Mikayla Coombs -- A hint | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs -- A hint

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Never seen a college player develop a jump shot this late in their career.
Ketia Swanier went from a freshman with sidespin on her release to a credible 3-point shooter as a senior.

Reaction Score
While I don't disagree with your points, I have to say that IMO it's not going to happen. Auriemma will not sacrifice a game for a few minutes of development. Especially against ND. He just doesn't do it.

he may not have much of a choice if UConn gets into foul trouble which I suspect they will..................MC is the best defender off the bench and giving her a few minutes on the ND guards may be necessary............. I expect ONO will get minutes too...........

Reaction Score
She has a very quick first step and seems more comfortable driving to the basket. If she can develop a pull up jumper, or a jump shot from the free throw line, she could be solid.

according to Propsects Nation "Coombs has the potential to be a slashing wing and use her advanced mid-range game to keep defenders off-balance."
I look forward to seeing that in the near future............I know she has way more to her game then we've seen.........

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think/hope she will get it and be a solid contributor. I was more impressed with her defense than offense. There were stretches where she stood still on offense (not moving - but in fairness, even the starters were guilty of that at times), completely missed a wide open drive to the hoop (opted to pass instead), and seemed unsure of her "instincts" on offense.

If I had to guess, she's still having a hard time adjusting to being coached to "unlearn her bad habits from high school", and lacks confidence to make quick decisions when she gets the ball. IMHO she will become much more fluid as the bad high school habits move further away in the rear view mirror, and she feels more confident and comfortable running things in a motion offense. Also, a consistent mid-range game is a must (including a pull up jumper and the ability to use her right hand to make layups).

I don't know if her ceiling is high enough to ever be a starter - I think she will battle Griffin for the 5th starting spot next season (I already have ONO penciled in as the 4th starter). I think she can get there, but it will take some hard work in the off season...

Reaction Score
The next time I see Coombs play I will take off my " Rose Colored Glasses" because from what I have seen she is not afraid to try and make things happen unlike some of the other subs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Can Mikayla help slow down the Notre Dame guards? It's a tall task, but she has an opportunity to earn PT if she can hold her own.

Reaction Score
Much BS! Coombs is a baller, can play and will play. There are so many maroons on this thread.
3376a21b4b5d11d502bff8afe252466a001.jpg

Reaction Score
Geno has been saying for years, "Be quick but don't be fast".

Are you for real? Geno has NEVER said that (using the word "fast"), but he may have repeated John Wooden's quote of "Be quick. but don't hurry" a few times.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think Bama fan may be a lawyer.
No chance. Too lazy and broke to go to grad school. I had an older brother who was a lawyer, who got me out of trouble way too often. I worked in steel mills, and heavy industrial electrical maintenance for almost 50 years. And I heard some amazing word play there to be sure! ;):eek::rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom