Mike Anthony: Hiring Jim Calhoun was a PR dream for St. Joseph. Now the reputation of the school and coach are damaged. | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Hiring Jim Calhoun was a PR dream for St. Joseph. Now the reputation of the school and coach are damaged.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is that these days you pay a compliment to a woman and you're on Twitter trial. I am not saying Jimmy C (nor that any man [or woman for that matter] should reportedly do stuff like this) did a good thing but in these days and times you have to be uber good.

Reaction Score
Certainly there is an aspect of clashing cultures and expectations from different eras here, but that simply doesn't excuse what is being alleged. What is alleged is more than just a "compliment" taken the wrong way (which would still be inappropriate in a workplace environment). Maintaining a workplace that treats everyone equally and with respect regardless of gender is nonnegotiable and frankly shouldn't be that difficult. Disappointing that it appears that wasn't the case under Calhoun's watch, and even more disappointing that he is accused of being directly involved in the behavior.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Certainly there is an aspect of clashing cultures and expectations from different eras here, but that simply doesn't excuse what is being alleged. What is alleged is more than just a "compliment" taken the wrong way (which would still be inappropriate in a workplace environment). Maintaining a workplace that treats everyone equally and with respect regardless of gender is nonnegotiable and frankly shouldn't be that difficult. Disappointing that it appears that wasn't the case under Calhoun's watch, and even more disappointing that he is accused of being directly involved in the behavior.
Yeah, respectfully, your rant was divorced from the conduct that was alleged and Calhoun’s response.

Anthony’s article is disappointing as it presumes fault before a tribunal has had the opportunity to hear the claims. That’s editorializing not reporting. It is every bit as inappropriate as an article which states that the plaintiff was looking to exploit smearing Calhoun and use his fame to extort an unwarranted settlement from St Joe’s. Given her chosen representation and their past practices, that is an equally likely characterization.

The case was reported when filed. Anthony bringing it up and representing it in a way that reflects negatively on Jim Calhoun in the University right before the start of the season smacks of opportunism and yellow journalism. I’ve lost some respect for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a person who was fired because the school got serious about athletics for the first time and she couldn't keep up. Why do I think that? Because she threw a whole bunch of c*** on the wall hoping some of it would stick. She wasn't invited golfing with the guys who have beem friends for over 30 years, she had to share an office. There is a 0% chance Calhoun called her "hot." Give me a duck*** break.

Shame on Mike Anthony, I thought he was better than some other guy Jacobs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ok Captain Rush to Judgement. I'm glad I don't know many people like you.

Reaction Score
This is a person who was fired because the school got serious about athletics for the first time and she couldn't keep up. Why do I think that? Because she threw a whole bunch of c*** on the wall hoping some of it would stick. She wasn't invited golfing with the guys who have beem friends for over 30 years, she had to share an office. There is a 0% chance Calhoun called her "hot." Give me a duck*** break.

Shame on Mike Anthony, I thought he was better than some other guy Jacobs.
Amen

Reaction Score
I've been told I should simply Dislike, so I'll just add that I'm glad I still Ignore you when I read something like this. If anyone else wants more, I'll honor the request.
Please expand, this thread is filled with people who are out of touch

Reaction Score
Yeah, respectfully, your rant was divorced from the conduct that was alleged and Calhoun’s response.

Anthony’s article is disappointing as it presumes fault before a tribunal is had the opportunity to hear the claims. That’s editorializing not reporting. It is every bit as inappropriate as an article which states that the plaintiff was looking to exploit smearing Calhoun and use her fame to extort an unwarranted settlement from St Joe’s. Given her chosen representation in their past practices that is an equally outcome.

The case was reported with filed. Anthony bringing it up and representing it in a way that reflects negatively on Jim Calhoun in the University right before the start of the season smacks of opportunism and yellow journalism. I’ve lost some respect for him.
THAT was a rant? Lol ok... Obviously, obviously if he and Miller are innocent, and the claims are without merit, then there's nothing here! That's so obvious it should go without saying. I used "alleged" like 4 times just to be extra clear.

CL82

Reaction Score
THAT was a rant? Lol ok... Obviously, obviously if he and Miller are innocent, and the claims are without merit, then there's nothing here! That's so obvious it should go without saying. I used "alleged" like 4 times just to be extra clear.
Yep, all preachy based on insufficient information. Here’s a suggestion, wait until Saint Joe’s files its answer to her complaint. Once you have both sides of the story you may be in a better position to make an informed decision... or at least your uninformed decision won’t be premature.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there any proof he actually said this? Is there anyone to corroborate her story? I have not read as much as others but from what I have seen, it seems that no. Because otherwise, it is just a he said/she said scenario that really, honestly, should just go away.

"If true...." - Oh, I see, so no proof. Two most important words in that article IMO. So, this does seem to be hearsay.

"I have no trouble believing..." And the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th most important words in this article, that he repeats three times, shows not just a clear pattern on the writer's part, but clearly some personal bias, real great journalism.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Without getting into the bigger debate, you have to admit saying "I'd swipe left." is pretty comical.
With proper comic timing, it's a quality line. But it might also be costly, depending on how things play out.

The vehemence of those claiming this matter is "nonsense" and branding people with exaggerated labels is a decent indication of the threat felt by some. Yeah, ya can't just say, "Get outta here" anymore. And there are actually people here who will remind you of that if you try. In response, some, in effect, are whining, "It's getting so a guy can't criticize or dismiss someone without somebody complaining." If you're gonna dish it out, expect to have to take it in return. Anything less, and your fragility is on display.

In some settings, you might expose yourself to a legal complaint and the need to mount a defense. The charge might be weak, even ultimately baseless, but blowing people off isn't a realistic option. Consult a legal professional if you doubt this.

On a message board it might work to talk tough & take no prisoners, or maybe not so much. Many of the aggrieved in this thread should just suck it up. Or melt without recourse.

Besides, does anyone here know enough about what really happened to speak with such certainty? I surely don't.

I like JC's comment. It tips his hand, offers a human framing and context, and thereby provides an opening to settle the dispute. Lots of comments here fall far short of that.

Anthony's column has an appropriate measure equivocation, while still seeking to sell newspapers and get clicks. What was here labeled a "rant" provided similar equivocation, and yet (if one were to mute the word "rant"), one could see that a legitimate complaint about the timing & tone of Anthony's column was registered.

To my eyes, those who would call BS on the entire matter seem more to have jumped to conclusions. Those who can imagine that there might be something to address (including those who recognize that there's no option to ignore) display greater patience.

Whether they have claimed that it bothered them or not, all attractive woman I know would agree that they have been impolitely-treated by men with unfortunate regularity. That terming is intentionally mild. Many-to-most women would claim much worse. And women who aren't generally considered attractive haven't been completely spared in the matter. Ask your spouse, significant other, sisters, daughters, mothers, etc.

It's likely that some situations are overstated and that some misunderstandings could be cleared up short of legal filings. Most matters like this take advantage of opportunities to settle. I don't know if that's applicable in this case, but again, I find it dismaying that several here write with such authority based on so little information.

I'm skeptical that what I've written here would qualify as "chastising," and I stand firm in my dislike of an out-of-the-box claim that the legal complaint is "garbage from a snowflake." It's not only too conclusive a statement based on nothing, it's also rude language that's generally used to rally support in order to deepen criticism rather than improve the situation.

CL82

Reaction Score
Without getting into the bigger debate, you have to admit saying "I'd swipe left." is pretty comical.
Don't leave out the last the word of the quote. It's "I'd swipe left too." Implying that he was engaged in conversation with the plaintiff is which she told him about others "swiping left." In that context, does his reply constitute sexual discrimination or harassment?

That said, saying Miller is socially awkward is like saying water is wet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom