Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They help fill stadiums. They tell people who is good, who is worth watching, who is improving. I’m sitting at a 5 day Thanksgiving celebration in Florida and the ACC fans actually think the ACC is the equal of the SEC. Why? ESPN says so. You could fill the Rent with ease if ESPN kept saying UConn was on the cusp of being good or great. That’s all Connecticut needs to hear.

One statement can be argued as possibly true.

One cannot.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
To make thar argument you’d need to use logic opposite what this thread is based on.

Fwiw, few agree specifically to that case and almost no one agrees with 2 loss teams over 1 loss teams in general when there is a h2h win.

Best conference champions. How you decide that is an open question but it should start with the champions as determined by the conference. If they want to risk missing our because a 2 or 3 or 4 loss team wins its CCG, no one would cry over it if that was stated up front.

The Washington/Penn State argument or Oklahoma/Penn State argument would have been tougher than the Ohio State/Penn State argument.

Personally, for FB, Start with the number of wins vs. 8 win teams (means you won most of your OOC and finished over .500 in conference), add the number of Top 25 wins (final poll only), add the number of Top 10 and Top 5 wins then subtract the number of unranked losses and number of sub .500 losses. Highest ranked win breaks ties. Conference champions only and I'll live with whatever results may come.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don’t envy Aresco’s position. He’s trying to make the big kids think that the tallest midget belongs. But, he took the position knowing that, so I don’t have all that much sympathy to hear from him that people don’t buy what he’s selling. That’s his job. Figure it out Mike. Putting P6 on down markers ain’t doing it.

My opinion is he has to figure out how to get the other leagues to agree to a 6 or 8 team playoff that includes the AAC. That’s not easy but I don’t see another way.

It wouldn’t hurt if teams consistently beat the P5 either but that’s out of his control.
I agree with you on all of this. However, while the whole P6 thing is silly, if he didn’t do anything we’d all be killing him for that. At least he’s trying something. Even if it’s a battle he’ll never win, he’s at least trying to justify his paycheck. In the end, it’s not ever going to happen and I agree that the only chance is that they expand the playoff and include either us or just the best G5 team. I just don’t see them, the P5, ever agreeing to that. They think they are doing their part by allowing the best G5 to have the “honor” of being in a big time bowl game.

If Aresco wants to do something that is possible, it would be to get us into bowl games that are against P5 schools. I believe we only have one game that has that? The rest are against G5 teams. I know bowls are worthless but it at least gives his League the chance to match up against the big boys and possibly beat them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Good for Aresco for speaking up and attempting to create the issue regarding selection.

I believe that Fresco is doing a reasonably good job "playing the cards dealt to him". My issue with the American is that there are too many irrelevant teams: Tulsa, ECU, Tulane, and SMU which detract from its strengths.

Single conference for football with the following schools is much more attractive.
UConn
Memphis
Houston
Navy
UCF
USF
Temple
Cincinnati

Likewise the above teams in a single basketball conference with Wichita State is a big time basketball conference.
You do realize that any of those schools could easily say the same thing about including UConn, right? We’ve been abysmal in football, more so than the teams you want to eliminate.

And before you say that we bring other big sports in, remember that SMU and Tulsa have been solid in basketball. ECU brings in fans that support their team and would travel to bowls. Tulane, I got nothing.....I don’t buy the whole New Orleans market business.

Reaction Score
One statement can be argued as possibly true.

One cannot.

I 100% disagree. The difference between a full Rent and a half full Rent is not just wins and losses. A full Rent will require not only a pretty good team, but a team that ESPN declares worth seeing. Perception is reality. College sports are the ultimate display of perception being reality.

In both football and basketball, ESPN determines who is good and who isn’t. ESPN routinely says teams with near .500 records are good because it fits their narrative. ESPN makes or breaks leagues and programs and they know it.

If you want the fans to come back, it takes more than wins, it takes ESPN endorsing us as worth watching. We have a fan base that is used to winning titles. Our casual fan wants to see games that matter. Our games won’t matter until ESPN proclaims so. It is sad, but totally true.

Reaction Score
Our games will not matter unless we get more ACC and B1G teams on our schedule even if it means giving 2 for 1’s to BC, SU, Pitt, PSU, Michigan, tOSU, etc.

zls44

Reaction Score
If you want the fans to come back, it takes more than wins, it takes ESPN endorsing us as worth watching.

Earn that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Earn that.

I know you work there and all, but we already have earned that. But we didn't get that. And now we're paying for not getting that...

Reaction Score
Clemson is a good/very good team. But when they beat #24 S. Carolina they won't have beaten a team as good as unranked South Florida. Another little resume builder for the committee.

zls44

Reaction Score
I know you work there and all, but we already have earned that. But we didn't get that. And now we're paying for not getting that...

When the hell did we earn it? 2010?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Clemson is a good/very good team. But when they beat #24 S. Carolina they won't have beaten a team as good as unranked South Florida. Another little resume builder for the committee.

Auburn?

NC State and Virginia Tech are better than South Florida too.

The ACC is light years better than the AAC.

Clemson beat Boston College who is one slot behind USF in the composite computer rankings going into this week. (Wake and Lousiville were ahead of USF who Clemson beat too).

So by the composite computer rankings going into this weekend - Clemson has 5 wins better than USF and is working on #6 with South Carolina.

But other than that - sure.

Reaction Score

Auburn?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
USF has no argument to be ranked.

They played one good team (UCF) - Lost
They played one decent team (Houston) - Lost

Their best win?

You can make the call between #71 Maryland, #80 Tulane or #81 Temple.

Yes that’s right. They beat one bowl eligible team. Temple. A team that lost at home to UConn.

How did mighty Temple get bowl eligible? They beat Villanova, UMass, East Carolina, Tulsa, Cincinnati and Navy.

Yet somehow UCF is validated by beating USF? Good gravy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
USF didn’t beat a team as good as:

North Texas
Troy
Army
Kentucky
Syracuse
Wyoming
Ohio
Marshall
Duke

Reaction Score
Auburn?

Clemson beat Boston College who is one slot behind USF in the composite computer rankings going into this week. (Wake and Lousiville were ahead of USF who Clemson beat too).

So by the composite computer rankings going into this weekend - Clemson has 5 wins better than USF and is working on #6 with South Carolina.

My point is that USF is better than South Carolina but it looks like Clemson got the better win this weekend vs UCF. Wasn't specific enough but thanks for debunking all those other things. Anyway we'll find out how good they are when they get to play Middle Tennessee in the Hale Bowl.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When the hell did we earn it? 2010?

Not just that, but the other bowl games we've played in and won, too. The narrative by ESPN, especially at the height of our climb of 2010, was always negative.

If you don't believe me, try to recall the stories that came out of the Fiesta. Like I said, I know they're your employer, so feel free to continue on with your stance...

Reaction Score
I 100% disagree. The difference between a full Rent and a half full Rent is not just wins and losses. A full Rent will require not only a pretty good team, but a team that ESPN declares worth seeing. Perception is reality. College sports are the ultimate display of perception being reality.

In both football and basketball, ESPN determines who is good and who isn’t. ESPN routinely says teams with near .500 records are good because it fits their narrative. ESPN makes or breaks leagues and programs and they know it.

If you want the fans to come back, it takes more than wins, it takes ESPN endorsing us as worth watching. We have a fan base that is used to winning titles. Our casual fan wants to see games that matter. Our games won’t matter until ESPN proclaims so. It is sad, but totally true.

Agree, but for another reason. High school recruits are fans of ESPN. They are also influenced by what they see and hear.

Reaction Score
Auburn?

The ACCis not light years better. It's better at the upper tier on most days. UCF can hang with any ACC team you put up bar none. USF and Memphis can hang with most, other than Clemson and Miami. You're spewing regurgitated pablum.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The ACCis not light years better. It's better at the upper tier on most days. UCF can hang with any ACC team you put up bar none. USF and Memphis can hang with most, other than Clemson and Miami. You're spewing regurgitated pablum.

Are we just going to pretend that the AAC doesn’t have a half dozen god awful teams?

Seriously I know people want something to be true - it’s not even close.

Reaction Score
bad take

Reaction Score

I have my reasons for disliking ESPN as much as anybody, but putting UCONN's Attendance issues on them is silly. They are not going to spend air time pumping up a team with a sub .500 record 5 out of the last 6 seasons. What could they possibly say? ESPN is a business, and The AAC as a whole is made up of schools with mostly small fickle fan bases. Not exactly a great group to be targeting. The blame ultimately has to fall on your administration for making terrible coaching hires that bottomed out a once promising program.

Being in The AAC isn't ideal, but it hasn't stopped other programs from competing at a high level. The key is consistently being able to make good hires. Coaching matters. Recruiting really matters. UCONN did neither well for half a decade and the product reflected it. You can say perception equals reality but when you are winning 4 games and recruiting below teams in Conference USA and The Sunbelt maybe it's time to point your fingers elsewhere than the media.

Reaction Score
The computers say that a team that lost to Troy is really good. Likewise one that lost to Ol Miss. oh and that Alabama and Miami and Miss State would all win this weekend.

Hey how’s about we go by computer rankings instead of playing actual games. Really cut down on injuries, too. Maybe tweeters thumb instead of concussions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The computers say that a team that lost to Troy is really good. Likewise one that lost to Ol Miss. oh and that Alabama and Miami and Miss State would all win this weekend.

Hey how’s about we go by computer rankings instead of playing actual games. Really cut down on injuries, too. Maybe tweeters thumb instead of concussions.

In case anyone wanted proof that this conversation was hopeless - here it is.

Remember one guy who watched .00001% of the action on the season is how the teams should be ranked.

You’d think you would have at least picked up on USF not being that good since they came to Rentschler and looked like complete garbage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom