Mikayla Coombs? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs?

Reaction Score
Me too. I think Mikayla will raise a lot of eyebrows this year, and UConn fans will be very pleased with her play. Mikayla's best days are still in front of her. :p
Thank you. You saw the Mikayla Coombs I saw. As some have said and I repeated, as mine, Coombs floor vision, stealing, ball handling, passing (if near error-free) will keep her from being buried on the bench. Star quality she still has 3 years beyond now to achieve that.
Thanks for the great thought about Mikayla..

Reaction Score
This discussion reminded my of an article by a college women's coach, I think it was Texas A&T, who had tried to get his players to learn the UConn motion offense. He gave up. Hard as they tried, they just could't get it.

So, athletic skill alone is not enough. It takes awhile. But, when they get it, it is a marvel to see.

The players who aren't trying to get it in practice, don't stay.

I think that, all the coaching staff wants to see is the effort demonstrated to the best of the player's abilities. Then they have become real UConn Husky, even if they only start in their last home game.

If I was forced to pick a single play that epitomized the UConn basketball program. and my fondest memory- it would be the steal and score by Heather. Whenever I need a feel good moment, I don't have a drink, I watch the replay.

In fact, I'm going to do it right now.

I watched that game again within the last 2 weeks. That last minute scoring, going full court, was not a gimme. It came as both teams fought for the ball and she got it; off she went for the lay-in there wasn't a Uconn fan in any of the 50 states and kids overseas that didn't cheer that moment.
I agree- it was a heart warming moment and a life time memory for Heather Buck.

Reaction Score
I do remember, Napheesa was in the gym working out with Kobe and Megan. Big difference between 'tinkering" and a shot that needs to rebuilt though. Equally big difference between a player who is an established AA and one that is trying to crack the regular rotation.
I always thought Shea had an odd jump and an odd free throw shot; is that just me or did she?
Again, I ask you rather than stumble with a faulty memory. I asked Geno about it when you could still email his Uconn Ed address. I don't recall the reply, but I'm sure I blushed.

Reaction Score
I saw so little of her last year. What is /are the mechanics issues with her jump(?) shot? Anyone have video of it?

I could send you a copy of Geno's Basketball Fundamentals where he goes through the mechanics of shooting; once you see that you shall see the same mechanics with his team, especially the good shooter. I'm sure it's on the web somewhere--it was given away by Bob's furniture 30 years ago or so. I pass out copies to local elementary girl wanabe's it really is a good fundamental teaching tool.
Sorry got carried away--AGAIN--I don't have the video you want--sorry

Reaction Score
+ Mikayla Coombs is very athletic.
+ One bright spot in her stats from last season is her 16 steals which combined with athleticism provides the potential for her to impact the game on the defensive side of the ball. This team lost 2 DPOY to graduation.
- Mikayla developed vein thrombosis late in the season and had to be shut down.
- Mikayla's jump shot is broken and needs to be rebuilt or the accuracy improved through repetition.
- Mikayla needs a defined role. Last year that role appear to be the 2nd PG role and she did not excel in that role.
- Mikayla shooting overall (31%) needs to improve and her accuracy from deep (9%) is not encouraging.
Summary: You can forget about the ESPN ranking, that's ancient history. Mikayla has a ways to go to become a contributor at UCONN but she certainly has the tools (quickness & athleticism) to get there. Better health will also be very helpful.

How could you say she didn't excel in that role, She hardly got any playing time. I think she could of helped late in the season if she had gotten more playing time. She is quick and very aggressive to the basket. Just didn't get the chance to prove it. I hope she is healthy and comes out swinging.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hope Mikayla does well this year. But what really hurt was the departure of her fellow freshman, AEH. That player really began to show glimpses of excellence. A real loss that she took off for MSU.

I expect AEH to be a major performer down there this year.

AEH never showed glimpses of excellence in a UConn uniform. She stood outside the arc and launched 3-pt shots whenever she touched the ball. Most didn’t go in. Maybe she’ll be most excellent for MSU this year or next.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn’t Geno day on signing day 2 years ago that Mikayla’s shot needed work? I’ll see if I can find what Geno said.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How could you say she didn't excel in that role, She hardly got any playing time. I think she could of helped late in the season if she had gotten more playing time. She is quick and very aggressive to the basket. Just didn't get the chance to prove it. I hope she is healthy and comes out swinging.
I can reliably say Mikayla did not excel because I watch very closely and chart every game. She got plenty of chances. For example, Mikayla was given 1/2 half minutes against Memphis to work with 4 of the starters and was awful. UCONN was up by 20 points when she came into the game. She started off well rebound & assist but then things turned quickly. In this video sequence (6:55 -2:00 Q2) you can see 1) Foul at the basket because she was late on a rotation 2) turn over, 3) air ball on corner three, 4) getting beat down court on defense as well as 5) compounding getting beat by fouling again. You can also see Geno with his head down in disbelief during her play followed by a long "talking" to after she came out of the game. Sorry but if Mikayla can't play well against Memphis with 4 other starters on the floor what is Geno supposed to do. give her more chances?

Reaction Score
What's a reasonable comp here, Brianna Banks?

With the other talent in the backcourt, it's hard to envision Coombs getting more than reserve minutes or seeing meaningful playing time in a competitive game.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Hope Mikayla does well this year. But what really hurt was the departure of her fellow freshman, AEH. That player really began to show glimpses of excellence. A real loss that she took off for MSU.

According to what I read, Andy will have to sit out the year.

I expect AEH to be a major performer down there this year.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Mikayla was special. She had speed and skills. Due to health issues, Mikayla had to sit out the middle to end part of the season. I am looking forward to watching her play this season. Hopefully, if healthy she will be the first guard off the bench.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

With the other talent in the backcourt, it's hard to envision Coombs getting more than reserve minutes or seeing meaningful playing time in a competitive game.
What other talent in the back court after the starters? Coco, yes Geno should give a player more chances. If a player makes mistakes and never see's the floor again it does not help her confidence. Freshmen at UConn will make mistakes and so do juniors and seniors. Tell me one player who has not missed an assignment and made the same kind of mistakes the freshmen make.

Reaction Score
I can reliably say Mikayla did not excel because I watch very closely and chart every game. She got plenty of chances. For example, Mikayla was given 1/2 half minutes against Memphis to work with 4 of the starters and was awful. UCONN was up by 20 points when she came into the game. She started off well rebound & assist but then things turned quickly. In this video sequence (6:55 -2:00 Q2) you can see 1) Foul at the basket because she was late on a rotation 2) turn over, 3) air ball on corner three, 4) getting beat down court on defense as well as 5) compounding getting beat by fouling again. You can also see Geno with his head down in disbelief during her play followed by a long "talking" to after she came out of the game. Sorry but if Mikayla can't play well against Memphis with 4 other starters on the floor what is Geno supposed to do. give her more chances?

once she understands where she was at fault..................absolutely yes...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Comparable size & quickness for sure. Banks was a better shooter (50% as a Freshmen) and had much better defensive techniques than I have seen from Mikayla thus far. Specifically Mikayla is too upright in her defensive stance and that impacts her ability to move laterally defensively. Banks had no problem getting low which is where you want to be. Banks also played meaningful minutes as a freshmen guard on a team that included Bria Hartley, Kelly Faris, Caroline Doty & Tiffany Hayes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What other talent in the back court after the starters? Coco, yes Geno should give a player more chances. If a player makes mistakes and never see's the floor again it does not help her confidence. Freshmen at UConn will make mistakes and so do juniors and seniors. Tell me one player who has not missed an assignment and made the same kind of mistakes the freshmen make.
once she understands where she was at fault...absolutely yes......
Think I am going to put this on a bumper sticker because some keep getting it twisted:

For UCONN WBB chances & trust are earned, not randomly and equally given out by Geno like some do with participation trophies.

Mikayla controls her destiny.

Reaction Score
Think I am going to put this on a bumper sticker because some keep getting it twisted:

For UCONN WBB chances & trust are earned, not randomly and equally given out by Geno like some do with participation trophies.

Mikayla controls her destiny.

yes all players need to earn their playing time but freshmen especially need to be given second, third and sometimes fourth chances as long as they are hustling and making an honest effort.............................Geno's inability to develop a quality bench last season had a negative impact on the starters, especially those with nagging injuries partly leading to their ultimate loss in the semi-finals....................and yes I said Geno's inability to develop a bench.....................he spent years recruiting each of the players and he was ultimately responsible for training these players, so if they did not succeed he needs to take much of the blame just as he would deserve much of the credit if they succeeded...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
yes all players need to earn their playing time but freshmen especially need to be given second, third and sometimes fourth chances as long as they are hustling and making an honest effort.........Geno's inability to develop a quality bench last season had a negative impact on the starters, especially those with nagging injuries partly leading to their ultimate loss in the semi-finals.....and yes I said Geno's inability to develop a bench......he spent years recruiting each of the players and he was ultimately responsible for training these players, so if they did not succeed he needs to take much of the blame just as he would deserve much of the credit if they succeeded......
The bolded part is interesting conjecture on your part, entirely wrong but interesting. Once again UCONN players are not given anything-they earn it!

Reaction Score
yes all players need to earn their playing time but freshmen especially need to be given second, third and sometimes fourth chances as long as they are hustling and making an honest effort

I'm curious which coach you are a fan of, because it's not in Geno.

Players are given the opportunity to succeed in practice. If they fail in practice, there's no reason to believe they will not fail in a game.
That has always been the case, and it ain't changing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm curious which coach you are a fan of, because it's not in Geno. Players are given the opportunity to succeed in practice. If they fail in practice, there's no reason to believe they will not fail in a game. That has always been the case, and it ain't changing.
I hear Rutgers WBB is on the come up and that's right there in @Charliebball home state.
Also instate and "Ivy League" is the program Courtney is running at Princeton. :eek:

Reaction Score
I'm curious which coach you are a fan of, because it's not in Geno.

Players are given the opportunity to succeed in practice. If they fail in practice, there's no reason to believe they will not fail in a game.
That has always been the case, and it ain't changing.

did I ever say I wasn't a Geno fan? I'm only aware of one entity that is infallible although I do wonder sometimes when I read some of the posts about Geno here...........

Reaction Score
The bolded part is interesting conjecture on your part, entirely wrong but interesting. Once again UCONN players are not given anything-they earn it!

I know you believe you've cornered the market on right and wrong here but that doesn't always fly with me............Geno himself admitted that KLS needed a breather in the second half of the ND game as she was gassed and that he probably should have subbed for her but didn't..............forgetting about the rest of the bench, he had Walker sitting there the entire game and if you don't think she could have contributed at least a few minutes of respite then that's a damning indictment of the coach and the player.........

Reaction Score
I hear Rutgers WBB is on the come up and that's right there in @Charliebball home state.
Also instate and "Ivy League" is the program Courtney is running at Princeton. :eek:

say what you want about Rutgers.................. I never thought that at this late date CViv could actually out recruit Geno...................the fact that it's even possible for 2019 is not a pleasant thought.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know you believe you've cornered the market on right and wrong here but that doesn't always fly with me..Geno himself admitted that KLS needed a breather in the second half of the ND game as she was gassed and that he probably should have subbed for her but didn't....forgetting about the rest of the bench, he had Walker sitting there the entire game and if you don't think she could have contributed at least a few minutes of respite then that's a damning indictment of the coach and the player....
I do have "this" market cornered. Here are the facts which make you so........wrong: 1) UCONN bench last year consisted of not only Megan Walker but also Azura Stevens. If KLS needed a breather Azura would have been the one to provide it as she did all season long. 2) No other NCAA team had a player of the quality of Azura Stevens coming off the bench last year=6th player picked in WNBA draft.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom