Mike DeCourcy Picks UConn 14th, Behind DePaul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike DeCourcy Picks UConn 14th, Behind DePaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
KEA was better than Bazz, Boat and Omar put together.

Reaction Score
the 99 team was not only good, it was experienced. And while everyone remembers that they upset Duke, the idea that it was some huge upset is really based on history rather than performance. that team had spent more time ranked #1 thann Duke. It finished the season 34-2. It had everyone back from a teams that had lost in the elite 8 the year before and they had added Khalid ElAmin so they were used to playing in big games. And it isn't always about just having NBA players. It is about having the right players and the right chemistry. See the 2006 team as an example of one that lacked the right chemistry despite having good players, or last year's for that matter.

Reaction Score
You're comparing this band of misfit toys to the 1999 National champs? Let's see:
C. Voskel C: Who knows
SF: Rip Hamilton SF: Daniels
PF: Freeman PF:Olander
PG: ElAmin PG: Napier
SG: Ricky Moore SG: Boatright

I'll take the 1999 team, let you play 6 on 5 and spot you 10 and probably still win by 25. Hamilton was an established big time player. Daniels is a reputation looking for actual production. El Amin was a big time college point guard. Moore was tough as nails and Freeman regularly battled bigger better players. he would eat Olander 's lunch. Voskel was a very good, if underrated player as his NBA career showed.

Wow that's going out on a limb........hope no one is actually comparing the 2 teams. It doesn't hurt to hope they can be a pretty good team with the type of chemistry that 99 team had..........talent aside this team overachieves and everyone should be happy. Then begin to build it back to a UConn program squad!!

Reaction Score
the 99 team was not only good, it was experienced. And while everyone remembers that they upset Duke, the idea that it was some huge upset is really based on history rather than performance. that team had spent more time ranked #1 thann Duke. It finished the season 34-2. It had everyone back from a teams that had lost in the elite 8 the year before and they had added Khalid ElAmin so they were used to playing in big games. And it isn't always about just having NBA players. It is about having the right players and the right chemistry. See the 2006 team as an example of one that lacked the right chemistry despite having good players, or last year's for that matter.

The 99 team was great, fun to watch and especially fun to watch grow over the 3 years together............the whole key could have been Ricky and Kirk not being able to play when these Jr's were frosh and it allowed people minutes to mature and gain experience..........

But this is about now and this could be the beginning of a rebirth for the program and similar to that team......

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't get crazy.............

People forget. This year we have a junior talking about leadership. KEA took over as leader during his official visit.

Reaction Score
It had everyone back from a teams that had lost in the elite 8 the year before and they had added Khalid ElAmin so they were used to playing in big games.

El-Amin was on the team that went to the Elite 8 in 1998. He was a sophomore on the 1998-1999 championship team. So they had the whole starting line-up back from the Elite 8 team, which further emphasizes your point.

Reaction Score
I am not making any comparisons except to say that chemistry and teamwork can go a long way. Look- we are in a better position with KO then either UK or IU was when they lost their HOF coach. I am not pumping up the team as much as I am pumping up the fact that we may not fall off a cliff to the degree those teams did after losing their HOF coach.

Why not? There is a chance we could finish in the top 5-6 in the BE this year if everything falls into place. Hope. It is part of being a fan and believing in your team. If some people on this board do not like optimism then I am going to be butting heads all year- so be it.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
People forget. This year we have a junior talking about leadership. KEA took over as leader during his official visit.

No doubt KEA was a leader and his personality/arrogance was much needed by that team........I can see Boat with a little KEA in him although he has more of a chip in his brashness, not quite the same but similar. Boat might actually turn out to be a better overall player but that doesn't always relate to team chemistry like KEA exemplified...........we'll see though but both he and Bazz are similar........and since we haven't seen Omar play I just don't think you can say he was better than all put together, but I get where your coming from Waq........

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Me use (a little) hyperbole? That's unpossible!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Me use (a little) hyperbole? That's unpossible!

inconceivable.jpg

Reaction Score
And it isn't always about just having NBA players. It is about having the right players and the right chemistry. See the 2006 team as an example of one that lacked the right chemistry despite having good players, or last year's for that matter.

If were debating history (and I love doing that), I don't think the 2006 team lacked chemistry, per se. Let's not forget that team only lost two games in the regular season (BE opener @ Marquette where Steve Novak hung 40 on us, IIRC, and @ Nova).

The 2006 team's issue was losing focus down the stretch as basically our top 6 players were all looking towards their NBA careers. That and the lack of depth at PG.

Reaction Score
If were debating history (and I love doing that), I don't think the 2006 team lacked chemistry, per se. Let's not forget that team only lost two games in the regular season (BE opener @ Marquette where Steve Novak hung 40 on us, IIRC, and @ Nova).

The 2006 team's issue was losing focus down the stretch as basically our top 6 players were all looking towards their NBA careers. That and the lack of depth at PG.
That is a reasonable argument and one Calhoun himself supported. I guess the lack of a guy who could bring them back into focus is arguably a chemistry issue, though. Austrie was a good enough point guard to play a few minutes here and there to spot Williams. After all, they had played a bunch of games with him there during Williams' unfortunate situation. Calhoun just refused to use him, which I've always thought was a coaching error on his part.

Reaction Score
Intersting question, though, is if DeCoursey is correct and UConn finishes 14th or worse, is that the end of the kevin Ollie experiment? Or will there still be pressure to extend his reign?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Intersting question, though, is if DeCoursey is correct and UConn finishes 14th or worse, is that the end of the kevin Ollie experiment? Or will there still be pressure to extend his reign?

It's the end.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's the end.

Not necessarily. It would depend on the non-qualitative metrics. But I would have to figure that if this team comes in 14th those would be pretty bad.

Reaction Score
I get the idea that you don't make this strictly about wins and losses. We lack the horses to win 25 games this year. But we are also not Depaul or Providence. And if we finish behind them, something is very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom