Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread]

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Per the Georgia WBB Instagram.

Best of luck to Mikayla in the next chapter!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good pick up for Georgia and I wish her success and happiness. I hope she finds what she's looking for there. Will be great to see how she does in 1.5 years when she's eligible (Nov 2020)...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Looks like she has applied for a waiver for immediate eligibility according to the espn article
Can't imagine it would be granted. I wonder what reason(s) she's claiming she needs immediate eligibility?

Reaction Score
I have issues with something like this not be granted after AEH was granted a wavier for immediate play. I hope she gets to play right away since she did nothing but act as a good and honorable teammate. Good luck, Coombs!

Reaction Score
That didn't take long. She went home. Only 47 miles form her home in Buford. Congratulations to Mikayla. I wish her all the success in the world. I'll continue to follow her at Georgia. She lost her shot in Storrs. I bet she'll find it real quick in Athens. ;)

ATHENS, Ga. — Mikayla Coombs, a 2017 McDonald's All-American and the state of Georgia Gatorade Player of the Year, will transfer from the University of Connecticut and join the Georgia Lady Bulldog basketball program, head coach Joni Taylor announced.

Coombs played two seasons at UConn and will have two years of eligibility remaining at Georgia.
The 5-foot-10 guard joins an already talented incoming class that includes five-star point guard Chloe Chapman (Mitchellville, Md.), five-star forward Javyn Nicholson (Lawrenceville, Ga.) and four-star forward Jordan Isaacs (Alpharetta, Ga.). Before Coombs' signing, the Lady Bulldogs' 2019 class was ranked No. 14 nationally according to espnW.

"Mikayla is the complete package," Taylor said. "Her accolades speak for themselves, but what I am most excited about is that she is a high-character young lady who is coming back home to play for her state. We pride ourselves in that, and I am so glad she has made the decision to join our program. Mikayla's athleticism is off the charts and she is an explosive play-maker. She is someone Lady Bulldog fans will enjoy watching over the next few years."

[Rest of article]

View attachment 42989

Her new coach - Joni Taylor

She looks happy. That's wonderful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Looks like she has applied for a waiver for immediate eligibility according to the espn article
Based on what? I don't oppose it in anyway, and I'm sure Geno won't either, I'm just not sure what the rules are.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
AEH was basically in the same situation and she was immediately eligible. I doubt Geno would be a roadblock.
I guess Geno shouldn't have been caught on tape saying she was asked to leave. Apparently that figured prominently in the request for the waiver being granted. These days tho, waivers for all!!!

While speculation surrounding her departure from the school swirled, a video of UConn head coach Geno Auriemma speaking to a group of donors emerged and ultimately played a big part in her waiver passing.

Under normal circumstances, a player has to sit out two semesters once they have enrolled at a new school. Espinoza-Hunter enrolled at Mississippi State this summer, meaning that without the waiver, she would not have been eligible until the 2019-20 season. With the comments made by Auriemma that seem to suggest that Espinoza-Hunter was asked to leave, the door opened up for her to be granted immediate eligibility.

Having said that, tho, there is no indication that Coombs was "asked to leave"...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I guess Geno shouldn't have been caught on tape saying she was asked to leave. Apparently that figured prominently in the request for the waiver being granted. These days tho, waivers for all!!!

While speculation surrounding her departure from the school swirled, a video of UConn head coach Geno Auriemma speaking to a group of donors emerged and ultimately played a big part in her waiver passing.

Under normal circumstances, a player has to sit out two semesters once they have enrolled at a new school. Espinoza-Hunter enrolled at Mississippi State this summer, meaning that without the waiver, she would not have been eligible until the 2019-20 season. With the comments made by Auriemma that seem to suggest that Espinoza-Hunter was asked to leave, the door opened up for her to be granted immediate eligibility.

Having said that, tho, there is no indication that Coombs was "asked to leave"...

Did AEH take classes somewhere last spring?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mikayla was a good team mate. Her ratings and evaluations coming out of HS suggested a scoring ability , an offensive capability, that was far greater than the reality on the court. Perhaps things will fall together for her in Georgia. I hope so. God speed young lady.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Joni will get Georgia back in contention in the SEC.
Not to be snarky or mean but what makes you so sure? It's been 4 years already, she took a big step back this year and I haven't seen anything in the recruiting to think she's passing beyond the middle tier for awhile. Texas AM, MSU, SC, Kentucky, Tenn, Arkansas are all in better position than this Bulldog squad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom