Mike Rehfeldt Returning to Cincy | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mike Rehfeldt Returning to Cincy

Reaction Score
The reason Rehfeldt came to UCONN was because he was trying to get his wife into ESPN and a better gig. It didn't work. Now he went back to Cinci. I think Mike is a great strength and conditioning coach. This has nothing to do with John Brennan.

Mick Cronin knew this already, which is why Rehfeldt is not in LA.

This is about Hurley and going out of his way to hire mercenaries who drop him at their earliest convenience, which is not surprising. The approach to hiring new staff needs to be better. You don't hire a coach at UCONN for the men's basketball program from halfway around the country where he has been working at for a decade whose only coming to your neck of the woods to sponsor his wife for a job.

I’ve read this many times. The conclusions I’ve reached include the following: you don’t know what “mercenary” means; you don’t have sufficient knowledge of the situation in CincinnatI; you think it’s logical to take a data point, while ignoring all others, and extrapolate it to fit a narrative you already hold; or you don’t have sufficient knowledge of Hurley’s hires over the past 11 years. I fear it would be very boring, but I can go through them if you’d like.

Last edited:

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
i wouldn’t read too much into it boys. he didn’t want to leave in the first place. and he chose to go to uconn because of mick’s relationship with hurley. he came back and got a promotion too btw. from what I heard it’s not like uconn didn’t try to keep him, they tried hard.

Reaction Score
The reason Rehfeldt came to UCONN was because he was trying to get his wife into ESPN and a better gig. It didn't work. Now he went back to Cinci. I think Mike is a great strength and conditioning coach. This has nothing to do with John Brennan.

Mick Cronin knew this already, which is why Rehfeldt is not in LA.

This is about Hurley and going out of his way to hire mercenaries who drop him at their earliest convenience, which is not surprising. The approach to hiring new staff needs to be better. You don't hire a coach at UCONN for the men's basketball program from halfway around the country where he has been working at for a decade whose only coming to your neck of the woods to sponsor his wife for a job.

The ESPN-better gig reasoning does not have a great foundation.

Why would someone looking for an "in" at ESPN come to UConn to set up base? ESPN may be located in Connecticut but it has for years treated UConn like the step-sisters treated Cinderella. Maybe use Puke or some other collegiate setting as a launching pad into ESPN, UConn not.

Also, in this age of such wonderful technology and the last twelve months from hell, in-person job interviewing has disappeared, if his wife was looking to land at ESPN she had an equal shot from California as from Connecticut, being 40 miles away in Storrs was no advantage, she may as well have been in Juneau.

Reaction Score
This guy is a UConn grad and used to work for the Mets

Is this true? other than the fake weights controversy this is one of the best fitness channels out there.

Reaction Score

Probably makes too much money but maybe Jesse is available.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yeah I think he makes something like half a mil a month from YouTube stand alone

Reaction Score
Mike was very good at what he did. It’s a hit, no doubt about it. It’s not like Ohio is the only place he ever lived. He worked in CA and FL before and went to college elsewhere.
Generally, Chief has always taken the view, that you want talented employees to be happy, so they are not even looking at a lateral type opportunity elsewhere. A major step up is of course a different matter and should be supported as long as it makes sense.
Maybe in this case, his wife has a unique opportunity in OH, but if that’s the case there should have been more of an effort here to find her something.

Reaction Score
Maybe Mike, being a tough guy I would think, should grow a set of balls and let his job mean something too. Or maybe they don't like CT or something? Who knows but need to get someone in who makes an impact like he did, he was good at what he did in Storrs for sure.

Reaction Score
Maybe Mike, being a tough guy I would think, should grow a set of balls and let his job mean something too. Or maybe they don't like CT or something? Who knows but need to get someone in who makes an impact like he did, he was good at what he did in Storrs for sure.
Say that to his face and let us know how tough he is ??

Reaction Score
hahaha I watch Jeff's videos and Jesse has definitely made progress over the years.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Another alum who is a great s&c coach is Eric Cressey but he’s now is with the Yankees

UConn probably pays more than the NYY, no?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I can confirm the job posting comes down on the 9th. My NBA scout sources and dear friend Andre Drummond told me that Hurley likes to have the strength coach job posting down by May 9th.

Confirmed.

New S&C coach will be before September, but most likely mid-May first business day that week because Hurley likes his staff locked in by May. He doesn't mind moves in April, but he draws the line at May. If you guys knew what I know you wouldn't be worried, lol.

Reaction Score
Looks like he works with all sports but football per this press release.

Glad he went back if that is where his heart is. Hope he is doing it cause he likes the university though. If Wes Miller is as good as projected, this may be a short stay & Mike will have a new “boss”. Hope it won’t be another Brannen type

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom