Minnesota Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Minnesota Postgame Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I realize you can’t divide by 0, “INFINITY” sounds better than “UNDEFINED.” :)
12/0 based on the standard mathematical theory of limits is understood as Infinity. 0/0 is Undefined.

Reaction Score
If I could only find a Greek letter that is not already used in math I'd write a book and define 0/0 as that letter. Problem solved. Now we know it is [insert that letter here]. Same result but it gets rid of the undefined thing :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I could only find a Greek letter that is not already used in math I'd write a book and define 0/0 as that letter. Problem solved. Now we know it is [insert that letter here]. Same result but it gets rid of the undefined thing :)
No, that does not work, the '0' in the numerator and the '0' in the denominator can approach '0' in the sense of limits differently so their ratio can take on any value whatsoever.

Reaction Score
No, that does not work, the '0' in the numerator and the '0' in the denominator can approach '0' in the sense of limits differently so their ratio can take on any value whatsoever.
What?!#^%$

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Crystal did it against Baylor; Christyn did it against Notre Dame. I think maybe Azzi will do it against South Carolina.
If she does, the timing couldn't be more right!! We need somebody(s) to have a BIG game against them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Christyn played as complete an all around game as I’ve seen in a long time. In addition to her 31 pts, scoring from everywhere with incredible efficiency, she pulled down 4 rbs, dished out 3 assists against only 1 turnover.

In addition, Christyn absolutely locked down Scalia, holding her to only 2 pts in the 2nd half. After Scalia had torched UConn in the 1st half going 5/7 from the arch, Geno switched Christyn onto her and that was the end of that.
THAT impressed me more than the 31 points. If Christyn does that a few more times, we can call her "Lock-Down" Williams. We desperately need at least one player with lock down capabilities. I'm talking about a "magician" that can make somebody completely disappear. Christyn looks like she is willing to step up and accept that role. What a boon for the team if she does.

Reaction Score
“I’m glad there wasn’t a stand around and watch Page play. You know, sometimes people think that, you know, that that’s what we are. And don’t get me wrong. It’s fun watching her play like in the third quarter, but we have to have a team where we can go in a lot of different directions to try to get our points in.”

Paige didn’t score much yesterday. They didn’t run plays for her. They didn’t pass her the ball. And it didn’t matter yesterday because CW, one of my favorite players in recent times, had a great game against a weak opponent.

But I think if Geno can’t figure out how to balance Paige’s central role on the team with the needs of the other players, if he doesn’t let Paige lead the team with her basketball IQ, UConn might not have the ability to win a NC.
As I watched the replay last night, it occurred to me that everything with Paige yesterday (highlighted above) may have very well been by design. Watching the actual game, I wondered why Geno was seemingly giving Paige a hard time and putting her on the bench. I've come to the conclusion that he wasn't giving her a hard time, he was letting her know that he wanted the other players to run the game, so that they can take over and not 'stand around and watch Paige play'. There will be times this season when they will need to step up, especially if Paige has injury issues (God forbid). Paige came out of the locker room after halftime and lit it up for a few minutes and then went back into 'hibernation' mode. My opinion is Geno controlled how Paige played yesterday.

Then again, I could be totally full of it. It wouldn't be anything new.

Reaction Score
I suppose us math people could go around all day but we are both essentially saying the same thing and losing everyone else on the board so I'll just agree as you are right.

Reaction Score
A Goombay Smash is a lovely Bahamanian concoction that is made with Apricot Liqueur, Dark Rum, Coconut Rum & Pineapple juice.
Just as a aside;...we are going to need really consistent three point shooting to defeat South Carolina. Boston is impossible in the middle ( best player there in country by far ) and they have other size as well. I don't see it happening by Monday. But I am often wrong.

Reaction Score
Yea, I'll chime in on that---ONLY a 30 point win. We could have lost if CW didn't match the hotshots from Minne. (oops one of those hotshot is PB). Caroline and Fudd ,only one steal each,if Geno had been scouting Minne, maybe they'd have gotten 10 each. Then, Geno, what's he saving his bench for??? Only used 8 in the first half--Gaberial (Sp) in the last minutes, she should have started. Defense failed Uconn again. When will this END???
Please tell me that this was sarcasm...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just as a aside;...we are going to need really consistent three point shooting to defeat South Carolina. Boston is impossible in the middle ( best player there in country by far ) and they have other size as well. I don't see it happening by Monday. But I am often wrong.
OK, but what does that have to do with a Goombay Smash? ;)

Reaction Score
I”m new here, but I have been watching UConn for along time.
Something I have not noticed before:
There were a number of times when I thought Paige looked tired and fatigued and slightly slumped over
with an uncomfortable expression on her face.
Did anyone else notice this or am I just projecting?
Welcome to the Boneyard, where the “residents” are kind, thoughtful, knowledgeable, and definitely family oriented.

Reaction Score
Greetings from Atlantis! Sorry for the delay! I had to deal with balky and expensive WiFi and also check in with my peeps. :)

There was a minor glitch with my ticket, so they upgraded me to Row A. I was sitting practically next to Aubrey. The negative is that, when the bench players get excited and stand, it's really hard to see over 6'5" women when you are sitting on the same level where they are standing. But I was very close to the UConn players and the huddles. I made the video highlights of 2 of Christyn's 3-pointers.

The arena was in the oversized ballroom and looked pretty reasonable. The celling was lower than a normal arena but not a problem. Shooting percentages were good. I think there were about 1,000 people in the 3,500 or so seats.

Concerning the game, I thought it was good but not great. Another case of taking a lead of 12-15 points early and then giving up nearly all of it. I think we had a run of 11-0 to end the first half and one of 16-0 to start the second half (or close).

Clearly, Christyn was too quick, strong, and determined for Minnesota. Last week, she said attacking the basket is her bread and butter. Well, today was the whole loaf! And she made her FTs. CW was very focused. A+ for her today.

Evina looked solid again. Her notable weak moment was missing the first 2 of 3 free throws, but she had gotten knocked into or under the media table moments before. So it's understandable.

Paige was more of a facilitator today. At the start of the second half, she scored on our first 3 possessions, just to remind people that she was still there. And to stretch the lead from 12 to 17. Being so close to the floor, I could see a play where she got whacked in the face, but the ref didn't call anything. Paige looked at the ref as if to say, "Come on, Man!" News flash: Paige Bueckers has become a shot-blocking machine. I think she's averaging 2 bpg this season.

Liv and Liya looked pretty good today. I noticed in 2nd half warm-ups that Liv looked like Stef Curry. She nailed practically every shot from 15 to 20'. She made FTs with confidence today. Liv is playing stronger than last year.

Caroline made a couple of nice plays, including a good cut to the hoop, a block, and nailing 2 FTs.

Azzi's shot is still a little off, and she's still a little reluctant. But Katie Fudd says she'll be fine. (I knew that before Mom told me.) I think Monday would be a good time to splash several 3s.

Nika looked off at times and shot an airball. But she played better on defense. In the first half, she caused 2 successive airballs. In the second half, she got a strip steal and layup, followed by another breakaway. Occasionally, she's too emotional, but I love her energy.

I still miss Aubrey. She adds something that no other Husky does. I would have liked to see her defend Goforth and Scalia.

Game 2 is tomorrow at noon against USF. The forecast is for cloudy, mostly on the Bulls' end of the floor.
Thanks for this report. I’ll look forward to reading your next post on game 2. Stay safe while enjoying yourself.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I hope—plead actually—that we can finally see an end to poor mouthing of CW, which over the past few years has given us the most boneheaded commentary on the Boneyard.
I guess Geno did not get the memo since he questioned Christyn about wanting to be on the floor during a timeout. She isn't helping your plea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom