Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco Unloads on CFB Playoff Committee & ESPN on Latest Rankings

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah they should eliminate strength of schedule and everyone should play 4 games against the Sun Belt.

You can tell the AAC is the same as the SEC or ACC because during the NFL draft they have similar numbers of players drafted at similar points in the draft.

Reaction Score
College football needs to be dismantled and forced to start all over again. Go back to regional conferences (8 conferences with 12 teams each), round robin schedules with the eight winners going to playoff format for the NC. One representative per conference - period.

Reaction Score
It’s all about the money! P5 will eventually be P4 with their own football playoff. G5 will still get RS games, mostly road games, against P5 (UConn at Clemson), but we’re not getting into the playoffs.

Reaction Score
The way college football is going, in a few years television will select Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama and Oklahoma in
August for that year's playoff. Michigan, Clemson, USC, Texas, Wisconsin, Oregon, et al would, of course, be given some consideration for an appearance.

Reaction Score
The CFB playoff was not setup to be fair. It was setup so only select teams from the P5 conferences can make it to the playoff. There are about 4 blue-blood teams from each P5 conference ( and ND) that have a legit shot to qualify for the playoff. CFB committee does not want random teams qualifying for the playoff. They only teams that will ever qualify for the CFB playoff will be blue-blood teams with large fan bases that travel in droves and will buy merchandise and tickets. Schools like BC, Cuse, Pitt could win a the ACC but would not be selected for the playoff. The committee would make sure those teams (non-blue bloods) were rated outside the top 4. The CFB playoff is working just the way the CFB powers want it to work.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the committee does such a bad job can someone give me a playoff that hasn’t had the right teams in it?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Let's be honest. This has been fixed since the split to the Big Five conferences for them to succeed and everyone else is an also ran. It sucks in plain English.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with what the CFB committee does. I know UConn will never play in the CFB playoff and I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal. I would just rather them play a good schedule and be competitive. Bowl games are more of a nusance anyway. They force the schools to buy “X” number of tickets, then all we hear about for weeks from the Courant is how many tickets UConn sold. Who needs it. I take going to the AAC championship game and then just end the season. The Bowl games are just money making schemes for some rich guys.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sure ignore the evidence. Like Wisconsin has been behind in the rankings because of their... gee I don’t know... schedule.

Do you think they don’t have the top 6 or so right? It’s bogus because UCF who has played no one isn’t where you think?

Listen Miss St got hammered twice this year and shouldn't be ahead of UCF or either USF or Memphis. It just shows that the system is rigged. Remember Miss St almost lost to UMass at home two weeks ago.

You don't know as much as you think either. You have a much higher opinion of yourself than others do that's for sure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Listen Miss St got hammered twice this year and shouldn't be ahead of UCF or either USF or Memphis. It just shows that the system is rigged. Remember Miss St almost lost to UMass at home two weeks ago.

You don't know as much as you think either. You have a much higher opinion of yourself than others do that's for sure.

Yes Bill: The composite computer rankings have Mississippi State at 15 and USF at 32.

Tell us some more about how I don’t know much but your opinion that USF should be ranked ahead of Miss St is valid because you like a team in the AAC.

Tell me some more about these ‘others’. Are they the ones who raved about how great Diaco was or how UConn was going bowling this year. They sound super knowledgable. Hopefully I can learn more from their infinite wisdom.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Yes Bill: The composite computer rankings have Mississippi State at 15 and USF at 32.

Tell us some more about how I don’t know much but your opinion that USF should be ranked ahead of Miss St is valid because you like a team in the AAC.

Tell me some more about these ‘others’. Are they the ones who raved about how great Diaco was or how UConn was going bowling this year. They sound super knowledgable. Hopefully I can learn more from their infinite wisdom.

Still, think they give way to much credence to the other teams they beat since none of them are even ranked. Numbers are only as good as those inputting them.

Outside of the win against LSU early in the year not one of their wins was against a top-notch team. Unbeaten is UCF is getting shafted, period. Mr. Sunshine

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Still, think they give way to much credence to the other teams they beat since none of them are even ranked. Numbers are only as good as those inputting them.

Outside of the win against LSU early in the year not one of their wins was against a top-notch team. Unbeaten is UCF is getting shafted, period. Mr. Sunshine

Every computer ranking is wrong.

You are right.

But I’m the one who is overconfident in my beliefs.

Reaction Score
The CFB playoff was not setup to be fair. It was setup so only select teams from the P5 conferences can make it to the playoff. There are about 4 blue-blood teams from each P5 conference ( and ND) that have a legit shot to qualify for the playoff. CFB committee does not want random teams qualifying for the playoff. They only teams that will ever qualify for the CFB playoff will be blue-blood teams with large fan bases that travel in droves and will buy merchandise and tickets. Schools like BC, Cuse, Pitt could win a the ACC but would not be selected for the playoff. The committee would make sure those teams (non-blue bloods) were rated outside the top 4. The CFB playoff is working just the way the CFB powers want it to work.

Disagree with your premise that only a select few teams can make the playoff. It's an inexact process, and there is definitely human bias involved, but I get no sense that the system is rigged. Sure some schools get the benefit of the doubt, but that benefit is earned by performance over time.

Last season non blue blood UH had a path to the playoff but completely s*** the bed when it mattered most. Wisconsin has a legit shot this year as long as they win out. Sorry but I don't buy the idea that UCF is a top 4 team this year. They are not beating Bama, Miami, Clemson, or OU. Assuming they don't stumble against Memphis in the title game they will earn a NY6 spot which based on their season will be well deserved.

Reaction Score
Well Mississippi State’s big win last night removes all doubt...oh wait...

Reaction Score
The real problem with the sos argument is that it is based mainly on assumptions since there is very little interconference play. There is certainly not enough to generate any statistically meaningful data. This year there were exactly 2 games between the big 10 and sec. Michigan beat Florida and Purdue beat Missouri. So you end up relying largely on the transitive property of football, tradition, and myth.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The real problem with the sos argument is that it is based mainly on assumptions since there is very little interconference play. There is certainly not enough to generate any statistically meaningful data. This year there were exactly 2 games between the big 10 and sec. Michigan beat Florida and Purdue beat Missouri. So you end up relying largely on the transitive property of football, tradition, and myth.

Yet every week hundreds of millions are wagered against lines that are ridiculously accurate.

It’s almost like people can measure how good teams are.

Also nobody said the polls was predictive and oh yeah Mississippi State’s excellent QB dislocated his ankle in the first quarter. Weird the poll doesnt take into account a true freshman back up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is anyone going to tell me which year to date they didn’t get the top 4 right or is the whole point of the crying just over 11th versus 15th?

Reaction Score
Most games are within conferences so sure, it’s relatively easy to evaluate teams within their leagues. Lots of comparisons.

Oh yeah and the #13 team in the nation couldn’t find a way to beat Ol Miss? The committee says they are the 13th best team in the country. Please.

Reaction Score
AAC went 4-11 against the P5 this year (Wins: Houston over AZ; Memphis over UCLA; UCF over MD and USF over ILL). Uconn had the best chance to make a statement against middle to lower half P5 teams with 3 games this year and ECU had two P5 games this year. Combined 0-5. Last year's Bowl, AAC went 1-1 against P5 teams (Temple lost to Wake and USF beath SC).

Want to be the P6? As a league, go .500 against the P5's on the schedule and win in bowl game matchups.

As for UCF this year, they beat MD (4-7) and their game vs GT was cancelled and never made up. The balance of their wins are AAC teams, FIU and Austin Peay. Their best win this year is probably Memphis. Rhey score lots of points and have a solid D. But how high can they really be ranked. Every team ranked over them has better wins. Win this week and win the CG, they will be inside the top 10 but they will not jump any 1 loss team and a few 2 loss teams.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Please, this is the same cartel beauty contest that we've always had. Who has Alabama beat? Their best win is against and 8-4 team that just lost to Ole Miss. Their only other top 25ish win was against LSU who until a couple weeks ago was talking about firing their coach. FSU stinks and the rest of their OOC wins are against Colorado St, Fresno St, and Mercer. Tenn, A&M, and Arkansas will all have new coaches next season. They are undefeated and pass the eye test but let's acknowledge that the SEC isn't that good. Auburn hung with Clemson and beat Georgia and Georgia beat ND. That is the extent of the SEC resume.

The committee should have an easy decision, take any undefeated teams and the next best conference champions assuming they are Oklahoma, ACC, SEC, BIG in that order but they have set this up to make sure the SEC/ACC runners up have a shot to steal a bid from another conference.

Reaction Score
Is anyone going to tell me which year to date they didn’t get the top 4 right or is the whole point of the crying just over 11th versus 15th?
You can make a case that the last few years they got the top 2 right. Top 4? I think you could make a pretty good case tha FSU in 2014, and the 3-4 seeds the past 2 years were over rated. I’m thinking the 3rd best team in the country might, you know, Score a point, against #2. I can’t recall who else was in the top 10 but seriously, would they have been worse? Heck Southern Connecticut could have put up a goose egg.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can make a case that the last few years they got the top 2 right. Top 4? I think you could make a pretty good case tha FSU in 2014, and the 3-4 seeds the past 2 years were over rated. I’m thinking the 3rd best team in the country might, you know, Score a point, against #2. I can’t recall who else was in the top 10 but seriously, would they have been worse? Heck Southern Connecticut could have put up a goose egg.

Yeah you don’t get to include the playoff outcomes in determining if they got the top 4 right or not.

‘Overrated’. Do you have an actual case to build for someone else based on their resume or are we going on your vague say so?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yeah you don’t get to include the playoff outcomes in determining if they got the top 4 right or not.

‘Overrated’. Do you have an actual case to build for someone else based on their resume or are we going on your vague say so?

Unless I missed it, the committee has yet to say what their objective is? Is it to find the four "best" teams? ..the four most deserving teams? ...or is it to find THE best team (singular)?

They used to talk about conference championships mattering a lot. That at least made some sense. Let the conferences self select their best team and all the committee had to do was pick the 4 best out of 6 (P5 + G5/Ind). It would be hard to screw that up. But last year they took the 3rd best team in the Big 10, a team that won neither it's division or it's conference in Ohio State because head to head didn't matter either but the number of losses mattered.

This year is shaping up to be all about the eye test. One of Miami/Clemson will lose which will set up to leave the P12 out if the rest of the CCG's hold serve. This would be the easiest decision. But if, Wisconsin loses to Ohio State then you will see everything thing done to justify a second SEC or ACC team, especially if Alabama or Miami loses this week.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless I missed it, the committee has yet to say what their objective is? Is it to find the four "best" teams? ..the four most deserving teams? ...or is it to find THE best team (singular)?

They used to talk about conference championships mattering a lot. That at least made some sense. Let the conferences self select their best team and all the committee had to do was pick the 4 best out of 6 (P5 + G5/Ind). It would be hard to screw that up. But last year they took the 3rd best team in the Big 10, a team that won neither it's division or it's conference in Ohio State because head to head didn't matter either but the number of losses mattered.

This year is shaping up to be all about the eye test. One of Miami/Clemson will lose which will set up to leave the P12 out if the rest of the CCG's hold serve. This would be the easiest decision. But if, Wisconsin loses to Ohio State then you will see everything thing done to justify a second SEC or ACC team, especially if Alabama or Miami loses this week.

So now you’ve decided what the committee is going to do based off results that haven’t happened yet and it’s going to be wrong.

Do you have an actual example of when they haven’t gotten the four right or is it just complaing for complaining’s sake?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom