Mike DiMauro: Hurley, Huskies get their mulligan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mike DiMauro: Hurley, Huskies get their mulligan

Reaction Score
We are lucky to have Sanogo. Already he does things better than our recent post players but he needs to quickly pass out of that post when doubled. Assuming we have 3 ball shooters. He's a 15 and 10 guy given the PT.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Wait until we go 0-3 in Atlantis. You see that lineup? I was excited to go, but now it seems like a waste of 6k. Maybe Im in for a pleasant surprise. I yet hold out hope.
My thoughts exactly. Although it was a good time the last outing, I was hoping to see the same players. That would of be a dream come true, In sports anyway. Even then it was a costly trip. Over 4K. My son and I. Close games Nail biters. Worth it. I had all reservations completed by May. this year, I am waiting it out.

Reaction Score
we have a major difference in perception of gaffney. i feel like he is the polar opposite of cv.

from the beginning cv had probably too much confidence. it took him a few years for his abilities to catch up to his perception of himself. the one thing he always had though was an incredible motor.

gaffney seems to suffer from a significant lack of confidence in his abilities, which causes him to play very tentatively. he seems to suffer from the opposite problem from cv....he needs his confidence to catch up to his actual abilities.

Yeah tbh, I wasnt a huge fan of CV in the beginning. Probably because i felt like he was too confident to the point of cockiness that wasnt warranted but I really liked what i saw last year. Just a shame that covid hit when the team was gelling.

Reaction Score
Wait until we go 0-3 in Atlantis. You see that lineup? I was excited to go, but now it seems like a waste of 6k. Maybe Im in for a pleasant surprise. I yet hold out hope.
I guarantee people with Maui tickets in 2010 said that too.

Granted there isn’t a Kemba on this roster, but maybe the success will come a different way.

Reaction Score
Hurley has to change the pace we play at, it's by far my biggest criticism of him and it makes no sense to me.
Will he ever use even a little zone to mix it up....especially when guys get into foul trouble?

Reaction Score
All the book like post. Learn to convey with a few sentences.

Defense will be key to us being better and hopefully the leftovers and new comers can be better on offense. This should make for another nccaa appearance

Reaction Score
Next year needs to be better despite the probable loss of Bouknight. I hope Hurley is ready for those expectations.
I think Sanogo takes the team to the next level next year. It would be nice to have Bouk back for one more year, but Sanogo has shown that he only gets better throughout the season.

Reaction Score
Shooting is certainly the biggest concern, we don't have no shooting like some are pretending but we don't have enough right now. Cole knocked down 39% of his threes, Gaffney knocked down 36%, and Hawkins is a knockdown shooter at the high school level. I want at least one major shooter used on one of these final scholarships and another bucket getter would be nice.

Look at what Oral Roberts is doing - largely because they take care of the ball and are super efficient from deep. We don't have anyone we can rely on for a bucket when we need one.

Reaction Score
Don’t particularly like Mike the writer because he is very much out to get UConn but I don’t disagree. I don’t have the championship level expectations in the next 5 years feeling that I hope i would feel in year 3 going on year 4. At some point got to start beating the novas of the world and stop talking about the past. That’s been my biggest criticism. Talking about how bad it was under the hood. Ok that was 2018. You’re almost in ur 2022 season. The car is mainly fixed. You got your own guys. We get it you loved your time in Rhode Island. The memories are sweet. But now it’s time to show the car off. I think us giving him a mulligan next year for losing Bouknight isn’t what I’d do but hey I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he’s the right guy. And a really good dude. Lets see what he does with the transfer market. I think it’s fair if the fan base starts to expect more. Not national championship but it should be no doubt tourney teams from now on.

Reaction Score
Don’t particularly like Mike the writer because he is very much out to get UConn but I don’t disagree. I don’t have the championship level expectations in the next 5 years feeling that I hope i would feel in year 3 going on year 4. At some point got to start beating the novas of the world and stop talking about the past. That’s been my biggest criticism. Talking about how bad it was under the hood. Ok that was 2018. You’re almost in ur 2022 season. The car is mainly fixed. You got your own guys. We get it you loved your time in Rhode Island. The memories are sweet. But now it’s time to show the car off. I think us giving him a mulligan next year for losing Bouknight isn’t what I’d do but hey I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he’s the right guy. And a really good dude. Lets see what he does with the transfer market. I think it’s fair if the fan base starts to expect more. Not national championship but it should be no doubt tourney teams from now on.
I hear ya and don’t disagree, just think it takes time to build it up right. We all want to beat Nova regularly, but they’re simply on another level. Jay has that thing rolling, but it took him a long time to get it there. I know it’s easy to look at some other coaches that have come in and had great success early on ala Oats or Musselman, but they’re more of the exception than anything else. Indiana, Pitt, Marquette, Wake Forest, etc etc are all pretty big programs that are floundering and sputtering out of control, literally just trying to get back on the tracks.

The good thing is Hurley stabilized that for UConn. He’s got them back in a respectable place, that’s the biggest hurdle. it’s gonna take him that 5-6 years to fully get it hummin I think, but it’s stabilized so I’m good with giving him the leeway there. I really like Sanogo/Jackson & the incoming freshmen (along with getting Floyd too). I think adding one more impact guy to the roster is honestly all you want. These young guys are talented and need minutes too It’s a tricky balancing act. I definitely do not want to add too many like grad transfers that’ll take away from the future/development of the younger guys. They’re the future and they need the game time. Excited to see what’s ahead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom