Mikayla Coombs -- A hint | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs -- A hint

Reaction Score
I saw more from MC last night. She is physically really talented.

Maybe she needs a shooting coach, and needs to practice her shooting relentlessly over the summer.

I starting job is open next year.

So says I.;)

Comments?

Reaction Score
Can't agree more - last year I noticed a few "glimmers" of special talent, last night - even more. I hope she continues to get minutes, it's all about confidence.

Reaction Score
I agree Mikayla played perhaps her best game yesterday that I can remember on both sides. She is physically gifted. I hope she gets some good minutes in the ND game.

I don't! If she does, it means either somebody is in foul trouble, or somebody got hurt!

Reaction Score

Maybe she needs a shooting coach, and needs to practice her shooting relentlessly over the summer.

So says I.;)

Comments?

We need her this year. Can’t play 5/6 every game.

Reaction Score

So says I.;)

Comments?
Hope you are right that she continues to develop. That being said, if I were Geno I would focus on recruiting point guard that has a reliable outside shot. Graduate students welcome.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A ND vs UCONN game is not the time to experiment for either team. Mikayla has shown athletic flashes before in games but never meaningful minutes or flashes in a meaningful game. Mikayla's situation has also not that much different from last year. She has an opportunity to be the third guard in the rotation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She needs minutes. Her decision making is a little off - passing on good shoots and going for tougher ones. That will come with time. I feel like it is coming together for her. Not sure about the ND game, but minutes for her against easier teams will pay huge dividends in March.

Reaction Score
I agree with CL82. MC needs minutes this year where she can feel the game a little more, maybe against AAC teams. Her athleticism is elite and even if her outside shot is not great, you can impact the game with rebounding, defense, driving and dishing to open spot up shooters. With this team and the offensive arsenal, her contribution should not be to score at a great clip per minute.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has been saying for years, "Be quick but don't be fast". Mikayla is lengthening the periods where she's more quick, meaning under control and moving with purpose, rather than fast, which is (in this case) moving too rapidly to be able to read and react. I've always liked her innate ability - she just needs to play within herself and move on from what worked in AAU. College players are too good to just get outrun.

Reaction Score

So says I.;)

Comments?

Ms. M. Coombs shall get all the coaching her brain can handle. Geno, Shea, Christing Jasmine all see what you see.
What I see is one talented kid who is trying to get her brain wrapped around the Div One Game VS HS--AND she is recovering from illnesses from last season which effectively makes this her Freshman season in development.
Her desire is high which portends well for Geno. Geno is tough but soft. All he asks is that any player gives him 250 percent in effort, desire, attitude--EASY!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't! If she does, it means either somebody is in foul trouble, or somebody got hurt!
You do realize Sunday's game is not the NC game right? MC seems to be putting forth the fuller effort in practice and is why she is getting the minutes she is getting. Last night was a great next step in her evolution. To combat ND, I think they need to run-push the ball against the likes of Shepard and Mabry, both of whom are not the fleetest of foot. Having MC and her wing defense particularly against Mabry, will give the team a change to have KLS and her 6'3" frame offset some of the size advantage ND has.

She needs to play to evolve UConn's bench and help minimize some of the minutes the starters are accumulating. Mostly because her current play seems to warrant floor time.

Reaction Score
A ND vs UCONN game is not the time to experiment for either team. Mikayla has shown athletic flashes before in games but never meaningful minutes or flashes in a meaningful game. Mikayla's situation has also not that much different from last year. She has an opportunity to be the third guard in the rotation.
Unless someone of consequence fouls out of the ND game and Irwin falters I doubt we shall see Mikayla in any of the first 39 minutes.
As nearly everyone sees; he has natural given talent an abilities, when harnessed she could be great. Geno, bless his sould, has been pushing her into games early to run with the big dogs; that builds confidence which he says is lacking in her development.

Reaction Score
It absolutely is the time. Test her against a tough opponent. Win or lose, this game will tell both teams what they need to improve on for March. Development of players for March should be MUCH more important to everyone here than an early season win. UConn best Notre Dame last year during the regular season and then lost to them in the tournament. I’d rather take that regular season loss than play my starters for 40 minutes and hope they don’t get injured.

Reaction Score
What I liked is that after the initial charging foul, she made a nifty move for a basket the next time. and made another good play after that. Going to the basket is her usable skill right now, and she seems to be doing OK on defense.

As has been said, she just needs to slow down mentally and the physical part will follow and she did that in this game.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Geno has been saying for years, "Be quick but don't be fast". Mikayla is lengthening the periods where she's more quick, meaning under control and moving with purpose, rather than fast, which is (in this case) moving too rapidly to be able to read and react. I've always liked her innate ability - she just needs to play within herself and move on from what worked in AAU. College players are too good to just get outrun.
"Be quick but don't hurry." --John Wooden

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It absolutely is the time. Test her against a tough opponent. Win or lose, this game will tell both teams what they need to improve on for March. Development of players for March should be MUCH more important to everyone here than an early season win. UConn best Notre Dame last year during the regular season and then lost to them in the tournament. I’d rather take that regular season loss than play my starters for 40 minutes and hope they don’t get injured.
A couple of false straw men here: 1) "Test her against a tougher opponent" yet she failed the test against a lesser opponent. Not a very good way to inspire confidence.
2) "Development more important than early season win" If win not than important let's find a test/game we know she can pass. How did she play against St. Johns?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom