction Score
Any good Mir does is offset by her many PF'S. She looks like a D2 player and should leave if she wants to play more than 5 minutes a game.
I wouldn't judge her by the current limited minutes she has played. She is a high energy player that makes things happen both ways. That gets refined in Geno's system.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Has Saylor moved ahead of Mir? Saylor came in with 5 minutes left and looked much better then her last effort. Piath got 4 minutes and looked much better than her last effort. Mir played 2! Am I wrong to suggest that is now the way Geno considers these players? Do the skillsets brought by Saylor and Piath out weigh what Mir brings to the table? Specially considering just about all her skillset is matched and exceeded by Aubrey.

Reaction Score
What states still use only two refs in high school? Maybe if Mir played more she would stop fouling so much. It happened with Edwards. She used to foul too much but, playing time has helped her to learn to avoid so many fouls. The same can be said of Muhl. As some has stated, maybe her practices have not pleased Geno.
The movement of rules involving refs seems to be toward more, not less and much more going to the monitor. UGH! The flow of the game has become stop and start. I'm dating myself but in earlier days, we were lucky to have a ref, most pickup games were self refed. If there are three refs, that is 1/3 more pair of eyes to call what is seen. Has anybody but perhaps the NCAA studied the number of fouls called since installing three refs and the time taken to play these games? Perhaps there are fewer injuries with three refs? It sure can be hard to isolate the impact. Thoughts?

Players doing mop-up time have a hard time to show their best especially in a pattern offense that we tend to run. Mir will grow her game and help the team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Has Saylor moved ahead of Mir? Saylor came in with 5 minutes left and looked much better then her last effort. Piath got 4 minutes and looked much better than her last effort. Mir played 2! Am I wrong to suggest that is now the way Geno considers these players? Do the skillsets brought by Saylor and Piath out weigh what Mir brings to the table? Specially considering just about all her skillset is matched and exceeded by Aubrey.
As far as the skill sets of Griffin and Mir, the coaches knew they were similar yet they still recruited them. This should not be a surprise to them.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The stats show that Mir has hit 49% of her shots, good for 5th highest on the team. She's scored 20 FG's, which is more than Muhl has scored, who has played two and a half times more minutes. She would rank (rough estimate) 5th on the team in points scored per minute, trailing only Paige, Cristyn, Edwards, and ONO. She's second on the team in FT%, having hit 11 of 14 FT's. She's 7th on the team in FT attempts, though she's 9th in minutes played. She's 6th on the team in blocked shots with 5, just one behind Cristyn Williams. She's tied with Aaliyah Edwards for 7th place in assists with 9. And let's keep in mind that Muhl and Evina have only scored (?) 49 points together in the past five games, and were shut out against St Johns. Yet Mir has remained virtually nailed to the bench.. You do not see or know

So what in the world is going on? Of course, not second-guessing Coach Geno. But there must be a back story here.....

But you are second guessing Geno.

You are not at practices. You do not know or see what happens. One thing we all know, or should know, is that a player's game minutes are earned in practice.

It's the way Geno has run things since her arrived in Storrs. I think Geno's stats speak for themself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom