Mike Anthony: Hiring Jim Calhoun was a PR dream for St. Joseph. Now the reputation of the school and coach are damaged. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: Hiring Jim Calhoun was a PR dream for St. Joseph. Now the reputation of the school and coach are damaged.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So much of what was alleged was so unbelievable that i have trouble giving credence to any of it. I’m sorry if this woman was truly hurt by something. But this isn’t the right way to address it.

Reaction Score
With proper comic timing, it's a quality line. But it might also be costly, depending on how things play out.

The vehemence of those claiming this matter is "nonsense" and branding people with exaggerated labels is a decent indication of the threat felt by some. Yeah, ya can't just say, "Get outta here" anymore. And there are actually people here who will remind you of that if you try. In response, some, in effect, are whining, "It's getting so a guy can't criticize or dismiss someone without somebody complaining." If you're gonna dish it out, expect to have to take it in return. Anything less, and your fragility is on display.

In some settings, you might expose yourself to a legal complaint and the need to mount a defense. The charge might be weak, even ultimately baseless, but blowing people off isn't a realistic option. Consult a legal professional if you doubt this.

On a message board it might work to talk tough & take no prisoners, or maybe not so much. Many of the aggrieved in this thread should just suck it up. Or melt without recourse.

Besides, does anyone here know enough about what really happened to speak with such certainty? I surely don't.

I like JC's comment. It tips his hand, offers a human framing and context, and thereby provides an opening to settle the dispute. Lots of comments here fall far short of that.

Anthony's column has an appropriate measure equivocation, while still seeking to sell newspapers and get clicks. What was here labeled a "rant" provided similar equivocation, and yet (if one were to mute the word "rant"), one could see that a legitimate complaint about the timing & tone of Anthony's column was registered.

To my eyes, those who would call BS on the entire matter seem more to have jumped to conclusions. Those who can imagine that there might be something to address (including those who recognize that there's no option to ignore) display greater patience.

Whether they have claimed that it bothered them or not, all attractive woman I know would agree that they have been impolitely-treated by men with unfortunate regularity. That terming is intentionally mild. Many-to-most women would claim much worse. And women who aren't generally considered attractive haven't been completely spared in the matter. Ask your spouse, significant other, sisters, daughters, mothers, etc.

It's likely that some situations are overstated and that some misunderstandings could be cleared up short of legal filings. Most matters like this take advantage of opportunities to settle. I don't know if that's applicable in this case, but again, I find it dismaying that several here write with such authority based on so little information.

I'm skeptical that what I've written here would qualify as "chastising," and I stand firm in my dislike of an out-of-the-box claim that the legal complaint is "garbage from a snowflake." It's not only too conclusive a statement based on nothing, it's also rude language that's generally used to rally support in order to deepen criticism rather than improve the situation.
Spare me the high and mighty soy boy bs! You have women nowadays running amok calling everything harassment to the point that a lot of men are refusing to even deal with women in the work place without some type of supervision. The pendulum has swung way too far and decent men are sick of it! Yeah I use rude language because im tired of it. This does more harm to women who have legitimate grievances when women are out there constantly making accusations over the smallest of perceived offenses.
I dont blow it off because its a woman I blow it off when I read the story and I see yet another woman making a mountain out of a mole hill because she isnt getting the respect or attention she feels she deserves because apparently she sucks at her job.

Reaction Score
Even money this is resentment over going coed and selling out to hire a big time sports coach. If this were a thing with these guys, we'd have heard about it a long time ago.
Yup. JC has worked for decades in the sport and has come across many women in that time and suddenly hes this monster who harasses women. I cant believe there's "men" defending this garbage. I wont make another comment as I do enjoy discussing BASKETBALL here and not this other stuff.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is a 'prove it' case. This isn't some run of the mill workplace accusation about the guy everyone knows is a creep. This is going after a public figure with a 40 year track record. If she accused JC of cursing her out, there would be no need for an investigation, no one would doubt her.

The context of this raises a whole host of questions, so anyone taking the traditional position is out of line. False HR allegations are made all the time because there are plenty of low EQ, entitled, manipulative, cry me a river people in the workplace and they don't usually wear signs letting you know.

If she has evidence to support her allegation, show it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Wait, are you calling our wives, girlfriends, sisters, daughters and mothers unattractive?

Where is the ombudsman? I am deeply offended!!!

Yeah, I could have made it clearer that nearly any woman, attractive or unattractive, can attest to the prevalence of 'poor behavior.'

Go ahead and sue me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, I could have made it clearer that nearly any woman, attractive or unattractive, can attest to the prevalence of 'poor behavior.'

Go ahead and sue me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Spare me the high and mighty soy boy bs! You have women nowadays running amok calling everything harassment to the point that a lot of men are refusing to even deal with women in the work place without some type of supervision. The pendulum has swung way too far and decent men are sick of it! Yeah I use rude language because im tired of it. This does more harm to women who have legitimate grievances when women are out there constantly making accusations over the smallest of perceived offenses.
I dont blow it off because its a woman I blow it off when I read the story and I see yet another woman making a mountain out of a mole hill because she isnt getting the respect or attention she feels she deserves because apparently she sucks at her job.

"You're really cute when you're angry"

OR

"You should smile more."

(I can't decide)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Calhoun is a tough Irish S.O.B.

In today's "the-first-to -offended-wins" society, he's is an easy target for the political correct snowflakes. I hope he counter sues.
For what?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
30 years ago this situation would be a Nielson top 5 sitcom.

Tony little school hires big time Athletics person and cultures clash.

Put me squarely in the round peg in a square hole fit. Mostly this goes to president and AD if not sitting everyone down and setting expectations. You have firmly entenched existing employees who made some level of professional accomplishments at the D3 level and two coaches who experienced the Pinnacle of athletic achievement at the highest level. And people are surprised if differences of expectations? Okay.

Expectations for existing staff in terms of resource allocations (office space, privacy) and expectations of new hires (This ain't UConn boys).

Does anyone think there wouldn't be awkward occurrences if Geno went to a D3 school? If any major D1 basketball coach went to a D3 school? If Muffett left ND and coached D3?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is a 'prove it' case. This isn't some run of the mill workplace accusation about the guy everyone knows is a creep. This is going after a public figure with a 40 year track record. If she accused JC of cursing her out, there would be no need for an investigation, no one would doubt her.

The context of this raises a whole host of questions, so anyone taking the traditional position is out of line. False HR allegations are made all the time because there are plenty of low EQ, entitled, manipulative, cry me a river people in the workplace and they don't usually wear signs letting you know.

If she has evidence to support her allegation, show it.
Definitely.

I recall being less than impressed by the Complaint. And I can imagine that JC's large personality might not port seamlessly to the D3 setting.

C

Chief00

This is a person who was fired because the school got serious about athletics for the first time and she couldn't keep up. Why do I think that? Because she threw a whole bunch of c*** on the wall hoping some of it would stick. She wasn't invited golfing with the guys who have beem friends for over 30 years, she had to share an office. There is a 0% chance Calhoun called her "hot." Give me a duck*** break.

Shame on Mike Anthony, I thought he was better than some other guy Jacobs.
Exactly right, she got fired ironically for dropping the ball on Title IX compliance administration. She set the women’s movement back not Jim. Whatever Jim did or didn’t do had nothing to do with it. His name was thrown into the complaint to give it attention and Anthony was a sucker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Interesting listen. It comes from the height of my, "The only post-Beatles solo work worth listening to is 'McCartney," 'All Things Must Pass,' 'Plastic Ono Band,' and 'Imagine'" period, when slide guitar came best from Bonnie Raitt, Ry Cooder, Lowell George, and (at the time surprisingly) Dickie Betts.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So much of what was alleged was so unbelievable that i have trouble giving credence to any of it. I’m sorry if this woman was truly hurt by something. But this isn’t the right way to address it.

The law requires an actionable cause, right? Sometimes it's an awkward tool. I might look askance at a lot of what's alleged, but something foundationed on a lack of respect isn't usually best dealt with by more of it. I'd imagine JC and his counsel know this more than some of the posters here.

Subcontext of >90% (mediated) disputes:

"You dissed me."

"No, YOU dissed ME."

I wouldn't be surprised if Calhoun's the outlier:

"I dissed you? Nah, I do that to everybody."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Exactly right, she got fired ironically for dropping the ball on Title IX compliance administration. She set the women’s movement back not Jim. Whatever Jim did or didn’t do had nothing to do with it. His name was thrown into the complaint to give it attention and Anthony was a sucker.
Plausible... though also plausible that enough of the alleged behaviors were more true than not to allow the matter to receive more than just attention in the media.

Neither cancels the other out as completely as some here might like.

Reaction Score
The fame, personality, and drive Calhoun has, paired with bringing all of his male staff to what was recently an all-girls school......this was just waiting to happen.

I'm playing Sweden on this one but for this reason I'm not surprised it happened.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Interesting listen. It comes from the height of my, "The only post-Beatles solo work worth listening to is 'McCartney," 'All Things Must Pass,' 'Plastic Ono Band,' and 'Imagine'" period, when slide guitar came best from Bonnie Raitt, Ry Cooder, Lowell George, and (at the time surprisingly) Dickie Betts.
Except for the single "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)," I never loved the Living in the Material World album, but "Sue Me, Sue You Blues" was worth the listen for me nonetheless as an essential part of the "former Beatles singing about other former Beatles" collection of songs, which included some fine selections from the albums you mention, i.e., Paul's "Too Many People" and John's "How Do You Sleep?"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Except for the single "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)," I never loved the Living in the Material World album, but "Sue Me, Sue You Blues" was worth the listen for me nonetheless as an essential part of the "former Beatles singing about other former Beatles" collection of songs, which included some fine selections from the albums you mention, i.e., Paul's "Too Many People" and John's "How Do You Sleep?"
Yes, and I always appreciate how you come at these with a different historical perspective, including having older siblings in addition to our age difference. A few years ago, a good friend, slightly younger, got me to listen to RAM again, and I didn't hate it (as I had when brand new), and could see its merits.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, and I always appreciate how you come at these with a different historical perspective, including having older siblings in addition to our age difference. A few years ago, a good friend, slightly younger, got me to listen to RAM again, and I didn't hate it (as I had when brand new), and could see its merits.
Ah yes, Ram, not McCartney. I got them both at the same time so they are kind of "of a piece" in my mind, and I frequently confuse which songs are on which.

Reaction Score
With proper comic timing, it's a quality line. But it might also be costly, depending on how things play out.

The vehemence of those claiming this matter is "nonsense" and branding people with exaggerated labels is a decent indication of the threat felt by some. Yeah, ya can't just say, "Get outta here" anymore. And there are actually people here who will remind you of that if you try. In response, some, in effect, are whining, "It's getting so a guy can't criticize or dismiss someone without somebody complaining." If you're gonna dish it out, expect to have to take it in return. Anything less, and your fragility is on display.

In some settings, you might expose yourself to a legal complaint and the need to mount a defense. The charge might be weak, even ultimately baseless, but blowing people off isn't a realistic option. Consult a legal professional if you doubt this.

On a message board it might work to talk tough & take no prisoners, or maybe not so much. Many of the aggrieved in this thread should just suck it up. Or melt without recourse.

Besides, does anyone here know enough about what really happened to speak with such certainty? I surely don't.

I like JC's comment. It tips his hand, offers a human framing and context, and thereby provides an opening to settle the dispute. Lots of comments here fall far short of that.

Anthony's column has an appropriate measure equivocation, while still seeking to sell newspapers and get clicks. What was here labeled a "rant" provided similar equivocation, and yet (if one were to mute the word "rant"), one could see that a legitimate complaint about the timing & tone of Anthony's column was registered.

To my eyes, those who would call BS on the entire matter seem more to have jumped to conclusions. Those who can imagine that there might be something to address (including those who recognize that there's no option to ignore) display greater patience.

Whether they have claimed that it bothered them or not, all attractive woman I know would agree that they have been impolitely-treated by men with unfortunate regularity. That terming is intentionally mild. Many-to-most women would claim much worse. And women who aren't generally considered attractive haven't been completely spared in the matter. Ask your spouse, significant other, sisters, daughters, mothers, etc.

It's likely that some situations are overstated and that some misunderstandings could be cleared up short of legal filings. Most matters like this take advantage of opportunities to settle. I don't know if that's applicable in this case, but again, I find it dismaying that several here write with such authority based on so little information.

I'm skeptical that what I've written here would qualify as "chastising," and I stand firm in my dislike of an out-of-the-box claim that the legal complaint is "garbage from a snowflake." It's not only too conclusive a statement based on nothing, it's also rude language that's generally used to rally support in order to deepen criticism rather than improve the situation.

The position Anthony takes is the key. The school was advised of the complaint and it appears they may have taken a dismissive approach. That is on them. In a corporate culture, these situations need to be vetted, and from here it appears they MAY have dropped the ball. That is the key. I will not assume guilt on JC's part or GM. But having seen the way women are treated in the workplace on an every day basis. I would not be even slightly surprised by a decision siding with the plaintiff. All the "this has gotten out of hand" comments are the real problem. We want to blame the victim.

Reaction Score
The position Anthony takes is the key. The school was advised of the complaint and it appears they may have taken a dismissive approach. That is on them. In a corporate culture, these situations need to be vetted, and from here it appears they MAY have dropped the ball. That is the key. I will not assume guilt on JC's part or GM. But having seen the way women are treated in the workplace on an every day basis. I would not be even slightly surprised by a decision siding with the plaintiff. All the "this has gotten out of hand" comments are the real problem. We want to blame the victim.
The problem is we have no idea if she's a victim, we don't know who the victim is here...My guess is she's not, I think her job changed when the school got serious about sports and she wasn't up for it and got fired. I can see her not feeling like she fit in with the new guys and maybe they could have done a better job with that but the complaint looks desperate to me...like she's throwing anything out there she could come up with in hopes of having something stick.

Calhoun has been in the public eye for over 40 years and never a whiff of this stuff and the idea of Calhoun calling her "hot" is just ridiculous.

Reaction Score

It's not just blaming the self alleged victim. The 'yard has also taken liberties to assume that she wasn't good at her job, wasn't in to it, dropped the ball and couldn't keep up.

Reaction Score
It's not just blaming the self alleged victim. The 'yard has also taken liberties to assume that she wasn't good at her job, wasn't in to it, dropped the ball and couldn't keep up.
I gave why I think she was fired, why do you think she was fired?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom