Mikayla Coombs? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
say what you want about Rutgers... I never thought that at this late date CViv could actually out recruit Geno....the fact that it's even possible for 2019 is not a pleasant thought...
LoL!

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
I do have "this" market cornered. Here are the facts which make you so...wrong: 1) UCONN bench last year consisted of not only Megan Walker but also Azura Stevens. If KLS needed a breather Azura would have been the one to provide it as she did all season long. 2) No other NCAA team had a player of the quality of Azura Stevens coming off the bench last year=6th player picked in WNBA draft.

I said forgetting about the rest of the bench.................I already know that Geno mishandled Azura's playing time in that game..............

Reaction Score
did I ever say I wasn't a Geno fan? I'm only aware of one entity that is infallible although I do wonder sometimes when I read some of the posts about Geno here......

I didn't say he was infallible. But practice performance is at the foundation of his coaching philosophy. So if you're still waiting for that to change , be prepared to be disappointed.

Reaction Score
Comparable size & quickness for sure. Banks was a better shooter (50% as a Freshmen) and had much better defensive techniques than I have seen from Mikayla thus far. Specifically Mikayla is too upright in her defensive stance and that impacts her ability to move laterally defensively. Banks had no problem getting low which is where you want to be. Banks also played meaningful minutes as a freshmen guard on a team that included Bria Hartley, Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty & Tiffany Hayes.
Good call. Having a combination of an awkward and inconsistent outside shot and poor defensive techniques does not normally gain minutes for those on a Geno team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can reliably say Mikayla did not excel because I watch very closely and chart every game. She got plenty of chances. For example, Mikayla was given 1/2 half minutes against Memphis to work with 4 of the starters and was awful. UCONN was up by 20 points when she came into the game. She started off well rebound & assist but then things turned quickly. In this video sequence (6:55 -2:00 Q2) you can see 1) Foul at the basket because she was late on a rotation 2) turn over, 3) air ball on corner three, 4) getting beat down court on defense as well as 5) compounding getting beat by fouling again. You can also see Geno with his head down in disbelief during her play followed by a long "talking" to after she came out of the game. Sorry but if Mikayla can't play well against Memphis with 4 other starters on the floor what is Geno supposed to do. give her more chances?

I don’t disagree with your analysis, but I have to wonder just how badly, and how long, Mikayla was impacted by DVT, before finally being diagnosed and put on the shelf prior to the Big Dance. Everything I’ve read about DVT indicates that the condition gradually develops over a long period of time and can be both painful and exhausting. I am hoping that a healthy Mikayla can play like the young lady who impressed all of us in the McD AA game in 2017.

Reaction Score
I didn't say he was infallible. But practice performance is at the foundation of his coaching philosophy. So if you're still waiting for that to change , be prepared to be disappointed.

I was more referring to your question about which coach I am a fan of................just because I don't always agree with his style/tactics regarding player management doesn't mean that I don't think he's a great coach...............as far as other coaches...............grudgingly, MM's job to keep that ND team together through their multitude of injuries, ultimately winning the NC was about as good as it gets as far as coaching is concerned

Reaction Score
Because of her speed I'd be happy if, in Geno's offense, Mikayla made pull up 2's and open looks inside the arc; and yeah, open corner 3's. Any 3's made anywhere else would be a bonus. Of course, excellent on ball defense, ball protection, some game management and good ball movement will get her on the court anyway. Geno knows this team will need a guard off the bench.

sorry Jordy............... the kid just doesn't have what it takes............:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with your analysis, but I have to wonder just how badly, and how long, Mikayla was impacted by DVT, before finally being diagnosed and put on the shelf prior to the Big Dance. Everything I’ve read about DVT indicates that the condition gradually develops over a long period of time and can be both painful and exhausting. I am hoping that a healthy Mikayla can play like the young lady who impressed all of us in the McD AA game in 2017.
Entirely possible that the DVT was impacting her but Mikayla recovered from this Memphis game to play her best stretch of basketball during conference play. During this time Geno tried a strategy of having at least two starters on the floor with Lexi, Mikayla, or Megan. It was also at this time that Megan's game began to suffer-in conference play against lesser competition.

Reaction Score
I was more referring to your question about which coach I am a fan of......just because I don't always agree with his style/tactics regarding player management doesn't mean that I don't think he's a great coach.....as far as other coaches.....grudgingly, MM's job to keep that ND team together through their multitude of injuries, ultimately winning the NC was about as good as it gets as far as coaching is concerned

You missed the point.

If you're expecting Geno to play folks who don't perform in practice then you haven't been paying attention for any of his 30+ years. You might as well complain that he should have purple hair.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You missed the point.
If you're expecting Geno to play folks who don't perform in practice then you haven't been paying attention for any of his 30+ years. You might as well complain that he should have purple hair.
The same is true of @Charliebball "pleading" to:
it's already too late now but as I've pleaded over and over again.....please offer a couple more really good players.........if Boston and Jones end up elsewhere and you are already losing KLS and NC, you're now beyond thin.....your down right anorexic....:(
Not gonna happen!

Reaction Score
The same is true of @Charliebball "pleading" to:

Not gonna happen!

well a couple of substandard recruiting years might just bring about some subtle change...................national championships aren't going to happen without great players no matter how great a coach Geno is........

Reaction Score
You missed the point.

oh no I've heard it all many times..................I'm not privy to the UConn practices so I have no idea how well any of the players are performing...................what happens if you play well in practice but don't perform well in games? Do you still get to play? How about if the opposite holds true?....................and don't worry, I'm going to start working on the purple hair issue next season.......

Reaction Score
oh no I've heard it all many times...I'm not privy to the UConn practices so I have no idea how well any of the players are performing....what happens if you play well in practice but don't perform well in games? Do you still get to play? How about if the opposite holds true?.....and don't worry, I'm going to start working on the purple hair issue next season..

sometimes I wonder if a player does not practice well, is it all on the player, or are the coaches partly to blame. As an analogy, I know there are some teachers who prefer to teach really good students and don't bring the best out of average students.

Reaction Score
sometimes I wonder if a player does not practice well, is it all on the player, or are the coaches partly to blame. As an analogy, I know there are some teachers who prefer to teach really good students and don't bring the best out of average students.

well I'm sure for the usual suspects on here it's all on the player but I'm of the belief that the responsibility is shared between the two, especially when the coaching staff hand picked the player.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
well a couple of substandard recruiting years might just bring about some subtle change....national championships aren't going to happen without great players no matter how great a coach Geno is...
Be sure to let us know when UCONN has a "couple" of substandard recruiting years. Until then you'll just have to keep begging.

Reaction Score
Be sure to let us know when UCONN has a "couple" of substandard recruiting years. Until then you'll just have to keep begging.

I hope I never have to but it's certainly a possibility............

Reaction Score
I've posted before that she is really key. This squad needs depth not just in the post, but in the backcourt. A third guard is desperately needed.
More than certainly agree. Uconn needs reliable depth in all positions. I'm not a medico but I watch ed doctor Welby a lot. However, we have too many recovering from injuries that many played with most of last season. Kids that play while hurting have 2 issues: 1. They can't be at th e top of their game 2. Injuries weaken and a weakened body has a tendency to be hurt again.
Take it from me: rehabing a damaged body does not make you mr or mrs USA when you finish.

Reaction Score
You would go broke or waste you life away betting on those possibilities though. Kind of like a few years ago when I was waiting for Vanessa Williams to separate herself from Rick Fox so we could be together.

I never though you were interested in Older Women! There are so many pretty young-uns toddering around.

Reaction Score
Maybe I am wrong but I seem to recall that she exhibited the same general shooting motion on 'First Night' :eek:
Mikayla's shot has almost no prayer of entering the hoop. It seems to begin with two hands on the ball, below her waist, and then gets launched somewhere around her mid-section. Her eyes cannot line-up with the ball and the target. So she misses most shots ( certainly from the arc ) badly. And her outside shot is easy to defend.

Her scoring will come from lay-ups only, unless she totally revises how she launches her jump shot, and it is a bit late for that (can you righties become lefties in a season?)

You are all finally reminding me of the flaws I saw in her game last season ( when she was " healthy" ). She may become a decent defender; hopefully she can see the court well and pass effectively, and she can drive to the hoop. But her outside shot is a liability. And, for a UCONN, guard, that won't cut it.

So don't expect to find a hidden gem here. She will not, in my view, be a significant player.

Reaction Score
Mikayla's shot has almost no prayer of entering the hoop. It seems to begin with two hands on the ball, below her waist, and then gets launched somewhere around her mid-section. Her eyes cannot line-up with the ball and the target. So she misses most shots ( certainly from the arc ) badly. And her outside shot is easy to defend.

Her scoring will come from lay-ups only, unless she totally revises how she launches her jump shot, and it is a bit late for that (can you righties become lefties in a season?)

You are all finally reminding me of the flaws I saw in her game last season ( when she was " healthy" ). She may become a decent defender; hopefully she can see the court well and pass effectively, and she can drive to the hoop. But her outside shot is a liability. And, for a UCONN, guard, that won't cut it.

So don't expect to find a hidden gem here. She will not, in my view, be a significant player.

if she is so flawed can you explain exactly why she was rated the #13 player and the #2 guard in the country by ESPN and exactly why she was recruited by UConn in the first place?

I prefer this early assessment of her game:

Athletic combo-guard creates, elevates in mid-range game; dribble-drive attack draws contact, finishes to rim; scorer's mentality delivers with consistency. (Olson)

Reaction Score
if she is so flawed can you explain exactly why she was rated the #13 player and the #2 guard in the country by ESPN and exactly why she was recruited by UConn in the first place?

I prefer this early assessment of her game:

Athletic combo-guard creates, elevates in mid-range game; dribble-drive attack draws contact, finishes to rim; scorer's mentality delivers with consistency. (Olson)

Thank you!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Every ESPN ranking are relative not absolute. No ESPN ranking, regardless of how high, guarantees success in the UCONN program or any program. Mikayla was recruited because Geno thought she could make a contribution to the team-same for all recruits. Geno is not infallible-I believe someone else has already reminded you of that earlier today.

Reaction Score
Every ESPN ranking are relative not absolute. No ESPN ranking, regardless of how high, guarantees success in the UCONN program or any program. Mikayla was recruited because Geno thought she could make a contribution to the team-same for all recruits. Geno is not infallible-I believe someone else has already reminded you of that earlier today.

so I take it that you're in agreement with the poster who said her recruitment was a mistake? That's a shame, I think she still has a chance to be a nice piece of the puzzle if she can hang in there........

Reaction Score
Who knows when her illness started limiting her. She was probably quite frustrated and played with her head. I feel like she is going to be the defensive answer for CW when those moments come as a freshman where she is overwhelmed in a game. I think Coombs will be the break out bench player this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom