Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread]

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO, if she can find a 3 point shot, a mid range jumper, reliable foul shot, within herself, with plenty of summer practice, she can become a force in the SEC. (It could take two summers.)

Reaction Score
Joni will get Georgia back in contention in the SEC.

Joni recruits extremely well but they literally can't score and it has been a major problem lately. They have great athletes and talented kids but they have to find a way to put the ball in the basket efficiently for them to be competitive in the conference at the top.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Based on what? I don't oppose it in anyway, and I'm sure Geno won't either, I'm just not sure what the rules are.

It's the NCAA. You're not sure what the rules are because there are no rules.

I'll predict she gets the waiver, because in some twisted, convoluted logic residing somewhere deep within the recesses of Mark Emmert's tiny little brain, he probably figures it's yet another way he can stick it to UCONN.

Good luck to Mikayla. I hope she tears it up at Ugga U.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have issues with something like this not be granted after AEH was granted a wavier for immediate play. I hope she gets to play right away since she did nothing but act as a good and honorable teammate. Good luck, Coombs!

AEH was likely asked to leave where Coombs is leaving by choice. After AEH left, Geno openly stated, "I didn't want her there anymore" about Andra which probably helped her case in getting a waiver. Much different being forced to leave by a coach who felt it wasn't a good fit vs. leaving by your own choice.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Did AEH take classes somewhere last spring?

I believe she did at Mississippi State. If memory serves, I remember reading a post here that said she decided on MS AFTER classes resumed, and may have to sit out a year and a half. In her case, I believe that she was allowed to enroll in school a little late, and simply play catch up. Most schools will pull a few minor strings for their athletes. I think she only missed the beginning of the spring semester by a couple of weeks. Meh.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Not to be snarky or mean but what makes you so sure? It's been 4 years already, she took a big step back this year and I haven't seen anything in the recruiting to think she's passing beyond the middle tier for awhile. Texas AM, MSU, SC, Kentucky, Tenn, Arkansas are all in better position than this Bulldog squad.
Joni's teams usually play good defense and her recruiting should gradually improve. I'm sure Georgia's lake of fan support makes it tough to recruit, which is why it's taking some time to turn it around. Brylcream left the cupboard bare.

Reaction Score
A ton of young talent in Georgia. Olivia Cochran, Anaya Boyd, Avyonce Carter, Raven Johnson, Sania Feagin, Kayla McPherson, Jillian Hollingshead.

Reaction Score
AEH was likely asked to leave where Coombs is leaving by choice. After AEH left, Geno openly stated, "I didn't want her there anymore" about Andra which probably helped her case in getting a waiver. Much different being forced to leave by a coach who felt it wasn't a good fit vs. leaving by your own choice.

I wonder if someone could refresh my memory about this. I recall that AEH played just one semester with UConn, so was eligible for Miss. State after sitting out one semester, which means that she was not accorded a special exemption. But I may be wrong about that.

Anyone else have a more accurate take on this?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good for her. Wish the best. Especially against TN. ;)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Georgia landed two top 40 recruits this past year (ESPN Hoopgurlz rankings):

#28 Chloe Chapman (chloe-chapman )
#38 Javyn Nicholson (javyn-nicholson )

Former RU player and assistant Chelsea Newton works at UGA, and from what I've seen, she's been a very good recruiter at both locations.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So, let’s just put this to rest for once and for all. Are you alleging that Geno pulled her scholarship? If he didn’t, then he didn’t “force her to leave. Wow I would’ve preferred that Geno didn’t acknowledge the bad fit, that’s different than “forcing her out.”

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I wonder if someone could refresh my memory about this. I recall that AEH played just one semester with UConn, so was eligible for Miss. State after sitting out one semester, which means that she was not accorded a special exemption. But I may be wrong about that.

Anyone else have a more accurate take on this?

She was granted a waiver by the NCAA to obtain immediate eligibility upon leaving UCONN. Not sure if she stayed spring semester or not but I believe she enrolled at MSU last summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom