Mir? Any idea why so little playing time? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mir? Any idea why so little playing time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s pretty difficult to develop a player during this garbage time as usually the other teams garbage time players are playing as well and therefore the game resembles nothing like the competitive part of the game where the better players are playing. During this Covid shortened season perhaps some of these players would have gotten more playing time and the team might even look different than it does now. Personally I don’t subscribe to the short bench theory because you never know when you will have to depend heavily on those bench players like Kyla and Molly last year a couple of bad Covid tests could really derail this team and then you’re depending on players who really haven’t played. That seems to be the risk and Gino seems comfortable with that risk.

Reaction Score
There’s no way Saylor can help us more than Mir can this year. Have you watched Saylor play when she got in there. I’m sure she is gonna be a great player for us, but I have not seen anything to suggest that she can help us AT ALL this year. Mir on the other hand, I wouldn’t put it past her to come up with a HUGE offensive or defensive rebound to help us win number 12. It might only be because she got here late, but still. I believe that Mir deserves more playing time than those two, because anyone should be able to see by her playing time that she is far and away better than both Saylor and Piath. Mir I believe can actually help us now if Geno gave her the chance. I think the other two would be more of a liability than Mir because she has her flaws also.
If Saylor can mimic what she does in practice, I can envision a very specific scenario where she could help. Paige sees a box and one (or Paige and Christyn see a triangle and two), other shooters are left wide open, Muhl and Evina are off, and there’s a way to hide her on defense against an opponent who isn’t a scoring threat. So they give her a few minutes to stand in the corner unguarded and play pop a shot to see if she can loosen up the defense. If she makes a couple, great. If she misses, go back to Nika or Evina.

Honestly we don’t want to have to turn to a HS senior at all and the benefit to her being here is getting a head start on her real freshman year, but there’s potentially a scenario where her skill set could have value where its worth it to get her comfortable with game action and the speed at this level.

That said, I also could see Mir as a stopper to rotate on a high scorer (Dungee, Howard, etc.), especially if we get some people in foul trouble, so there’s value in getting her minutes In theory too. Maybe a few minutes on Correa would have been a good idea in the second half (it seems like she’s fouled too much when isolated on defense trying to play too hard, so learning to walk that tightrope would be a key to increasing her value this year).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It’s pretty difficult to develop a player during this garbage time as usually the other teams garbage time players are playing as well and therefore the game resembles nothing like the competitive part of the game where the better players are playing. During this Covid shortened season perhaps some of these players would have gotten more playing time and the team might even look different than it does now. Personally I don’t subscribe to the short bench theory because you never know when you will have to depend heavily on those bench players like Kyla and Molly last year a couple of bad Covid tests could really derail this team and then you’re depending on players who really haven’t played. That seems to be the risk and Gino seems comfortable with that risk.
I don't think it has anything to do with COVID or this season specifically. These threads (Why isn't player X or Y not playing more?) pop up every season. The answer is not that deep or profound. It is this simple: If player X or Y showed the ability to positively impact the the game they would be playing more. Geno doesn't do experiments, he is not going to throw a kid out there until he knows they are ready.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully Mir will get more meaningful minutes today. Hard to really assess Mir with her short minutes. I for one am rooting for Mir.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Personally, and from a coaching perspective (coached a lot of youth softball) you simply can't make any assumptions as to how much playing time the players are getting. The players that the coach thinks are the most critical for the team are going to get the minutes until the team is playing as good as it can..

Yes, I think it's great when our walk-on gets a few minutes. But, are those minutes building the team to win a NC? I don't think so. I suspect our walk-on starts getting minutes after next year's class becomes sophomores. When you as a coach have your core players, playing at the level you believe they need to I be playing, then you want to rest and reduce minutes of key players to protect them from injury or fatigue.

The question of why is Saylor getting more minutes than Mir? I have no idea and it doesn't matter. Perhaps the coach has an idea of what his team is looking like and Saylor needs to get up to speed as quickly as possible, or perhaps he knows what he is going to have with Mir and needs to see more of Saylor in game situations.

I have players I like and think that they could become big-time players. However, coach sees all the players in stressful situations where I never see them. Golly-Gee Ono & CW makes "me" nuts to the point of cussing every time they Jack up a 3 when they would be just as open for the shot two steps inside the arc and way more likely to actually generate some points and force the bigs to come out with them. but again it doesn't matter what I think, it's what the coach has decided to do based on what they see and are trying to get the individual players and team to do.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If Saylor can mimic what she does in practice, I can envision a very specific scenario where she could help. Paige sees a box and one (or Paige and Christyn see a triangle and two), other shooters are left wide open, Muhl and Evina are off, and there’s a way to hide her on defense against an opponent who isn’t a scoring threat. So they give her a few minutes to stand in the corner unguarded and play pop a shot to see if she can loosen up the defense. If she makes a couple, great. If she misses, go back to Nika or Evina.

Honestly we don’t want to have to turn to a HS senior at all and the benefit to her being here is getting a head start on her real freshman year, but there’s potentially a scenario where her skill set could have value where its worth it to get her comfortable with game action and the speed at this level.

That said, I also could see Mir as a stopper to rotate on a high scorer (Dungee, Howard, etc.), especially if we get some people in foul trouble, so there’s value in getting her minutes In theory too. Maybe a few minutes on Correa would have been a good idea in the second half (it seems like she’s fouled too much when isolated on defense trying to play too hard, so learning to walk that tightrope would be a key to increasing her value this year).
Mir could carve a role out for herself as another Ashley Battle or Kalana Greene. Neither of them scored much but they could wreak absolute havoc on the defensive end. Come to think of it, same for Kelly Faris. She didn’t score much until her senior year (remember the Duke game? ?)

Reaction Score
Just think about what will happen next year! Who is going to sit so Fudd, Decharme and DeBerry get playing time. With the 7-8 player rotation 3-4 players now getting decent minutes will have to sit or worse, play the last two minutes of games.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno is insistent on players playing the game they way he wants it to be played. Just a thought.
I think you're right... Mir would be all over the court (which is good and bad) and Geno wants structure

Reaction Score
:eek: What position do you think Mir plays?
Mir got 8 minutes yesterday, a big swing from recent games. She looked OK, she is quick, jumps well and looks to shoot if possible. But, But she gives up size to most inside players, perhaps a better spot for her is where Griffin often plays. The challenge for Mir is to bring what she brings and that needs to be a plus for the team for her to get meaningful minutes. As the tournament time nears, Geno will play fewer players so bench players won't see minutes but will get practice time against the best, perhaps better than actual mop-up minutes!

We haven't seen Mir much so it's hard to say where she is most effective. In a wild thought, could she be a point guard in waiting? Can she handle the ball well?

Reaction Score
Because Mir scores nearly all her baskets inside.

When you compared Nika to Mir - were you thinking Mir is scoring mostly outside of 5-6 feet? The problem for Mir is that she is small for a low post player and most of her baskets come form the inside 5-6 feet. She's a small player who plays more like a low post player. And she is not a passer.

If you think she scores many baskets 10 feet or so-- we can agree to disagree - but if I were right that she scores most of her baskets inside 5-6 feet - then you would agree with me, right-- -- That she is a post player? And then you would agree with Geno in regards to playing Nika more than Mir?

To follow up, Mir is listed as a "forward" on the UConn website. She's listed as a "wing" on the ESPN recruiting page (where she was also listed as the #25 recruit in the nation last year!). And she was listed as the #4 wing in the nation. No slouch! And to make clear, she's 5'11".

Reaction Score
I don't think it has anything to do with COVID or this season specifically. These threads (Why isn't player X or Y not playing more?) pop up every season. The answer is not that deep or profound. It is this simple: If player X or Y showed the ability to positively impact the the game they would be playing more. Geno doesn't do experiments, he is not going to throw a kid out there until he knows they are ready.

As Kara Walters noted in her broadcast, when a player sees her minutes go down, it's usually a signal that the coach is not happy with her attitude, or output, during practice. Mir's back!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
To me, Mir seems to be a player who is pretty productive per minutes played. Could just be she’s the size of a small forward who plays bigger than her size (that was her hs school reputation) and she brings energy. Seems like she can play a role as a sub for a few players, especially against overmatched teams. But GA has rarely used a long bench in other than 4th quarter blow outs. I’m with those who, if all the recruits are as good as billed, wonder how he’ll manage next year’s team. For those of us old enough to remember, very experienced Paige Sauer and Stacy Hansmeyer played far less minutes as seniors than previously, especially Sauer. It was pretty stark in her case.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mir got 8 minutes yesterday, a big swing from recent games. She looked OK, she is quick, jumps well and looks to shoot if possible. But, But she gives up size to most inside players, perhaps a better spot for her is where Griffin often plays. The challenge for Mir is to bring what she brings and that needs to be a plus for the team for her to get meaningful minutes. As the tournament time nears, Geno will play fewer players so bench players won't see minutes but will get practice time against the best, perhaps better than actual mop-up minutes!

We haven't seen Mir much so it's hard to say where she is most effective. In a wild thought, could she be a point guard in waiting? Can she handle the ball well?
No.
No.
Mir is an undersized post (4). although she did played some (5) in the Arkansas game. She is currently the 4th post in the the UCONN rotation behind Anna, ONO, AE and AG. Mir does not have the skill set to play on the wing or either guard position. The Guard and Wing positions are actually deeper positions on the current UCONN roster and projects to be even deeper next year. MIr would not benefit from a position switch as you seem to be suggesting. MIr is doing just fine. Meg Colmo added to the BY speculation yesterday by saying that inconsistent minutes as we are seeing for Mir "usually" equate to bad practice habits. The other thing that is going on is that the rotation is being setup for a NCAA tournament run. The current rotation is 7 players with Anna to be added when she returns.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As Kara Walters noted in her broadcast, when a player sees her minutes go down, it's usually a signal that the coach is not happy with her attitude, or output, during practice. Mir's back!!
I think you are reading way..... too much into that. When Mir entered the game yesterday, with about 8 minutes left in the game, the score was 66-22. Contrast that with the Arkansas game where Mir made her first appearance when UCONN was trailing by 13 points.

Reaction Score
I think you are reading way..... too much into that. When Mir entered the game yesterday, with about 8 minutes left in the game, the score was 66-22. Contrast that with the Arkansas game where Mir made her first appearance when UCONN was trailing by 13 points.
The last game, she got in just 2 minutes, and that was after Poffenbarger and Gabriel. That, too, was a blowout win. She's averaged seven and a half minutes in the past, and played eight and a half this time.

Reaction Score
No.
No.
Mir is an undersized post (4). although she did played some (5) in the Arkansas game. She is currently the 4th post in the the UCONN rotation behind Anna, ONO, AE and AG. Mir does not have the skill set to play on the wing or either guard position. The Guard and Wing positions are actually deeper positions on the current UCONN roster and projects to be even deeper next year. MIr would not benefit from a position switch as you seem to be suggesting. MIr is doing just fine. Meg Colmo added to the BY speculation yesterday by saying that inconsistent minutes as we are seeing for Mir "usually" equate to bad practice habits. The other thing that is going on is that the rotation is being setup for a NCAA tournament run. The current rotation is 7 players with Anna to be added when she returns.

She's not a post player. Never was. Coach Geno never could have envisioned her as a post player defending players 6'4" and taller. Makes no sense. Nowhere is she listed as a post, not on the UConn website, nor the ESPN recruiting webpage. And Coach Geno could never have recruited her thinking she was a "post," then figured out that she was only 5'11" and decided that, whoa!, she's too small to play that position. Clearly, he knew how tall she was when he recruited her. Her height is not the issue keeping her out of significant minutes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's not a post player. Never was. Coach Geno never could have envisioned her as a post player defending players 6'4" and taller. Makes no sense. Nowhere is she listed as a post, not on the UConn website, nor the ESPN recruiting webpage. And Coach Geno could never have recruited her thinking she was a "post," then figured out that she was only 5'11" and decided that, whoa!, she's too small to play that position. Clearly, he knew how tall she was when he recruited her. Her height is not the issue keeping her out of significant minutes.
Makes perfect sense if you watch the games and note who Mir is actually subbing into the games for.
I don't suppose you have ever heard of a former All American UCONN 5'11" post player named Gabby Williams?

Reaction Score
Makes perfect sense if you watch the games and note who Mir is actually subbing into the games for.
I don't suppose you have ever heard of a former All American UCONN 5'11" post player named Gabby Williams?
Likely that Mir is not a position player but all purpose disruptive much like Griffin. The men's game has moved in this direction and away from having a post for many teams. Is Mir the future of women's basketball?

Reaction Score
I personally think she played well yesterday.
Need minutes to show all that you deserve to be in the rotation. I like her tenacity and the fact that when she’s in for more than 2 minutes you get an idea of how good she can be. Mir has my vote to be the 8th player off the bench. If she continues to work hard her minutes will increase.
Just my opinion only.

Reaction Score
My confusion isn’t that Mir should get more playing time over Aubrey or anyone else in the regular rotation, I was wondering why did she come in after Saylor and Piath last game. She is far and away better than those two and deserves to be in during garbage time before anyone else. Unless her practice habits have been bad. That’s all.
Perhaps, Mir may have had a poor prior practice session !

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Likely that Mir is not a position player but all purpose disruptive much like Griffin. The men's game has moved in this direction and away from having a post for many teams. Is Mir the future of women's basketball?
Mir definitely has a position as do ALL the UCONN WBB players. As to her being the future of Women's basketball well..... I suppose anything is possible. What I don't understand is how the people that are advocating for more playing time for Mir don't know what position she actually plays.

Reaction Score
You're watching the games like all of us. Why are you saying she's not a post player. She works to get open at the low post and she will flash across the lane to get open a little higher along the key area. That's the definition of a post player as opposed to a wing player or point. Those are the 3 choices. Of course you can have different numbers of each. We all grew up with 2 posts, 2 wings, and a point.
I've written a couple of long posts in this thread about recruiting. To be honest, if Geno is not going to press 94 feet, I do not see how Mir fits into the rotation. Some people have said she's a version of AG. Personally I like her and I wish Geno had a 10 player rotation but I don't see that happening. The $60,000 dollar question is why did UConn recruit her.
If you look at my posts I try to make the point that Geno and the program have a responsibility to each recruit above and beyond NC's. You are right, how do you recruit a 5'11" post player at the nation's best WCBB program.
But, "if it's a duck....." Mir is a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom