Mike Anthony On The Diaco Flameout | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony On The Diaco Flameout

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
His jargon is insufferable. Regardless of the football product, I'm not sure I could have taken another year of Diaco-isms.
All he had to do was win 9-10 games a year and the fanbase would have eaten up his nonsense jargon.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Well - there was this now infamous press conf in August of season 1.

I had put that miserable press conference behind me. Key starter, starter, key backup.....uggh. I suffered key backup from watching this idiot destroy our beloved program.

Reaction Score
The all time worst may have been him defending his 4th & 18 attempt from the BC 20, down 7-0 with a freshman QB playing his 2nd game ever.

That, and he still didn't know what down it was on the last play of the Navy game.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Says Diaco lost the team after the Navy game and coached the kids on what to say to the media.

The players were under a lot of pressure re: their answers to the media. Diaco really did NOT like the media.
I knew it although I thought he lost them at halftime of the UCF game. What really pisses me off is that if he doesn't lose the team we win 7-8 games.

Reaction Score
Its all about perspective...

Harbaugh- Says and does crazy * but wins 10 games = Eccentric Genius

Diaco- Says and does crazy * but wins 3 games = Certifiably Insane
Stanford, San Francisco, Michigan. Harbaugh is a terrific, terrific head coach. Diaco is a complete 180.

Reaction Score
Stanford, San Francisco, Michigan. Harbaugh is a terrific, terrific head coach. Diaco is a complete 180.

180 in W/L? Absolutely. 180 on being completely bonkers in his words and actions? Nope.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Says Diaco lost the team after the Navy game and coached the kids on what to say to the media.

The players were under a lot of pressure re: their answers to the media. Diaco really did NOT like the media.
I spoke to some parents after the game they said the same thing and he was blaming everyone but the trainer

Reaction Score
Its all about perspective...

Harbaugh- Says and does crazy * but wins 10 games = Eccentric Genius

Diaco- Says and does crazy * but wins 3 games = Certifiably Insane
I'm cause results matter. I cannot imagine any scenario where Harbaugh completely coughs up a hairball like Diaco did at end of the Navy game.

That is just 1 example. The board can give you plenty. Treating real games like pre season games. Thanking a team that whooped you as a partner in getting better. Somehow, I can't picture Harbaugh saying THOSE things. Other crazy stuff sure, but Diaco was a special brand of crazy.

Reaction Score
Well - there was this now infamous press conf in August of season 1.

I bet 50 percent of the board one we were hit after this press conference. Bizzaro world.

Reaction Score
Diaco was crazy and incompetent as a head coach. In NCAA football you don't have to be a good coach to win six games once in three seasons.

This podcast isn't on ITunes so I have no use for it unfortunately. I just can't be bothered.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not to pile on because we've all had to work through things like this at some point in our lives (if we're honest with ourselves) but, I think Bob is right now working through the consequences of letting pride and greed get in the way of his better judgement. I think he lacks self confidence in that video. He was simply not ready to be a HC, at least not at this level.

Nor at any other level. He lives in his own little spectacularly insulated fantasy world. You can't do anything effectively if that's your entire frame of reference. He needs to be an assistant because he can't handle the bright lights and glare of the media, where all the responsibility is his.

Reaction Score
Nor at any other level. He lives in his own little spectacularly insulated fantasy world. You can't do anything effectively if that's your entire frame of reference. He needs to be an assistant because he can't handle the bright lights and glare of the media, where all the responsibility is his.
I think the real issue is he can't be a true executive, putting together the three phases, and on top that, seeing a game as a whole: momentum, positioning, time management, etc. He was just fine taking care of a single phase, which is still admirable (D1 head coaching clearly isn't for everyone).

Reaction Score
9 to 10?? He won 6 and most of us bought in
We actually had no choice but to buy in.... the powers that be at the time made the decision to hire his @**.... In 3 years we saw 0 growth...

Salute (once again) to Chief00 on calling his ousting a few weeks b4 it actually happened...

He needed to go...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I spoke to some parents after the game they said the same thing and he was blaming everyone but the trainer

How dare he involve himself in blame assessment? Everyone knows that important activity is the exclusive province of those who participate in this forum. He had no right to usurp Boneyard authority in that regard.

Reaction Score
The crucial thing is that he only won 11 games in 3 seasons though. If he had been 26-11 he would have been sort of whacky. I mean there's Sweeney forcing players to be baptized at a public university on the practice field and nobody makes too much of an issue. There's Harbaugh doing all sorts of bizzare stuff, there's Paterno hiring a pervert as his D.C. and keeping him on long after he knew, but they all won so nobody rocked the boat. Tom Caughlins idea of a family vacation was to go to A Red Sox game, 1, with his kids when he coached at BC Diaco wasn't nearly as bad crazy as Paterno but the big difference is he was a bad coach.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I saw an article yesterday about Tom Herman and a pee chart. Yes, you read that right.

LOOK: Texas urine color chart decides if you're a champion or selfish teammate

And then I thought about his whole kissing players before every game, and tucking his players in the night before games. I am starting to think that Herman is a more successful Diaco. He has the Diaco quirks, but seems to be a functional odd ball. After Diaco...I don't want another quirky coach. Should be interesting in Texas.

Reaction Score
The crucial thing is that he only won 11 games in 3 seasons though. If he had been 26-11 he would have been sort of whacky. I mean there's Sweeney forcing players to be baptized at a public university on the practice field and nobody makes too much of an issue. There's Harbaugh doing all sorts of bizzare stuff, there's Paterno hiring a pervert as his D.C. and keeping him on long after he knew, but they all won so nobody rocked the boat. Tom Caughlins idea of a family vacation was to go to A Red Sox game, 1, with his kids when he coached at BC Diaco wasn't nearly as bad crazy as Paterno but the big difference is he was a bad coach.

You're free to believe what ever you want, but what you're saying about Paterno here is simply wrong. He didn't knowingly hire a pervert in 1969 and keep him employed long after he knew. Why would Joe or anyone for that matter assume the risk of hiding a person like Jerry, when at the time of his hire he had zero track record of being an assistant coach?

The allegations of abuse relayed to him by Mcqueary didn't happen until 2002. Jerry retired in 1999. In that time span he was able to adopt 6 kids, foster others, and run a charity for disadvantaged youth. He was an alpha predator who fooled literally hundreds of intelligent, educated, and decent people for 30+ years. He was considered a pillar of the community by most, and this cover allowed him to commit his crimes. Calling Paterno bad crazy is way off the mark.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You're free to believe what ever you want, but what you're saying about Paterno here is simply wrong. He didn't knowingly hire a pervert in 1969 and keep him employed long after he knew. Why would Joe or anyone for that matter assume the risk of hiding a person like Jerry, when at the time of his hire he had zero track record of being an assistant coach?

The allegations of abuse relayed to him by Mcqueary didn't happen until 2002. Jerry retired in 1999. In that time span he was able to adopt 6 kids, foster others, and run a charity for disadvantaged youth. He was an alpha predator who fooled literally hundreds of intelligent, educated, and decent people for 30+ years. He was considered a pillar of the community by most, and this cover allowed him to commit his crimes. Calling Paterno bad crazy is way off the mark.

At the risk of turning this thread into a Pattern thread, PSU fans need to stop being defensive of Paterno. Paterno was letting Sandusky have access to the program right up until the last couple years he was coach. I know a former player who was shocked when he went back to campus during the height of these issues, and Sandusky was still on campus. He may not have been there as a coach, but he was still active with the program. If Paterno knew about the allegations, he shouldn't have kept contact with Sandusky.

As I said before....Paterno was old school and he is loyal to a fault. He didn't take a strong enough position on this situation and it bit him in the ass. Trying to defend him now is pointless considering the severity of the allegations. Let it go. No posting a defense on a message board is ever going to change people's minds. However you want to spin the timeline doesn't matter. Paterno was told about a crime and should have done more to address it. Everything else is hearsay and spin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom