Mikayla Coombs to Transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Transfer

Reaction Score
How can anyone blame Mikayla for transferring? Geno didn't play her one minute in the final four. She could have been put in a few minutes for defensive purposes. This just makes me sick to my stomach. Geno better sign some players for next year or UCONN will be skating on thin ice.

Reaction Score
Not entirely surprising. If you watch the games last year, Combs usually does not seem that enthusiastic from the bench, maybe that's how she is as a person, but I always felt like she was not particularly happy. Coombs always seems to play hard when she is on the court.

So I kept hearing from many Uconn fans on here asking why would recruits not want to come and play for the best program in wbb, for the best coaching staff, etc... How do you explain the high rate of transfer in the past few years of players who have actually gone through the experience?
You also heard it from WBB graduates, you know, the ones in the WNBA and on the USA team. I would offer my opinion on why players transfer but I believe it is against the rules (and rightfully so, besides not a single one of us knows!).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What does your gut tell you about this? Is Westbrook still in CT? :rolleyes:
BTW, I believe Geno uses men in his practices.
Yes, he does. But the problem is they (the male practice players) can't travel. So when UCONN practices on away games they can only use what they got. Granted a lot of times that is just shoot around, but if they want to work on 5v5 stuff, can't do it without 10 players.

Reaction Score
Yes, he does. But the problem is they (the male practice players) can't travel. So when UCONN practices on away games they can only use what they got. Granted a lot of times that is just shoot around, but if they want to work on 5v5 stuff, can't do it without 10 players.
Guess Shea and Jasmine will be getting in basketball shape :D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear the news but not entirely unexpected. I thought Mikayla might get some minutes in the tournament as a defensive stopper, but when Geno failed to use her against the likes of UCLA, Lou & ND, it was pretty clear that her offensive weakness outweighed her defensive strength as far as Geno was concerned.

I wish her all the best. Mikayla is a wonderful athlete. I sincerely hope she finds a place to enjoy “playing” basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well in the silver lining department, we have lot's and lot's of room for anyone who wants to come play.

you-get-a-8qu6aa.jpg

Reaction Score
And on top of this, UConn loses 2020 recruit Natalja Marshall, a 6'4" post player, to Oregon, right from under our noses- Christ the King in New York.

Ouch!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And on top of this, UConn loses 2020 recruit Natalja Marshall, a 6'4" post player, to Oregon, right from under our noses- Christ the King in New York.

Ouch!
I’ve watched Marshall play twice in person at the Federation Cup. She has some skills, but prefers to hang around outside and doesn’t hustle. She’s got a long way to go to be a D1 basketball player.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
From what I've read, putting your name in the transfer portal does not mean that you will transfer. I believe that there has been at least one MCBB player that put his name in and then decided to stay at the school. Until there's an announcement of a new school, I'm not assuming anything.

Reaction Score
From what I've read, putting your name in the transfer portal does not mean that you will transfer. I believe that there has been at least one MCBB player that put his name in and then decided to stay at the school. Until there's an announcement of a new school, I'm not assuming anything.

Herbert Herrigan stayed

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I know this was hashed and rehashed aplenty during the season, but Mikayla was among the more confounding players we've seen. It was difficult to behold how such a highly rated recruit -- who put up plenty of points in high school -- could appear so incapable as a scorer in college. She averaged 17 ppg in her senior year of HS; surely those weren't all from layups?

I can only surmise that some technical flaws and a lack of confidence began at some point to feed off each other in a negative cycle. I'm sure it was at least as frustrating for her as it was for all of us.

She seems like a hard worker and a great person. A reset with another program might be the best way forward for her. Wishing her all the best.

Reaction Score
Using men does you no good unless you're in Gampel or the Werth Center since they aren't allowed off-campus as part of the team.

If we throw in Shea and Jasmine...do we have 10 again?

Reaction Score

Ouch!

Didn't know it was UConn's to lose...sort of losing Boston from our back yard?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other point on Mikayla. At the end of every season Geno meets individually with each returning player to review the season just pass and to outline his expectations for next season. I would expect that Geno was very honest with Mikayla, likely indicating that she would never be more than a role player at UConn unless she could substantially improve her offensive ability.

Mikayla is a wonderful athlete with a fundamentally flawed shooting stroke that is nearly impossible to fix as a junior in college.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched Marshall play twice in person at the Federation Cup. She has some skills, but prefers to hang around outside and doesn’t hustle. She’s got a long way to go to be a D1 basketball player.

She is highly rated, and let's recall that Stephanie Dolson was no superstar when she was in high school. Slow, not good hands, and out of shape. But a couple of years later, she became strong underneath, dynamic, a great passer, and one of the best posts in the nation.

It appears that there are 5 players among the top 25 who are 6'4" or taller. Three have already been taken- and by Oregon, Notre Dame, and Stanford. We're desperate for size, yet our most bitter rivals have stolen three of the five. And one whom we're supposedly targeting, Gusters, is from Texas, which is susceptible to schools in that region.

This is a tough off-season. Fingers crossed....

Reaction Score
One other point on Mikayla. At the end of every season Geno meets individually with each returning player to review the season just pass and to outline his expectations for next season. I would expect that Geno was very honest with Mikayla, likely indicating that she would never be more than a role player at UConn unless she could substantially improve her offensive ability.

Mikayla is a wonderful athlete with a fundamentally flawed shooting stroke that is nearly impossible to fix as a junior in college.

Can't believe that she will change her mind, and take her name out of the transfer portal. Can one imagine her facing Coach Geno after doing that?

Can't see that happening.

Reaction Score
Can't believe that she will change her mind, and take her name out of the transfer portal. Can one imagine her facing Coach Geno after doing that?

Can't see that happening.

Why would that be an issue particularly if Geno had his post season meeting with her & she understands what her role would be & is accepting of that & buys in? Maybe she just wants the opportunity to explore other possibilities to see what's out there like coaches can. Coaches certainly have no issue facing their players when they have flirted with other jobs.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. She clearly won't be the next PG and her offense has just been nonexistent with no improvement in her shooting mechanics.

Reaction Score
Not entirely surprising. If you watch the games last year, Combs usually does not seem that enthusiastic from the bench, maybe that's how she is as a person, but I always felt like she was not particularly happy. Coombs always seems to play hard when she is on the court.

So I kept hearing from many Uconn fans on here asking why would recruits not want to come and play for the best program in wbb, for the best coaching staff, etc... How do you explain the high rate of transfer in the past few years of players who have actually gone through the experience?
If you really love the game, you want to play. Being on a championship team that you seldom get to play in the game you love has to be tough. I can see how a player would want to leave a great team for a good team where she could significantly participate in the games. Got to be a real challenge for the coach of the great team to keep the bench players motivated, just playing in those games where the outcome has been determined before you get to play can’t be too satisfying. My take, developing and motivating the bench is critical and will become even more difficult with the transfer trend we see today.

Reaction Score
Talk about being spoiled. Every school should have that problem (signed a top recruit of 2020, and one of the top international recruits, with likely more to come).
I don't think 2020 recruits can sign until November, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom