Mike Anthony On The Diaco Flameout | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony On The Diaco Flameout

Reaction Score
For those who want to relive the HCBD era...

UConn Insider Podcast: Football Beat Writer Mike Anthony On The Diaco Flameout

>>In Part I of a two-part episode, Anthony shares some of his process for finding the heart of sports stories beyond the box score (6:00), dives into the Diaco debacle (9:30), pinpoints the moment when the 2016 Huskies lost their way (11:57) and breaks down the circumstances that allowed for the Randy Edsall redux (15:44).<<

Popcorn racoon.gif

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
For those who want to relive the HCBD era...

UConn Insider Podcast: Football Beat Writer Mike Anthony On The Diaco Flameout

>>In Part I of a two-part episode, Anthony shares some of his process for finding the heart of sports stories beyond the box score (6:00), dives into the Diaco debacle (9:30), pinpoints the moment when the 2016 Huskies lost their way (11:57) and breaks down the circumstances that allowed for the Randy Edsall redux (15:44).<<

View attachment 21265

I haven't read it yet. I gave you a "like" for the racoon... ;)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Says Diaco lost the team after the Navy game and coached the kids on what to say to the media.

The players were under a lot of pressure re: their answers to the media. Diaco really did NOT like the media.

Reaction Score
Says Diaco lost the team after the Navy game and coached the kids on what to say to the media.

The players were under a lot of pressure re: their answers to the media. Diaco really did NOT like the media.

That's the least surprising thing I've heard all week. He was obsessed with his image. I'd argue he cared more about image than results.

Reaction Score
That's the least surprising thing I've heard all week. He was obsessed with his image. I'd argue he cared more about image than results.

Ironically, that would have been just fine here if his offensive philosophy was a bit different. The same 11-26 record would have been embraced by a lot of posters here if we were losing while scoring 30+ points per game.

Most of Edsall's detractors downplay the results, because of his image.

Reaction Score
Ironically, that would have been just fine here if his offensive philosophy was a bit different. The same 11-26 record would have been embraced by a lot of posters here if we were losing while scoring 30+ points per game.

Most of Edsall's detractors downplay the results, because of his image.
I disagree with that bigly. I think Diaco had lost the fan base by the end of the season too. It wasn't just the offense. It was the awful record the head scratching decisions, the nonsensical comments. And the losing. There were many who wanted to give him 1 more year and a number who figured we were more or less stuck for another year but few who thought that 3-8 was acceptable.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I disagree with that bigly. I think Diaco had lost the fan base by the end of the season too. It wasn't just the offense. It was the awful record the head scratching decisions, the nonsensical comments. And the losing. There were many who wanted to give him 1 more year and a number who figured we were more or less stuck for another year but few who thought that 3-8 was acceptable.

You been hanging out with Donald?

Reaction Score
Beyond the normal coaches paranoia about the press, it's quite possible that the meanness with which the press treated Mante Teo's non-existent girlfriend may have influenced Diaco's attitude.
There had been rumblings during the entire time he was at ND that he was extremely difficult to deal with from the media's standpoint.

Reaction Score

Maybe, maybe not.

For years there have been a number of people here more concerned with our style over our results.

Reaction Score

In his opinion he thinks Diaco lost the team after the Navy game. He states he has no direct proof. Having said that, I think he may be right.

Reaction Score
Yep, vanity was his weakness and led to his downfall That is why he hired mediocre offensive coordinators and didn't want the guy who went to Rutgers. He wanted all the credit and did not want anyone else to steal the spotlight.

Reaction Score

Wow... Lost the team EARLY in the season... wow..

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And the whole Civil conflict situation... he was clearly agitated when asked about that.

The spine was bending downward vs. Syracuse and in hindsight, I'm surprised that UConn beat Cinci. However, the straw that finally broke my camel's back, in terms of defending Diaco was his reaction to UCF. He seemed to be flat out disengaged by then.

That said, Diaco is no longer coach. I'm still not full on board with Coach Edsall's return, but at least it seems he knows what he wants and how to achieve it. I'm moving on.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Is it just me or does he look like hell?
Not to pile on because we've all had to work through things like this at some point in our lives (if we're honest with ourselves) but, I think Bob is right now working through the consequences of letting pride and greed get in the way of his better judgement. I think he lacks self confidence in that video. He was simply not ready to be a HC, at least not at this level.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not to pile on because we've all had to work through things like this at some point in our lives (if we're honest with ourselves) but, I think Bob is right now working through the consequences of letting pride and greed get in the way of his better judgement. I think he lacks self confidence in that video. He was simply not ready to be a HC, at least not at this level.

Agreed. It almost sounds like he's trying to convince himself of what he's saying.

Reaction Score
In his opinion he thinks Diaco lost the team after the Navy game. He states he has no direct proof. Having said that, I think he may be right.
I totally agree, Navy got the ball rolling and rolling fast. From there, the Syracuse loss got it rolling even faster, and then things went spiraling out of control.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does he look like hell?
Not that this is necessarily and indicator of anything specific to his coaching, but it does seem that he's put on a little bit of weight. I'd noticed that during the season too. Nothing significant, but if you look at pictures of when he was hired here and during his first couple of years he's noticeably skinnier. Perhaps it's the stress of the job and the related consequences.

Reaction Score
Interesting Freudian mindset:

'Not that we all love the roles we are in...but can't help being excited by improvement.'

The man looks like a beaten hollowed out guy trying to convince himself he's happy.

Reaction Score
Agreed. It almost sounds like he's trying to convince himself of what he's saying.

Diaco has to be feeling the pressure of expectation being at a place like UNL. Their supporters expect success and are none to happy with the results of the last few years. They want to see a dominating Blackshirt Defense. Anything less will be unacceptable. He has to know this, and it can't feel great with his confidence level already shaken.

Uconn Fans and The CT Media gave Diaco and his nonsensical ramblings more than a fair shot. Coming off of a bad stretch with Pasqualoni they seemed willing to allow him a LONG rope in order to turn things around. That he eventually hung himself with said rope was completely his doing. Husker Fans were raised on the straight forward and to the point media style of Dr. Tom. I can't wait to see how fishcakes and Batman stories play in The Heartland. If I was him I'd hide the table leg. It looks like it would make a great torch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom