Mike DiMauro's article sums up many on Boneyard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike DiMauro's article sums up many on Boneyard

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Why though? People carry signs protesting presidents suggesting they be impeached. We're not calling for the head of a machinist making ends meet for his family in the private sector; he's the state's highest paid employee. Saying "Fire Ollie" is civil discourse. That isn't calling him names or being threatening, it's stating an opinion pretty respectfully, and in a strategic way that generates publicity. Saying he should be fired says nothing about what anyone thinks of him as a person
Well said Phil

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think Jay Wright's UConn team gets closer than 20 points to Jay Wright's Villanova team - and if they're coached by Ollie, much closer...
How did Jay Wright's (I believe #2 ranked) club do against KO's UConn team four years ago? I believe if KO coached Nova that game and Wright coached UConn, Nova would have advanced to the sweet sixteen.

Keep in mind we outscored them by ~10 points over the last part of the first half with our best player (who some have recently claimed really coached that team) on the bench.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Clueless is name calling? LOL, sorry to hurt your feelings. Keep bringing in those signs that's a real mans way to present one's opinion. ;)
Was that an apology, or an attack... Maybe both:confused:.... thanks, I guess?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is the present: Notable UConn fan "Big Red" actually did his "U-C-O-N-N UConn! UConn! UConn!" cheer after Villanova coach Jay Wright called a timeout Saturday ... with the Huskies down 18.

What is the issue here? That's happened with UCONN down many many times in the past

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why though? People carry signs protesting presidents suggesting they be impeached. We're not calling for the head of a machinist making ends meet for his family in the private sector; he's the state's highest paid employee. Saying "Fire Ollie" is civil discourse. That isn't calling him names or being threatening, it's stating an opinion pretty respectfully, and in a strategic way that generates publicity. Saying he should be fired says nothing about what anyone thinks of him as a person
like he said - some people just don't grow up

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
And if the sign said "I love you KO - 4 more years"
Yeah - your going to say that they had the right to have the sign and to be a stupid aresewipe

blindfolds have nothing to do with it btw - that's just lib talking points

If you don't like KO you don't like him but a sign like that is plain stupid to bring into an arena where it could cause issues
Id be totally fine if someone wanted to profess their love for KO via a sign, you're just assuming there my friend (and we all know what happens when you assume)

and what are the exact issues it may cause? Hurt feelings? If anything, it's an honest reflection of one mans opinion on the program. If some in the administration are too thin skinned to accept one fans opinion, we're worst off than I originally imagined. And by the amount of boos heard arena wide at the XL he is not alone.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The University policy is no signs at games. They've had some ones in the past.

Reaction Score
He basically summarized what we have all been babbling about for the last 2+ years. You can’t win without players, or shooters. Yesterday was a clinic in that. Reverse coaches and Jay Wright couldn’t win.

Reverse coaches and Jay Wright would have prioritized recruiting shooters instead of guys like Larrier who look the part but can't actually play.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m with Mau here. Yes, he has every right to bring the sign into the arena. And the arena, hired out by the university, has every right to confiscate it.

But it shows a clear immaturity. It’s a matter of class, grace, and appropriateness, regardless of whether he’s right or wrong. Yeah, you get your tantrum on national TV. But it has no effect, and is just a bad look during a reunion game between two old rivals. What, is that the start of some nascent movement?

You’re free to disagree, just as I disagree with you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m with Mau here. Yes, he has every right to bring the sign into the arena. And the arena, hired out by the university, has every right to confiscate it.

But it shows a clear immaturity. It’s a matter of class, grace, and appropriateness, regardless of whether he’s right or wrong. Yeah, you get your tantrum on national TV. But it has no effect, and is just a bad look during a reunion game between two old rivals. What, is that the start of some nascent movement?

You’re free to disagree, just as I disagree with you.

Um he doesn’t have a right to bring the sign.

By using to the ticket you agree to follow the terms and conditions.

The rules are no signs.

You don’t need Matlock for this one.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Um he doesn’t have a right to bring the sign.

By using to the ticket you agree to follow the terms and conditions.

The rules are no signs.

You don’t need Matlock for this one.
Actually, now that you mention it, you’re right.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I like your new look.
Doesn't mean I agree with you, but I'm listening.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Actually, now that you mention it, you’re right.
I think you got it more right the first time.
He can bring the sign (though not really as a "right"), and they can confiscate it (as part of the revocable license under which the admittance was purchased).
Similarly, Sammy can appropriate the image for his avatar, and Tom can remove it.
Swirling around all of this is that, as with common sense, common courtesy isn't so common any more.

Reaction Score
The best thing that could have happened all the way around was for it to be confiscated. I don't like that stuff at sporting events, so i'm glad it was taken away. On the flip side, I agree with the sentiment. And the sentiment is being seen by a lot more people thanks to it being confiscated as opposed to it being simply left alone.

Reaction Score
I don't respect idiots, pretty simple.

Ollie unlike his paycheck has earned these signs and getting booed.

That fan you call an idiot cares more about this program than you.

Reaction Score
Ollie unlike his paycheck has earned these signs and getting booed.

That fan you call an idiot cares more about this program than you.
Well that's just BS. You can disagree with Mau's position but that doesn't mean he cares less about the program. He's on the GD BY every day for Christ sake. Myself I wouldn't call the fan an idiot but I don't like the look on national TV.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you got it more right the first time.
He can bring the sign (though not really as a "right"), and they can confiscate it (as part of the revocable license under which the admittance was purchased).
Similarly, Sammy can appropriate the image for his avatar, and Tom can remove it.
Swirling around all of this is that, as with common sense, common courtesy isn't so common any more.

‘Right’ would imply this is protected speech. It’s not. You don’t have a right to bring signs.

Changing the word right to can/could changes the entire post.

You can do whatever you choose. That doesn’t have anything to do with your rights.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If you're not allowed to bring in signs, positive or negative, then the sign should have been confiscated. If a fan is a jerk for bringing in a negative sign what is he/she for bringing in a positive sign? Isn't "positive" or "negative" highly subjective?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If you're not allowed to bring in signs, positive or negative, then the sign should have been confiscated. If a fan is a jerk for bringing in a negative sign what is he/she for bringing in a positive sign? Isn't "positive" or "negative" highly subjective?
Subjective? Sure
Highly? Not so much

Reaction Score
I don’t recall ever seeing the “Olliewood” signs being confiscated.

The kid made his message and it hit the attention of the fans & media to the point that we now have a thread discussing it as well as mention in recent articles. Confiscated or not, he succeeded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom