Mike DiMauro: Hurley, Huskies get their mulligan | The Boneyard

Mike DiMauro: Hurley, Huskies get their mulligan

Reaction Score
Next year needs to be better despite the probable loss of Bouknight. I hope Hurley is ready for those expectations.
unless there is a significant talent addition via transfer i’m not sure why we would expect an improvement next year.

the freshman we are bringing in will address key weaknesses (no true pg, lack of scoring outside bouk, need for a stretch 4 next to sanogo). but they are freshman so we shouldn’t rely on them too much.

i think we are well positioned for 2022-23, but i expect next year to be a very challenging year given how reliant this team was on bouknight, how many flaws we have without him, and how young key pieces will be next year.

obviously all of this is subject to change with transfer market.

Reaction Score
unless there is a significant talent addition via transfer i’m not sure why we would expect an improvement next year.

the freshman we are bringing in will address key weaknesses (no true pg, lack of scoring outside bouk, need for a stretch 4 next to sanogo). but they are freshman so we shouldn’t rely on them too much.

i think we are well positioned for 2022-23, but i expect next year to be a very challenging year given how reliant this team was on bouknight, how many flaws we have without him, and how young key pieces will be next year.

The hope is next year's team is a better fit to play together. I don't think next year's team will be more talented but I wouldn't be surprised if they're a better team.

Of course this is all reliant on how we use the 2-3 open scholarships, because while the pieces we have now fit together well, there's still some pretty glaring holes that need to be filled (shooters, shooters, more shooters, and a big man)

Reaction Score
at this point I don’t think it’s crazy to assume at least similar outcome. If we don’t have injuries, we should have Akok back at something like full strength, 3 impact rookies who should all play a bit each game, Jackson’s offense should be improving, Sanogo should improve, Cole/gaffney/Martin scoring should improve too.

I’m hoping Isaiah returns but we’ll see, could be a step down or a nice little lateral/slight upward trend. Is it November yet???

Reaction Score
After the hangover I woke up with yesterday wore off, I realized that I prefer the disappointment of getting bounced in the first round of the tournament to the disappointment of finishing the season 14-18 and ranked 200th in the country. Given where the program was a couple years ago, this is progress. (I know a very loud poster disagrees.)

Lot of questions for next year, scoring chief among them. But they should be back in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Gonna need a couple quality transfers to be tourney-level competitive next year IMO, especially at guard.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
After the hangover I woke up with yesterday wore off, I realized that I prefer the disappointment of getting bounced in the first round of the tournament to the disappointment of finishing the season 14-18 and ranked 200th in the country. Given where the program was a couple years ago, this is progress. (I know a very loud poster disagrees.)

Lot of questions for next year, scoring chief among them. But they should be back in the tournament.

Wait until we go 0-3 in Atlantis. You see that lineup? I was excited to go, but now it seems like a waste of 6k. Maybe Im in for a pleasant surprise. I yet hold out hope.

Reaction Score
If we aren't competitive next year like some are predicting then we will have major problems. It will be the first time Hurley has all his own players and the team will be comprised of players in the 50-75 range of recruit.

I expect us to be a tournament team at a minimum.

Reaction Score
Revisit that sentiment in November and see who's on the roster. And, as someone pointed out, guys get better under this regime.
Shooting is certainly the biggest concern, we don't have no shooting like some are pretending but we don't have enough right now. Cole knocked down 39% of his threes, Gaffney knocked down 36%, and Hawkins is a knockdown shooter at the high school level. I want at least one major shooter used on one of these final scholarships and another bucket getter would be nice.

Reaction Score
A big piece is getting the pandemic under control and getting these guys camps, games and proper training
Bingo.

A full offseason of development for Sanogo and AJ is critical. A full offseason of training and residual rehab for Akok is equally critical. None of that occurred last offseason.

Not to mention our net roster loss is (likely): Bouk, Adams, Whaley, Polley, Carlton
And our net roster gain is (likely): Diggins, Hawkins, Johnson

Of course, Bouk is an enormous gap. But there's a strong argument that the net gain outweighs the non-Bouk net losses.

I also think there's an argument that having fewer players worthy of PT is not a bad thing. Removing Springs, Adams, and Akok, there were 9 players who could command PT. You can kind of combine those three into 1 and say DH had to manage minutes for 10 players. That rotation is too big.

Next year's potential rotation is: (in no particular order)
1 - Cole, Gaff, Diggins
2/3 - Martin, Akok, AJ, Hawkins, Springs
4/5 - Sanogo, Johnson

This is still 10, but slightly more manageable. Realistically, if more were to be added (or if seniors cam back) it'd likely result in some on this list transferring. There's only so many minutes available. In a world where Akok is fully healthy, he commands 32-35 mins a game. That's 15-18% of possible minutes taken right there. Similar argument for Sanogo.

Sanogo has the tools - a full offseason to condition and develop can turn him into the top big man in the conference. A truly dominant big man is something we haven't had since Thabeet. I'd love to see him develop a mid-range jump shot, his form as a freshman seemed like it was on its way there. He'd need that to excel at the pro level anyway.

If we determine that Akok and Sanogo take up 30% of available minutes each game, there's not a lot left - and we haven't even allotted minutes for a point guard.

August_West

Reaction Score
Revisit that sentiment in November and see who's on the roster. And, as someone pointed out, guys get better under this regime.

This is just spitballing projection, but the wildcards are gaff and Akok. Cole and Martin are veteran known quantities and obviously important pieces, but I think they are who they are by now. Sanogo has tremendous upside, obviously, and he will be a good one. However a back to the basket offensive threat who can be pulled outside and abused on the defensive end in todays version of basketball is a net wash. Jackson for all his tantalizing skills and athleticism, Im not sold on. The best passer and court vision guy in eons, but on the offensive end he cant shoot (and that is a generous,delicate way to put it) and he cant get to the rim (which is mystifying with someone with his handle and athleticism). He's the one that needs to take the huge leap for this team to go from middle of pack to playing for something. Which brings me back to gaff and Akok. I just dont know what we will get from Akok. No one does. Gaff could turn into a solid upper classman guard. Hes got the tools. But we have to see it. I cant project it definitively either way. We have some talented Freshmen coming in. But they are freshmen, none as talented as Bouk. So Im hesitant to think we get immediate star power dividends on that front.

Transfer portal? Its wild west, I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
This is just spitballing projection, but the wildcards are gaff and Akok. Cole and Martin are veteran known quantities and obviously important pieces, but I think they are who they are by now. Sanogo has tremendous upside, obviously, and he will be a good one. However a back to the basket offensive threat who can be pulled outside and abused on the defensive end in todays version of basketball is a net wash. Jackson for all his tantalizing skills and athleticism, Im not sold on. The best passer and court vision guy in eons, but on the offensive end he cant shoot (and that is a generous,delicate way to put it) and he cant get to the rim (which is mystifying with someone with his handle and athleticism). He's the one that needs to take the huge leap for this team to go from middle of pack to playing for something. Which brings me back to gaff and Akok. I just dont know what we will get from Akok. No one does. Gaff could turn into a solid upper classman guard. Hes got the tools. But we have to see it. I cant project it definitively either way. We have some talented Freshmen coming in. But they are freshmen, none as talented as Bouk. So Im hesitant to think we get immediate star power dividends on that front.

Transfer portal? Its wild west, I guess we'll see.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of this. I'll just note that it's borderline criminal to play this walk it up ____ with a guy like Jackson on the roster. Just a complete waste of his abilities.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hurley recognizes that year 7 is going to have significantly higher expectations than year 3 of a rebuild. This isn't some "gotcha".

Once we get into an equilibrium, our good years will be winning the Big East, top 3 seed, second weekend run. Our bad years will be bubble team.

I don't think Hurley thinks this is URI where a 7 seed and a first weekend loss is the top of the mountain.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The hope is next year's team is a better fit to play together. I don't think next year's team will be more talented but I wouldn't be surprised if they're a better team.

Of course this is all reliant on how we use the 2-3 open scholarships, because while the pieces we have now fit together well, there's still some pretty glaring holes that need to be filled (shooters, shooters, more shooters, and a big man)
Having Akok really back should be a big help

Reaction Score
A dependable scorer a la Microwave/rashad + Isiah staying may not hurt, but I'll root for whomever dons the National Flag Blue, White, and red trim

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We will bring in transfers. Gaffney will be better. Cole better. Sanogo better. Martin better. Jackson much much better. A real key is Akok, we missed him this year. Hurley never figured out how to replace him at the 4. No matter who played there, they couldn't do some of what he can do. Then you add 3 talented freshmen.

I think we'll be better than we were this year. The improvements will be critical, but I also think the structure of the team will be better. They were too dependent on one guy this year. Next year there should be more balance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wait until we go 0-3 in Atlantis. You see that lineup? I was excited to go, but now it seems like a waste of 6k. Maybe Im in for a pleasant surprise. I yet hold out hope.
We're going Sunday to Sunday so I hope to be able to catch one of our women's games before the men's tournament starts; but even if we go 0-3 I still expect it to be a great trip.

Where are you staying?

August_West

Reaction Score
Hurley has to change the pace we play at, it's by far my biggest criticism of him and it makes no sense to me.

He's got to make a decision. Are we a slow down back to the basket feed the post team with Sanogo?

Or are we an athletic team who gets out in transition? You cant serve two masters.

I could actually argue that the success of Sanogo (and he was a GREAT frosh!) actually may have hurt us. Because with him in the game we didnt space the floor enough to let Bouk operate.

In my mind the best lineup (offensively) for the team whose season just ended was:

Cole, Gaffney, Bouk, Polley, Whaley.

That is the only lineup that could spread the floor and create space for Bouk.

Bouk wasnt the same after injury, and Im sure some of that was attributable to injury, I also think that some of it was we didnt give him space to operate once he came back. We were clogging the lane on offense and letting the defesnive team guard 3 Huskies with 2 defenders! So of course Bouk is gonna get blitzed with that given. I like Dan Hurley, this was not a good coaching year offensively using the pieces you have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom