Mikayla Coombs | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sometimes we get a player who sort of overshadows her classmates, like a Megan Walker. Megan is clearly going to be a fantastic player. But I have to tell you, my eyes were drawn to Mikayla last night. She, like Megan, has an attacking mindset, plays rather fearlessly, and has shown flashes of the potential to be something special. I love feisty guards and Mikayla is one of those. Sure, there are some things to work on but the stuff that can't be taught, like aggressiveness, confidence, and presence on the court, are already there and will improve as she gains experience.

I see you, Mikayla Coombs, and I like what I see!

Reaction Score
I agree. I was going to post about MC, but you beat me to it. :) She is going to be very good.

Reaction Score
I think it's that look in Meagan's eye that never doubts or hesitates. Where there's fire, comes greatness!

Meagan? Who dat? It's always nice to spell a person's name correctly. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have actually been impressed by all four freshman from an aggressiveness perspective. When they have gotten onto the floor they haven't been shy or tentative. It is not usual this early and may point to the benefit of the Italy trip in letting them overcome some of the fear factor.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have actually been impressed by all four freshman from an aggressiveness perspective. When they have gotten onto the floor they haven't been shy or tentative. It is not usual this early and may point to the benefit of the Italy trip in letting them overcome some of the fear factor.

Most importantly, at least to me, is they've all obviously bought into the system. As pointed out in the MW thread, they're a combined 2-for-21 from the field, but they've tipped a lot of passes, rebounded enthusiastically, and kept their arms up on defense. They haven't been shy about shooting, which could be a two-edged sword, but they're playing with confidence despite a few jitters.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Walker's 3-point attempts so far have been cringe worthy but you can see her potential when she's on the floor. She passed up several opportunities to take the mid-range jumper which, I believe, is her strength at this point in time along with an evolving defensive presence.

As her game evolves, I hope to see her get a tad more aggressive with her shooting from 15 feet on in.

Ms. Walker, stop and pop, take the damn shot! The extra pass doesn't show up on the scoreboard! :p

Reaction Score
However, Molly then Andra are still the first guards off the bench, ahead of Mikayla at this time. I know it early still... do you think that Mikayla will eventually beat them out once she gets the hang of things better?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Mikayla has all the tools. Geno has said as much, but that she needs confidence. She also needs to be able to use her left hand - the layup she attempted from the left side, where she had to contort her body to toss up a terrible shot with her right hand was painful to see. Come on Mikayla - you are talented enough to develop the ability like Gabby did!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Walker's 3-point attempts so far have been cringe worthy but you can see her potential when she's on the floor. She passed up several opportunities to take the mid-range jumper which, I believe, is her strength at this point in time along with an evolving defensive presence.

As her game evolves, I hope to see her get a tad more aggressive with her shooting from 15 feet on in.

Ms. Walker, stop and pop, take the damn shot! The extra pass doesn't show up on the scoreboard! :p
I disagree. Passes do show up in the box score, as assists, and it's wiser to pass the ball to the open player than force a shot.

Basketball is more than just scoring, though, and Megan has shown a pretty mature defense and court awareness for a freshman.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The freshmen have shown that they have bought into the system. They are aggressive and fairly willing to shoot. The offense is intricate, so they are still struggling to pick it up. I see potential in all 4 of them. One good way for them to make progress is to make their layups and FTs. They need to know that paying attention and hard work have their rewards. It will get better, a lot better.

Mikayla is very fast. I need to see more of her, but she seems almost as fast as Moriah. Her athleticism is notable.

Reaction Score
Basketball is more than just scoring, though, and Megan has shown a pretty mature defense and court awareness for a freshman.
Agreed. Megan and Mikayla are both going to be huge additions to this program. Their current contribution, or lack thereof, from a scoring perspective is meaningless, and this team enjoys the luxury of it being meaningless, at least for this season. UConn fans, above all, should be well-schooled in the notion that scoring isn’t everything in basketball. Important? Sure, but Gabby Williams is the most valuable player in WCBB, and I guarantee that she will not be the team’s leading scorer!

Reaction Score
I wanted to say this same thing after the first game, but it was about Andra and Mikayla. They both look like they are gonna be gooood!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Now Mikayila has looked ok. But there is a reason why AEH has been off the bench ahead of her. She's a strong, aggressive SG, she doesn't turn over the ball, she makes heads up plays, and she appears in better shape than the other 2. Don't sleep on her. AEH, I see you too.

Reaction Score
Sometimes we get a player who sort of overshadows her classmates, like a Megan Walker. Megan is clearly going to be a fantastic player. But I have to tell you, my eyes were drawn to Mikayla last night. She, like Megan, has an attacking mindset, plays rather fearlessly, and has shown flashes of the potential to be something special. I love feisty guards and Mikayla is one of those. Sure, there are some things to work on but the stuff that can't be taught, like aggressiveness, confidence, and presence on the court, are already there and will improve as she gains experience.

I think you are employing " wishful thinking." It is expected that Megan will be great because of her top rating amongst HS graduates. We feel the same about Coombs. Mikayla made a great drive to the basket but blew the layup. And Megan was 1-9. If that had been Molly Bent, you would be writing her off. Time will tell. But there is no " wow" factor, at the moment, with any of the freshmen players. The 2017/2018 " wow " factor is Crystal. Her emergence makes our " starting six " almost unbeatable.

Here is a question: Do Molly or Kyla have any chance of becoming important contributors to this team?

Reaction Score
Here is a question: Do Molly or Kyla have any chance of becoming important contributors to this team?
I think that if they want to, this season is their chance, otherwise this year's freshmen will make the sophomore leap and pass them out. That said, there are a few players who blossomed in their jr/sr seasons as reliable players. The two that come to mind are Kiah Stokes and Meghan Gardler - particularly Meghan, since she didn't really get any meaningful minutes until her senior season, and then was a reliable sub.

Reaction Score
Glad you singled out Mikayla for praise because, I, too saw a glimmer of real talent there and was about to say so. My thoughts extended to next year when Gabby and Kia :( leave. I imagined that Meg will replace Williams and that Kia's spot will be taken by either Christyn OR Coombs. (Should Z leave, we now have ONO to turn to.) The future is bright in a way it has not always been in the near past.

Reaction Score
IMO, Coombs will be the backup PG by mid season if not sooner. Very similar to Dangerfield last season, the game just hasn’t slowed down for her yet. But it will.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think you are employing " wishful thinking." It is expected that Megan will be great because of her top rating amongst HS graduates. We feel the same about Coombs. Mikayla made a great drive to the basket but blew the layup. And Megan was 1-9. If that had been Molly Bent, you would be writing her off. Time will tell. But there is no " wow" factor, at the moment, with any of the freshmen players. The 2017/2018 " wow " factor is Crystal. Her emergence makes our " starting six " almost unbeatable.

Wow, tough crowd. I was talking talent, not scoring.

I wish people would stop using points scored as the sole determination of whether a player is "good".

Reaction Score
Molly Brent is back guard that Geno has selected.
Coombs can not keep up with speed of game on defense at this point I watch last two games at games. Having said that Molly had three awful turnovers in last nights game. I sitting at Game near when she had ball taken from her at mid court and she left behind as their guard made lay up.
Geno 'a back was turned when it happened.
We have to hope she works on shot so she can make a 15 ft shot and realizes not throw passes when quick guards are near passing lanes.
We need her as our back up against Texas, SC , Louisville , UCLA and Notre Dame .

Reaction Score

I remember her from the McDonalds AA game and she was outstanding.

Reaction Score
I love Mikayla's game!! She's a product of Alfred Motton and FBC based out of Atlanta. She was AAU teammates and best friends with SC freshman Bianca Jackson. Both are very similar players with very high ceilings and I could tell right away when I saw her in the JBC game that she was going to be a star! Excited to watch her development and hope the two friends can square off Feb 1st. Bianca had a career high 7 assist against Clemson the other night so we're expecting big things from her as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
However, Molly then Andra are still the first guards off the bench, ahead of Mikayla at this time. I know it early still... do you think that Mikayla will eventually beat them out once she gets the hang of things better?
I expect Mikayla to be a solid backup to Danger next year. I expect Andra to back up the shooting guard position next year, and play point guard when necessary.

Reaction Score
IMO, Coombs will be the backup PG by mid season if not sooner. Very similar to Dangerfield last season, the game just hasn’t slowed down for her yet. But it will.
I second the motion. Coombs is a major talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom