Mike Rice | The Boneyard

Mike Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not looking good for him. Looks like the school was black mailed and the guy leaked the tape.

Reaction Score
http://college-basketball.si.com/20...ly-and-verbally-assaulting-his-players-video/

Sorry if this has been posted before.

iv never heard of a coach doing that to his players, except Bob Night.
U
Simply unacceptable. The fact that RU initially tried to sweep this under the rug, and then finally relented and suspended the coach for an ENTIRE 3 games?! Ridiculous.

I have always made fun of RU because of the obvious "Napoleon Syndrome" they suffer from, but up until now, they just struck me as cheeseballs that tried to buy success through flashiness with Schiano and his traveling circus, but at least they did things the RIGHT way, even if it was embarrassing. If they don't fire this coach and the AD who covered up for him? They will expose themselves as a school that is willing to compromise their ethics for a chance of winning. I say "chance" because they STILL suck at hoop, even with this "hot shot" coach. I am very interested to see how the next Snake Oil Salesmen in charge (first, Schiano, for all intents and purposes the AD who got whatever he demanded, and now the AD Pernetti) handles this.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
There's video of him choking Neil Reed in practice.

I stand corrected. I forgot about Reed.

Mike Rice did it to a whole team, so I view this as different. Still, these coaches need to be a little less abusive. I'm all for pushing these kids hard, but firing basketballs at their heads is not acceptable.

Reaction Score
This is a serious pr issue that they will have to deal with. If they fire him now it is only going to be due to public outrage. If the tape never gets leaked the guy is their coach. AD comes out of this looking bad since he thought the three game suspension was more than enough after watching this...

Man this is gonna be an ugly next week or so for Rutgers

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I know the homophobic slurs and hitting kids is not good but this video only shows that Mike Rice behaves like a lot of highschool / college football coaches across the country.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. I forgot about Reed.

Mike Rice did it to a whole team, so I view this as different. Still, these coaches need to be a little less abusive. I'm all for pushing these kids hard, but firing basketballs at their heads is not acceptable.

What Knight did he did over a generation ago. You can argue it was still wrong then (it was), but it was much closer to being tolerated than now.

Reaction Score
Knight did a couple whacky things........excusable though........this stuff is beyond comprehension, the guy is plain screwed UP!! He'll never get another job........

They've had some beauties there huh? Big10 should be proud!:eek:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Knight did a couple whacky things........excusable though........this stuff is beyond comprehension, the guy is plain screwed UP!! He'll never get another job........

They've had some beauties there huh? Big10 should be proud!:eek:

Choking a player is excusable? I think with how good a coach was, most of Knight's stuff was excusable, but that (and, to a lesser degree, throwing a chair across the court) is way over the line.

Reaction Score
Choking a player is excusable? I think with how good a coach was, most of Knight's stuff was excusable, but that (and, to a lesser degree, throwing a chair across the court) is way over the line.

The worst thing knight did, which no one talked about, is assaulting a Puerto Rican policemen over practice time while coaching at the PanAm Games and then ignoring his arrest warrant when he left the jurisdiction.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The worst thing knight did, which no one talked about, is assaulting a Puerto Rican policemen over practice time while coaching at the PanAm Games and then ignoring his arrest warrant when he left the jurisdiction.

But he wears such colorful sweaters on ESPN! He's a good guy.

Reaction Score
The thing about Rice. The guy never won anything, and has put no players in the NBA really? Who the hell would accept a scholly and go there now that this is out there? They have to fire him just for the sake of trying to field a competitive team. I liked Rice, thought he could maybe turn them around. Where have you gone Bob Wenzel or was it Wetzel? I can't remember.

Reaction Score
Covering up for anything like this is never permissible, but covering up for a legendary coach, like Bob Knight is at least halfway understandable. Covering up for a nobody like Mike Rice is mind boggling. The AD needs to be fired for the sheer lunacy of putting his program at substantial risk of legal liability for trying to placate an idiot coach with no pedigree to warrant it. Now that Gov. Christie has weighed in (no pun intended, lol) it will be curtains for Coach Rice and probable dismissal for AD Pernetti. Lots of money will now be paid to Eric Murdock and we'll wait to see what other lawsuits percolate up from this debacle.

Reaction Score

Who did he choke? Neil Reed? ....... that wasn't ever as bad as they made it although it was inexcusable. Overall though his stuff is excusable unless you or your kid is a pu**y and can't handle some hardline coaching tactics....... and the chair? That was great...........!! Rice is throwing balls at their nutsack half the time, guys a whacko!.........and we knew Bobby could coach!!

I am actually amazed, with the kids attitudes in this day and age, that one at least did not attack the pc of crap and knock him out!!

Reaction Score
Covering up for anything like this is never permissible, but covering up for a legendary coach, like Bob Knight is at least halfway understandable. Covering up for a nobody like Mike Rice is mind boggling. The AD needs to be fired for the sheer lunacy of putting his program at substantial risk of legal liability for trying to placate an idiot coach with no pedigree to warrant it. Now that Gov. Christie has weighed in (no pun intended, lol) it will be curtains for Coach Rice and probable dismissal for AD Pernetti. Lots of money will now be paid to Eric Murdock and we'll wait to see what other lawsuits percolate up from this debacle.

Yup.

John_Infante 10:00am via Tweetbot for iOS
The cherry on top of this Rutgers debacle will be when we find out exactly how much this episode cost a cash-strapped athletic department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom