Mikayla Coombs to Transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Transfer

Reaction Score
She saw the writing on the wall. I love her defense and her energy but that wasn't going to be enough. She's an offensive liability on a team that will already be short on offensive production. Go Huskies! Best wishes Mikayla!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While I'm disappointed and wish her the best, as several have pointed out, the fact is her offense was dreadful and she simply was not able to contribute on that front, which is a requirement for PT in general at UCONN.

Hope she finds what she's looking for! Best of luck Mikayla!

Side note - leaves plenty of space for Makurat and Westbrook!! ;)

Reaction Score
I am surprised that she did not put her name in sooner. I like other people said nothing due to rules. I do believe Geno has a couple of grad transfers coming in next year one guard and 1 forward. We desperately need a big.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I am surprised that she did not put her name in sooner. I like other people said nothing due to rules. I do believe Geno has a couple of grad transfers coming in next year one guard and 1 forward. We desperately need a big.

According to what source?

Reaction Score
I wish her the best of luck. If she sits out a year, she should make a concerted effort to revamp her shot during that period. Her defense is already good enough for top level Division One basketball.

From a class of four to a class of one. Followed by a class of two and another class of one. We are in need of some positive news on the transfer front.

I wish that she had earned Geno`s trust to the point where he would have played her
1. on Asia Durr for a brief stretch or two in the second half of the Elite Eight, and
2. for a few minutes in the fourth quarter against ND, guarding either Mabry or Ogunbowale.

Yup, we sure are

Class of 2014-2 transfers(Edwards/Ekmark)
Class of 2015-1 transfer(Boykin)
Class of 2016-0 transfers(1 player class)
Class of 2017-3 transfers(AEH/Gordon/Coombs)

I mean, it's the same problem everywhere, but our problem is that 2, 1 player classes in 4 years, has hurt roster numbers bad.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to hear that, I always had a soft spot in my heart for Mikayla. I wish things had worked out for her at UConn, but I wish her all the best wherever she lands.
Agreed. She's progressing and I felt that she might make a big jump next season. Hopefully she still will.

I wish her the best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1556037111778.png

Reaction Score
Now our roster goes to 8. Wow season is looking good for next year. Maybe Westbrook is coming.. with already a depleted bench Coombs would have been playing a lot of minutes and maybe even be a starter.. so why all of a sudden riding the bench for 2 years and now finally having having her chance to play significant Minutes and maybe start she decides to transfer. My guess Geno sat down with her and told her the plan for next season. My guess we have comittments coming for next season. If that’s not the case this is a huge blow. If camara can’t go that brings our roster to 7 people with molly and Irwin the only 2 coming of the bench. No way u can run a team on 8 players not even enough bodies to run a full practice. Huge blow!

Big blow to this team. I thought she was not getting enough playing time that she deserved. I don't blame her for transferring into a program that gives her a fair chance. We've been loosing bench players that can help us.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that. I kind liked watching her play. She is very athletic and had a lot of speed. I was hoping that she would have stuck around for the four years and graduated. Oh, well.

Reaction Score
Now our roster goes to 8. Wow season is looking good for next year. Maybe Westbrook is coming.. with already a depleted bench Coombs would have been playing a lot of minutes and maybe even be a starter.. so why all of a sudden riding the bench for 2 years and now finally having having her chance to play significant Minutes and maybe start she decides to transfer. My guess Geno sat down with her and told her the plan for next season. My guess we have comittments coming for next season. If that’s not the case this is a huge blow. If camara can’t go that brings our roster to 7 people with molly and Irwin the only 2 coming of the bench. No way u can run a team on 8 players not even enough bodies to run a full practice. Huge blow!
What does your gut tell you about this? Is Westbrook still in CT? :rolleyes:
BTW, I believe Geno uses men in his practices.

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes played 342 minutes in her Sophomore season (10.7 MPG) and was drafted in the first round (11th overall) two years later. It feels like student-athlete's expectations are different to those of prior years.

For comparison Mikayla played 356 minutes in her Sophomore season (11.5 MPG). If she can add even the threat of a pull-up jumper, it would open up her opportunities to drive to the basket.

While entering the portal doesn't guarantee a player will leave, if that happens then I wish her all the best.

Reaction Score
What does your gut tell you about this? Is Westbrook still in CT? :rolleyes:
BTW, I believe Geno uses men in his practices.
Using men does you no good unless you're in Gampel or the Werth Center since they aren't allowed off-campus as part of the team.

Reaction Score
I really felt, she would do well this season now that all upper classmen are out the way. I feel her athleticism and defense is a must have and will be missed if rumor is true. Mo Jefferson didn't really have a pure jump shot til late in her career defense and assisting was her reliables. Please don't go MC!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Using men does you no good unless you're in Gampel or the Werth Center since they aren't allowed off-campus as part of the team.
Interesting. I never thought about this.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Did not expect that. I wish her the best.

Disappointed to hear this, but given her position and pecking order on the team right now, and the perception of her anticipated involvement next season, not shocked.

I hate to see her leave, but as UConnCat commented: "She really struggled offensively which is what kept her on the bench." Obviously she is not happy with her current role on the team, and no doubt wants to play more, but the writing on the wall said that was not likely to happen going forward.

There is a team out there somewhere that will give her that platform. I wish her all the best. I’m very saddened to see her go. I will miss her. :( Peace be with you Mikayla, and best of luck to you at your next stop.

Now that we have lost the best defensive player on the bench, where/who do we turn to when we need a defensive stopper to sub in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes played 342 minutes in her Sophomore season (10.7 MPG) and was drafted in the first round (11th overall) two years later. It feels like student-athlete's expectations are different to those of prior years.

For comparison Mikayla played 356 minutes in her Sophomore season (11.5 MPG). If she can add even the threat of a pull-up jumper, it would open up her opportunities to drive to the basket.

While entering the portal doesn't guarantee a player will leave, if that happens then I wish her all the best.
I certainly hope that you aren't comparing the abilities of Kiah and Mikayla. There is no comparison IMO.

Reaction Score
Not entirely surprising. If you watch the games last year, Combs usually does not seem that enthusiastic from the bench, maybe that's how she is as a person, but I always felt like she was not particularly happy. Coombs always seems to play hard when she is on the court.

So I kept hearing from many Uconn fans on here asking why would recruits not want to come and play for the best program in wbb, for the best coaching staff, etc... How do you explain the high rate of transfer in the past few years of players who have actually gone through the experience?

Reaction Score
UCONN needs a big , but most of the off season talk so far have been about guards Westbrook & Combs . Where are the dominating centers that are coming sources ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom