Mike Anthony piece on Alterique | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony piece on Alterique

Reaction Score
Wow, one of the best takes on a misunderstood Husky. I have a new appreciation of what a great person we have had the pleasure to watch grow. I truly hope Al comes back for another year.

Reaction Score
Bravo, Mike Anthony, Bravo. Really heartwarming.

All UConn fans should read this article.

I would love for Alterique to play for a team next year where he can get 30+ minutes a game, preferably a team that specializes in transfers but plays in a conference with solid competition.

Nevada comes to mind:

*They are a respectable program in a good conference with an established culture of acquiring transfers
*Their two best point guards, Lindsey Drew and Jazz Johnson, are graduating
* They will have two scorers in Jalen Harris and Desmond Cambridge that can use a stabilizing pass-first PG like Alterique to feed them.

Reaction Score
Nice job by Mike Anthony. The article gives good insight on what has been a difficult journey for a young man who had to overcome personal issues, several injuries and a big change in leadership from Ollie to Hurley. Glad AG got to be coached by Hurley.

I hope AG finds a role here or elsewhere where he can flourish next season. He seems to be in a much better place now.

Reaction Score
I'm ashamed for any negative posts about AG I may have written. I think I limited criticism to on court play but knowing now what this kid has gone through I'm pretty disgusted with myself. I hope AG gives us a chance to show him the love he deserves from all of us.

Reaction Score
After reading Ben Gordon's a couple of weeks ago and now this I have the utmost respect for the 2 of them.

AG has been a warrior throughout his crazy career, but little did we know how much of one huh? Great read, the best to AG in whatever his decision is but would love to have him back for sure. Never in doubt from here.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Twitter trolls are a pathetic bunch. We can lose our minds over wins and losses, but let's keep things in perspective. These are kids and these are humans - we should always be supporting them. Let's go Al!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I recently read the Ben Gordon Player's Tribune article,” Gilbert said. “That was deep and that was powerful for, not just athletes, but people. But it was really special for me because, wow, that's what it looks like if you continue. That could have been ...”

Remember when people said Ben's essay probably saved lives?

Reaction Score
Dan went off back in November about Alterique and the people who were going after him. Some may still think his comments weren’t appropriate, but I’m glad this came out to at least give everyone some context. The article touches on it a little without going too in depth or giving all the details, but Dan is a very good and relatable coach for Alterique to have had. I’m glad, for both of them, that their basketball paths crossed and they got to know each other.

Reaction Score
Me personally I don’t want him going anywhere. Yeah we are starting to get better recruits, but we ain’t even over recruited him lol. He is a Husky, and I don’t wanna see him in nobody else uniform but ours. If it’s more beneficial for him to leave, ok then.

Reaction Score
One thing I found interesting was the comment about him leaving for more playing time and not going pro. If that's the case I hope he's back

Reaction Score
Many times we do not know what is going on behind the scenes - and as a result we get caught up in the passion of the games as they are happening and forget about the human side of things. We forget these are young men just out of high school, and the pressure on them to perform at a school like UConn is ENORMOUS.

Like all of you I remember being in college and having plenty of moments I would like to have back. That is why I try to never say anything bad about any of these young men beyond their play on the court. Ever.

I remember what it was like to go through a traumatic experience during my time in college and it took me almost 2 years to recover. And I didn't have the pressure of major college basketball or a scholarship or twitter trolls who don't even know me talking crap about me for the whole world to see.

Alterique, I wish you nothing but the best... now, and for the rest of your life. I hope you stay for next year, because your strength, perseverance and maturity embody so much of what we want our athletes as well as our entire UConn student body to emulate.

But if you do decide to move on because you feel that is what is best for you, I root for you wholeheartedly to experience all the success on the court and in life that you so richly deserve.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
2720bab6646e29da209429bb57ac1225--cover-art-social-work.jpg

Reaction Score
Wow like everyone else! What an article and what incredible strength from Alterique to persevere and still compete for and with the team. I too am embarrassed my any negative comments I have made. You can now see how the team has pulled together for each other and how it's affected their success. Also speaks highly of Hurley in his role as the teams leader.

Reaction Score
From comments I had heard second hand from someone who had a minor part of the program the love and respect Gilbert had from his teammates and coaches was almost unprecedented. It made it very hard to ignore the trashing he received from some on this board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom