Mikayla Coombs? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs?

Reaction Score
I think Coombs will be the break out bench player this year.

nope..............................apparently from what others have observed she can't shoot and she can't get low enough to be a good defender...................next!!!!!!!;);););)

Reaction Score
if she is so flawed can you explain exactly why she was rated the #13 player and the #2 guard in the country by ESPN and exactly why she was recruited by UConn in the first place?

I prefer this early assessment of her game:

Athletic combo-guard creates, elevates in mid-range game; dribble-drive attack draws contact, finishes to rim; scorer's mentality delivers with consistency. (Olson)

There is no doubt that we are simply fans, watching from a great distance. It is not the coaches saying these things.....they would likely say that "we have no idea." But that is what fans do. I would love for Mikayla to develop into the second ranked guard in all of division I NCAA women's basketball. But I see what I see.

In my assessment, I totally concur with the statement, " dribble -drive attack draws contact, finishes to rim; scorer's mentality " She will score lay-ups from offense and defense. My concern is her outside shot.

Her history in high school is no longer very relevant. She has been here for a year....really only a partial year, due to illness. And in those days, while she was active, she was pretty much as described. Look at her numbers. Though a small sample.. But she didn't play much for a reason....determined by the coaches.

When she is on the court, pay close attention to the structure and launch angle of her shot, if she gets free for a three. I promise it will not go in.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that we are simply fans, watching from a great distance. It is not the coaches saying these things.....they would likely say that "we have no idea." But that is what fans do. I would love for Mikayla to develop into the second ranked guard in all of division I NCAA women's basketball. But I see what I see.

In my assessment, I totally concur with the statement, " dribble -drive attack draws contact, finishes to rim; scorer's mentality " She will score lay-ups from offense and defense. My concern is her outside shot.

Her history in high school is no longer very relevant. She has been here for a year....really only a partial year, due to illness. And in those days, while she was active, she was pretty much as described. Look at her numbers. Though a small sample.. But she didn't play much for a reason....determined by the coaches.

When she is on the court, pay close attention to the structure and launch angle of her shot, if she gets free for a three. I promise it will not go in.

I agree that her shot is far from textbook................I assume that if we all have noticed it the coaches have too....................you would think they would be working to fix it....................it's certainly not too late to do that...................as a follower of the great shot doctor Herb Magee who has worked with countless college and NBA players, anybody can markedly improve their shooting with repetition and the right instruction............if you don't believe that check his videos or better yet attend one of his camps.............he completely transformed my daughter's shot in 45 minutes and with practice she has become a far better shooter ever since........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
so I take it that you're in agreement with the poster who said her recruitment was a mistake? That's a shame, I think she still has a chance to be a nice piece of the puzzle if she can hang in there...
Nope! Mikayla has three seasons of eligibility remaining. As I have stated before: Mikayla controls her own destiny. Mikayla has the athleticism to make a contribution at UCONN.

Reaction Score
I agree that her shot is far from textbook......I assume that if we all have noticed it the coaches have too.....you would think they would be working to fix it.....it's certainly not too late to do that....as a follower of the great shot doctor Herb Magee who has worked with countless college and NBA players, anybody can markedly improve their shooting with repetition and the right instruction..if you don't believe that check his videos or better yet attend one of his camps...he completely transformed my daughter's shot in 45 minutes and with practice she has become a far better shooter ever since...
I agree. But we saw no signs of any attempt to modify her outside shot in year I. When she plays against that mutual fund, on Sunday, maybe she'll get "open threes" and we can see how she has adjusted.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mikayla was reportedly “running and working on her shot” this summer before she was fully cleared.

Ketia Swanier was transformed from a questionable to a competent shooter while at UConn. It’s possible for Mikayla too.

Reaction Score
I agree. But we saw no signs of any attempt to modify her outside shot in year I. When she plays against that mutual fund, on Sunday, maybe she'll get "open threes" and we can see how she has adjusted.

ahhhh...........I had to think about that for a minute............I do hope Ms Boston and Ms Jones show some Fidelity to UConn...................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom