Mikayla Coombs? | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs?

Reaction Score
Any word about Mikayla Coombs? She came in highly touted, ranked #13 in Hoopgurlz (whatever that means). She barely played as a freshman, and one would think this is a crucial year for her.

I haven't heard anything about her.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'm surprised this thread hasn't 100 visitors by now. Last season there were a number of Coomb suppoters that thought she'd be a standout. After watching her minimal time I too became a Coomb watcher. She showed signs of speed with the ball in her hand, played decent defense, and seemed to have good court awareness: I.e. a pretty good PG.

If healthy, I expect more than good basketball from her, backup for Danger. We will see
Thanks for this thread on a good kid and good BB player, she deserves some recognition, thanks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
+ Mikayla Coombs is very athletic.
+ One bright spot in her stats from last season is her 16 steals which combined with athleticism provides the potential for her to impact the game on the defensive side of the ball. This team lost 2 DPOY to graduation.
- Mikayla developed vein thrombosis late in the season and had to be shut down.
- Mikayla's jump shot is broken and needs to be rebuilt or the accuracy improved through repetition.
- Mikayla needs a defined role. Last year that role appear to be the 2nd PG role and she did not excel in that role.
- Mikayla shooting overall (31%) needs to improve and her accuracy from deep (9%) is not encouraging.
Summary: You can forget about the ESPN ranking, that's ancient history. Mikayla has a ways to go to become a contributor at UCONN but she certainly has the tools (quickness & athleticism) to get there. Better health will also be very helpful.

Reaction Score
I don't we saw what Mikayla was capable of last season. Her season ended early with deep vein thrombosis which then kept her off the court post season for some time. Add that to the freshman shock of adjusting to college ball, and I'd guess she views it as a disappointing season. I'd bet she'll be a much different player this year.

Reaction Score
+ One bright spot in her stats from last season is her 16 steals which combined with athleticism provides the potential for her to impact the game on the defensive side of the ball. This team lost 2 DPOY to graduation.
-
- Mikayla shooting overall (31%) needs to improve and her accuracy from deep (9%) is not encouraging.
Summary: You can forget about the ESPN ranking, that's ancient history. Mikayla has a ways to go to become a contributor at UCONN but she certainly has the tools (quickness & athleticism) to get there. Better health will also be very helpful.

while I don't remember her being known as a great outside shooter in high school, not sure you can judge her mid range game yet.................heck..............she barely played...........she must have taken 25-30 shots for the entire season.................in the long run I sense she's going to get many of her points on the fast break, put backs and 15 foot and in jumpers.................if she's healthy she could be a valuable asset.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
while I don't remember her being known as a great outside shooter in high school, not sure you can judge her mid range game yet.......heck....she barely played......she must have taken 25-30 shots for the entire season.......in the long run I sense she's going to get many of her points on the fast break, put backs and 15 foot and in jumpers.......if she's healthy she could be a valuable asset...
Mikayla took 29 shots on the season. As a guard in the UCONN offense the shots that Mikayla must take and make are the wing 3 ball and the corner 3 in transition. 11 of her 29 shots were from deep because that's the UCONN offense. Also don't forget that AEH was the first guard coming off the bench ahead of Mikayla before her transfer. Those are the same shots Bria Hartley, MoJeff, Kia Nurse and Crystal Dangerfield had to take and learn to make at a high clip for the UCONN offense to maintain the optical spacing and ball movement.
Been watching long enough to recognize a broken jump shot. Mikayla's shot is a side winding almost hip toss. You can make that shot work, Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin certainly did in the NBA. It is a decision that needs to be made and probably has already been made: do you rebuilt the shot or do you allow her to keep shooting that same way-with increased repetition?

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Been watching long enough to recognize a broken jump shot. Mikayla's shot is a side winding almost hip toss. You can make that shot work, Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin certainly did in the NBA. It is a decision that needs to be made and probably has already been made: do you rebuilt the shot or do you allow her to keep shooting that same was-with increased repetition.

I am glad I am not the only one who see's this. There is very little advantage in such an unorthodox shooting motion.
It takes too much time to release and the more non vertical motion, the more chance for inaccuracy.
As EDD strives for, minimize any movement.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am glad I am not the only one who see's this. There is very little advantage in such an unorthodox shooting motion.
It takes too much time to release and the more non vertical motion, the more chance for inaccuracy.
As EDD strives for, minimize any movement.
I'm not sure we are the only ones. This was discussed before going back to when Mikayla played in the McDonalds AA and Jordan Brand HS games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Been watching long enough to recognize a broken jump shot. Mikayla's shot is a side winding almost hip toss. You can make that shot work, Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin certainly did in the NBA. It is a decision that needs to be made and probably has already been made: do you rebuilt the shot or do you allow her to keep shooting that same way-with increased repetition.

Maybe I am wrong but I seem to recall that she exhibited the same general shooting motion on 'First Night' :eek:

Reaction Score
Mikayla took 29 shots on the season. As a guard in the UCONN offense the shots that Mikayla must take and make are the wing 3 ball and the corner 3 in transition. 11 of her 29 shots were from deep because that's the UCONN offense. Also don't forget that AEH was the first guard coming off the bench ahead of Mikayla before her transfer. Those are the same shots Bria Hartley, MoJeff, Kia Nurse and Crystal Dangerfield had to take and learn to make at a high clip for the UCONN offense to maintain the optical spacing and ball movement.
Been watching long enough to recognize a broken jump shot. Mikayla's shot is a side winding almost hip toss. You can make that shot work, Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin certainly did in the NBA. It is a decision that needs to be made and probably has already been made: do you rebuilt the shot or do you allow her to keep shooting that same way-with increased repetition.

so when she was recruited I have to assume that UConn was also aware of her push shot shooting issues but determined that they could fix it or felt that she was going to be a player who could contribute in other ways if she could not..........frankly I'm a bit more interested in her defense, her ball handling and her passing ability at this point..........if she is good in those areas she will be a helpful piece of the puzzle.............I believe Napheesa developed a strange extended elbow issue with her outside shot last season which some commented on but apparently eventually it was either fixed or it ended up working after a while as recent reports are her shooting has improved

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm bullish on her, expecting 20 minutes a game as the first guard off the bench and strong production.

Me too. I think Mikayla will raise a lot of eyebrows this year, and UConn fans will be very pleased with her play. Mikayla's best days are still in front of her. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Because of her speed I'd be happy if, in Geno's offense, Mikayla made pull up 2's and open looks inside the arc; and yeah, open corner 3's. Any 3's made anywhere else would be a bonus. Of course, excellent on ball defense, ball protection, some game management and good ball movement will get her on the court anyway. Geno knows this team will need a guard off the bench.

Reaction Score
This discussion reminded my of an article by a college women's coach, I think it was Texas A&T, who had tried to get his players to learn the UConn motion offense. He gave up. Hard as they tried, they just could't get it.

So, athletic skill alone is not enough. It takes awhile. But, when they get it, it is a marvel to see.

The players who aren't trying to get it in practice, don't stay.

I think that, all the coaching staff wants to see is the effort demonstrated to the best of the player's abilities. Then they have become real UConn Husky, even if they only start in their last home game.

If I was forced to pick a single play that epitomized the UConn basketball program. and my fondest memory- it would be the steal and score by Heather. Whenever I heed a feel good moment, I don't have a drink, I watch the replay.

In fact, I'm going to do it right now.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This discussion reminded my of an article by a college women's coach, I think it was Texas A&T, who had tried to get his players to learn the UConn motion offense. He gave up. Hard as they tried, they just could't get it.

So, athletic skill alone is not enough. It takes awhile. But, when they get it, it is a marvel to see.

The players who aren't trying to get it in practice, don't stay.

I think that, all the coaching staff wants to see is the effort demonstrated to the best of the player's abilities. Then they have become real UConn Husky, even if they only start in their last home game.

If I was forced to pick a single play that epitomized the UConn basketball program. and my fondest memory- it would be the steal and score by Heather. Whenever I heed a feel good moment, I don't have a drink, I watch the replay.

In fact, I'm going to do it right now.
I just watched it. Makes you feel so good for her. And her team mates. But I will still want a drink now and then! :D

Reaction Score
- Mikayla developed vein thrombosis late in the season and had to be shut down.
- Mikayla's jump shot is broken and needs to be rebuilt or the accuracy improved through repetition.
- Mikayla needs a defined role. Last year that role appear to be the 2nd PG role and she did not excel in that role.

Coming from you actually who knows what you are posting, unlike me going on emotions, is certainly high praise. You are right I forgot the steals which said to me--we need that player.
If her health/physique improves over the summer she has an excellent shot of backing up Danger. Danger with her own health issues needs that relief big time. Coco--thanks for the great analysis of a great kid, thank.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
so when she was recruited I have to assume that UConn was also aware of her push shot shooting issues but determined that they could fix it or felt that she was going to be a player who could contribute in other ways if she could not.....frankly I'm a bit more interested in her defense, her ball handling and her passing ability at this point.....if she is good in those areas she will be a helpful piece of the puzzle...I believe Napheesa developed a strange extended elbow issue with her outside shot last season which some commented on but apparently eventually it was either fixed or it ended up working after a while as recent reports are her shooting has improved
@Charliebball Napheesa shot 53% and started games for UCONN as a Freshmen. She was an AA and shot 68% (THIS IS NOT A TYPO) as a Sophomore & 43% from deep. Frankly, her name doesn't belong in this conversation. I'm not sure why ANYONE would want to tinker with her shooting motion. Accuracy is the issue not the shooting motion and only for Mikayla.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I saw so little of her last year. What is /are the mechanics issues with her jump(?) shot? Anyone have video of it?

Reaction Score
@Charliebball Napheesa shot 53% and started games for UCONN as a Freshmen. She was an AA and shot 68% (THIS IS NOT A TYPO) as a Sophomore & 43% from deep. Frankly, her name doesn't belong in this conversation. I'm not sure why ANYONE would want to tinker with her shooting motion. Accuracy is the issue not the shooting motion and only for Mikayla.

I was making a point that she perhaps like Ms Coombs had tinkered with her shooting form...........you don't remember the comments about her changing her outside shooting technique? Clearly a different position but she shot 2-13 or .154 from three point land as a freshman and 22-64 or .344 last year

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was making a point that she perhaps like Ms Coombs had tinkered with her shooting form......you don't remember the comments about her changing her outside shooting technique? Clearly a different position but she shot 2-13 or .154 from three point land as a freshman and 22-64 or .344 last year
I do remember, Napheesa was in the gym working out with Kobe and Megan. Big difference between 'tinkering" and a shot that needs to rebuilt though. Equally big difference between a player who is an established AA and one that is trying to crack the regular rotation.

Reaction Score
1541019579391.png

Reaction Score
I do remember, Napheesa was in the gym working out with Kobe and Megan. Big difference between 'tinkering" and a shot that needs to rebuilt though. Equally big difference between a player who is an established AA and one that is trying to crack the regular rotation.

My only point was that another player on the UConn team was also tinkering with her outside shot.................I believe she started tinkering with it at the beginning of last season but wasn't satisfied with the results........BTW she'd be the first to admit that she's not an All American because of her outside shot, she's a All American because she is deadly from all angles within ten feet of the basket

The Bristol Press - Collier to tweak jump shot for UConn women's basketball with hopes to grow more as player

“There are a lot of things I want and need to improve on for next year,” Collier said. “My shooting, my outside shot, every aspect I want to improve.”
One of the things she has done is change the release on her jump shot. She’s been working with Alex Bazzell, an NBA/WNBA skills trainer with whom she has trained since her junior year at Incarnate Word Academy in St. Louis.
Collier shot 34.3 percent from 3-point land as a junior when she took as many shots from behind the arc (64) as she did her first two years combined. At 6-foot-1, she knows the 3 must be a part of her game in order to be effective in the WNBA.
In late May, Bazzell posted a video on Twitter of Collier making 20 treys in a row with former NBA great Kobe Bryant as a witness.
“Before my shot was above my head, and it would get messed up a lot because it would move a lot,” Collier said. “Now I’m trying to lower it so that it will be more consistent. When it was so high I was moving my arms a lot and it would be a different shot every time.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Been watching long enough to recognize a broken jump shot. Mikayla's shot is a side winding almost hip toss. You can make that shot work, Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin certainly did in the NBA. It is a decision that needs to be made and probably has already been made: do you rebuilt the shot or do you allow her to keep shooting that same way-with increased repetition?

Thanks, I enjoy this analysis of shooting style. Some AAU/HS coaches have a fear of changing a shooting style (and maybe the parents too) fearful their shooting "touch" adjustment will reduced their numbers. Geno has no such fear. He has worked wonders with recruits with shooting issues. If Mikayla is health she may not be Moriah as a senior but she will be better, the kid has a good brain and usually makes use of it. If healthy, there is a need and a place for Coombs: her floor vision, passing, defense is good and will improve; if her shooting style stays as it was and her number improves some she is still useful. I still think Geno will work her style and improve her shots.
I particularly liked your comments about what is expected of a Uconn PG in the area of scoring. Those that you mentioned enhanced their shooting the 3 as they progressed through Geno system and years. I loved the running Jumper made by Hartley, Rene, Moriah--they were usually daggers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom