Mikayla Coombs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs

Reaction Score
I think you are employing " wishful thinking." It is expected that Megan will be great because of her top rating amongst HS graduates. We feel the same about Coombs. Mikayla made a great drive to the basket but blew the layup. And Megan was 1-9. If that had been Molly Bent, you would be writing her off. Time will tell. But there is no " wow" factor, at the moment, with any of the freshmen players. The 2017/2018 " wow " factor is Crystal. Her emergence makes our " starting six " almost unbeatable.

Here is a question: Do Molly or Kyla have any chance of becoming important contributors to this team?

Molly no, not if she had seven years to play

Kyla is very good, she has many tools in the toolbox. Her issue is minutes. There are not a ton of minutes to go around. I feel Kyla may never realize her full potential here.

Reaction Score
I can’t agree at all. Molly is ALREADY making quality contributions. Geno has trusted her with minutes, and she has mostly done a good job distributing the ball. She understands her role; that some fans don’t get it is their problem.

You don't have to agree but your wrong. The post asked if she would be an important contributor. Do you think Molly will start? Do you think she will contribute more than Megan Walker? You do? She may be an important contributor at practice. She may be a great teammate and help tutor and mentor the freshman. You think she's going to be an impact player and influence games? I want what your drinking

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Molly no, not if she had seven years to play
I think Molly is doing better than many on this board think. I just watched the replay of the Cal game. She made two bad turnovers, but I thought her defense was pretty decent. She has excellent "closing speed" on defense. She's a capable passer. She took the open three and it rimmed out. And she's a better athlete than she is being credited for.

She needs to be more assertive on the offensive end. She's too unselfish.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
You don't have to agree but your wrong.

That’s generous of you. And it’s “you’re,” if you care.

1- “The post asked if she would be an important contributor.” And I answered that. She already is.
2- “Do you think Molly will start?” Completely a red herring; this was not any part of my response.
3- “ Do you think she will contribute more than Megan Walker?” Again, this is a not-so-sly shift in focus.
4- “She may be an important contributor at practice.” If Geno gives her minutes, it says more than any fan can opine.
5- “I want what your drinking.” What? Caffeine-free diet Pepsi? I’m glad to share. It’s not THAT bad.

You better shape up, amigo. Justine may decide to find a new guy. ;-)

Reaction Score
It is interesting to see the input to who can help - i don’t think Geno recruits kids that can’t help BUT i think more has to do with what recruits he ends up with and the style emphasized- back in the Dolson MLewis days pace wasn’t so emphasized. When Mo And Stewie really took over it has been the new trend. You get a transfer in Camara and Stevens who show great athleticism plus Gabby becoming such an important piece the pace is a must. If you don’t fit the pace you prob won’t see tons of time here with Olivia and Williams coming in. Coombs and Walker for sure fit the mold. you know you have 8-10 kids to fit that mold over next 2 years Geno isn’t going to play more than that. So why we keep trying to get every scholarship player on the floor i don’t get - it has never happened at uconn just some kids that don’t fill the role of the times- today it is play at an overwhelming pace

Reaction Score
Molly Brent is back guard that Geno has selected.
Coombs can not keep up with speed of game on defense at this point I watch last two games at games. Having said that Molly had three awful turnovers in last nights game. I sitting at Game near when she had ball taken from her at mid court and she left behind as their guard made lay up.
Geno 'a back was turned when it happened.
We have to hope she works on shot so she can make a 15 ft shot and realizes not throw passes when quick guards are near passing lanes.
We need her as our back up against Texas, SC , Louisville , UCLA and Notre Dame .
Back up point guard is Kia Nurse,

Reaction Score
That’s generous of you. And it’s “you’re,” if you care.

1- “The post asked if she would be an important contributor.” And I answered that. She already is.
2- “Do you think Molly will start?” Completely a red herring; this was not any part of my response.
3- “ Do you think she will contribute more than Megan Walker?” Again, this is a not-so-sly shift in focus.
4- “She may be an important contributor at practice.” If Geno gives her minutes, it says more than any fan can opine.
5- “I want what your drinking.” What? Caffeine-free diet Pepsi? I’m glad to share. It’s not THAT bad.

You better shape up, amigo. Justine may decide to find a new guy. ;-)

If you want to go down the grammar road I'm sure anyone can have a field day with my posts.

You know it's nothing personal with Molly. You know I want her to evolve into an impact player. I rather be wrong buddy, but I call it the way I see it.

I will admit I've been dead wrong before. I did not see it with Kara Wolters or steph dolson early. Boy was I wrong!!
That said I stand behind my post above. All good

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you want to go down the grammar road I'm sure anyone can have a field day with my posts.

You know it's nothing personal with Molly. You know I want her to evolve into an impact player. I rather be wrong buddy, but I call it the way I see it.

I will admit I've been dead wrong before. I did not see it with Kara Wolters or steph dolson early. Boy was I wrong!!
That said I stand behind my post above. All good
A player doesn't need to start to be an important player. And you're changing the subject when you asked if Molly would contribute more than Megan - why can't both contribute and be important players? Sorry, but your analysis is lacking.

Reaction Score
A player doesn't need to start to be an important player. And you're changing the subject when you asked if Molly would contribute more than Megan - why can't both contribute and be important players? Sorry, but your analysis is lacking.

Analysis? Ok let's dig in

Last year she averaged 1 point per game. I believe she played in 31 games?

This year she has played nine minutes per game in the first two games? She has yet to score a point. True scoring isn't everything but even Geno says how important offense is!!!
Ok so up till now she's not contributing on offense.

Is she a fierce rebounder? Oops, the stats don't back that up?

Lock down defender? That's a stretch.

Please tell me your analysis on how she's going to impact this team chuck full of AA and elite athletics. Or better yet how she has already made a big impact last or this year so I can see how her play may progress.
Thanks Nan.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...I call it the way I see it. I will admit I've been dead wrong before... All good

Yes, we just see the thing differently. That's entirely permissible, as I understand it. All good.

Reaction Score
Yes, we just see the thing differently. That's entirely permissible, as I understand it. All good.

Thanks big bird. We're on the same page here! Let's hope for a big win today !!

Reaction Score
Both are mechanical in the limited minutes they are playing. Personal opinion-Coombs is quicker and likely to take an open shot or drive to basket. Molly displays great effort and commitment but has had some time to overcome whatever is causing her to give up open shots and be a bit slow in her defensive footwork. Key is who is getting the minutes at end of year and playoffs. Today, its typical Geno giving time to those with more experience.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I thought I was the only one who thought she showed a glimpse of her potential. I love seeing her drive to the basket. She's going to be a Hugh asset in the future especially when the offense stalls.

Reaction Score
I think that if they want to, this season is their chance, otherwise this year's freshmen will make the sophomore leap and pass them out. That said, there are a few players who blossomed in their jr/sr seasons as reliable players. The two that come to mind are Kiah Stokes and Meghan Gardler - particularly Meghan, since she didn't really get any meaningful minutes until her senior season, and then was a reliable sub.
Kiah had much of her Senior abilities as a soph/jr. She was shooter in HS, top player in IOWA--so her abilities were never in doubt. Geno began using what Kiah would give--great defense in her Jr year. When Geno and her teammates gave her confidence she scored a bit, as needed. In the Pro's Kiah blossomed and became KIAH Stokes. Gardler was an OK player her dad was a Geno friend, that got Megan a spot on the team. She was never the talent Kiah was or became the talent Kiah became.

Reaction Score
Both are mechanical in the limited minutes they are playing. Personal opinion-Coombs is quicker and likely to take an open shot or drive to basket. Molly displays great effort and commitment but has had some time to overcome whatever is causing her to give up open shots and be a bit slow in her defensive footwork. Key is who is getting the minutes at end of year and playoffs. Today, its typical Geno giving time to those with more experience.
As much as it pains me: Molly is what Molly is; she' s a nice girl, she proved in HS she could shoot. She is not fast (as Geno said of Maria) she makes up for it by being slow. She has sufficient knowledge of the program and is a fair PG and as you pointed out isn't willing to shoot. When/if one of the 3 remaining Frosh learn defense and Geno's offense: they may take her place.\But as in many years some relegated to the bench early, may not make it off the bench. What Uconn doesn't need is more bench sitters!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I guess I'm seeing a different Molly than some of you. Recall what Geno said about her recently: She's the hardest working player on the team, along with Kia.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think that if they want to, this season is their chance, otherwise this year's freshmen will make the sophomore leap and pass them out. That said, there are a few players who blossomed in their jr/sr seasons as reliable players. The two that come to mind are Kiah Stokes and Meghan Gardler - particularly Meghan, since she didn't really get any meaningful minutes until her senior season, and then was a reliable sub.
Let's not forget Saniya Chong whose major contributions occurred in her senior year. And she still made a WNBA team.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget Saniya Chong whose major contributions occurred in her senior year. And she still made a WNBA team.

Chong would have made the big jump for her JR year if not for IT BAND injury that really hampered here. You saw she was going to make that jump. I was so proud of her SR year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Chong would have made the big jump for her JR year if not for IT BAND injury that really hampered here. You saw she was going to make that jump. I was so proud of her SR year.
Well, you know what I say about if's and but's.

Reaction Score

Nan- I was going to ask you if MB was hurt today? I thought for sure with Lou injured, and a quick turnaround to UCLA on a cross country flight her top contributions would be desperately needed today? A matter of fact Geno wouldn't play her till 4th quarter garbage time? Did you see Megan Walker? Andi? Some good minutes there? Very excited to watch them grow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom