Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans | The Boneyard

Might Be Another Long Year for Sox fans

Reaction Score
Just after the Stanton acquisition by the Yankees there was some speculation that the Sox would be able to get get back into contention by signing Eric Hosmer and J.D. Martinez. Instead Dumbrowski resigned Mitch Moreland, a decent player but certainly a downgrade from Hosmer. Now the Sox seem to have turned Martinez off and the door may have closed on picking him up. Reminds me of their treatment of Jon Lester. Oh how I long for the days of Theo!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox addressed their biggest issue when they canned Farrell.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Did Dombrowski take your mother out to dinner and never call her back or something? Sheesh.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now the Sox seem to have turned Martinez off and the door may have closed on picking him up.
Of all people, Mike Lupica hits the nail on the head when he says, “On what planet is a 5 year $125M deal something about which JD Martinez gets to act insulted?” If he could do better he would.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm fine with 80% of Hosmer for 10% of the price.

They could really use JD, but the offer is more than fair considering his projected value over the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with 80% of Hosmer for 10% of the price.

They could really use JD, but the offer is more than fair considering his projected value over the next 5 years.
But I am not as patient as you. I want them to win now. If they pass on JD, they will have the same offense as last year which is not nearly enough.

the Q

Reaction Score
But I am not as patient as you. I want them to win now. If they pass on JD, they will have the same offense as last year which is not nearly enough.

I get it.

But. You also don't wanna hamstring yourself when guys like Betts and Benni are in need of new long term deals.

This team has a 2 year window.

I'm thinking adding a guy like morrison for 2 years (fitting their window) would work.

Reaction Score
I get it.

But. You also don't wanna hamstring yourself when guys like Betts and Benni are in need of new long term deals.

This team has a 2 year window.

I'm thinking adding a guy like morrison for 2 years (fitting their window) would work.
Logan Morrison had a break-out year in 2017 with 38 HRs but I'm not sure he could duplicate that in Fenway. He is almost a clone of Mitch Moreland. Interestingly, several years ago when they were both on Miami he called Hanley out for not hustling. I think J.D. Martinez could be the difference maker the Sox need. I also would love to see them unload Hanley.

the Q

Reaction Score
Logan Morrison had a break-out year in 2017 with 38 HRs but I'm not sure he could duplicate that in Fenway. He is almost a clone of Mitch Moreland. Interestingly, several years ago when they were both on Miami he called Hanley out for not hustling. I think J.D. Martinez could be the difference maker the Sox need. I also would love to see them unload Hanley.

Hanley ain't happening, just hope they add some kind of bat that keeps his 2019 option from vesting.

Also if Hanely sees any time at 1B after about the 5th inning of any game the sox are ahead, that's basically malpractice by Cora.

Reaction Score

I'd like think you can count on a rebound year for Mookie, continued improvement from Benintendi and a full year of Devers to provide an improved offense from last year.

the Q

Reaction Score
I'd like think you can count on a rebound year for Mookie, continued improvement from Benintendi and a full year of Devers to provide an improved offense from last year.

Indeed.

And hopefully something from Hanley, but not enough to trigger the Option.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree. You always hear about players "reverting to the mean" after a big year. That door swings both ways. And dare I say it, Price just might earn his money this year.

the Q

Reaction Score
I agree. You always hear about players "reverting to the mean" after a big year. That door swings both ways. And dare I say it, Price just might earn his money this year.

I like Price, I got to meet him when we were both in college, but I still hope he opts out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like Price, I got to meet him when we were both in college, but I still hope he opts out.
Because you like him or because you don't like him (as a player)? I doubt he opts out, the way the market seems to be going he'd be in for a pay cut.

the Q

Reaction Score
Because you like him or because you don't like him (as a player)? I doubt he opts out, the way the market seems to be going he'd be in for a pay cut.

I like him, but I don't like his contract.

But yeah, after this winter, I think that option basically flew out the window.

Reaction Score
I like him, but I don't like his contract.

But yeah, after this winter, I think that option basically flew out the window.
I'm not hopeful with regard to Price. He missed most of last season but did not have surgery and take any other corrective action other than rest. When he did come back he was used in relief. I have this awful feeling that he'll have a great spring training, but by the end of April he'll be on the DL again and will opt for Tommy John surgery.

Reaction Score
Will take another "long season" like season if means we win another AL East title and get another 93 wins....

Like the Nunez re-signing....

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm not hopeful with regard to Price. He missed most of last season but did not have surgery and take any other corrective action other than rest. When he did come back he was used in relief. I have this awful feeling that he'll have a great spring training, but by the end of April he'll be on the DL again and will opt for Tommy John surgery.

That is a very real possibility. And if that happens the team is gonna be in trouble and should think about moving salary during the year and drop below the tax line so they can sign a machado or something next winter.

Reaction Score

They're not "passing on" JD. They've made a more than reasonable offer, and despite Boras' attempts to plant stories about other teams having interest, it doesn't look like there are serious bidders.

the Q

Reaction Score
They're not "passing on" JD. They've made a more than reasonable offer, and despite Boras' attempts to plant stories about other teams having interest, it doesn't look like there are serious bidders.

They’re serious bidders, but not stupid bidders.

Dd is showing surprising patience compared to previous years when he seemed like he wanted his offseason done before Xmas vacation.

the Q

Reaction Score
I’d be happy with a trade for Dickerson to be the dh most of the time. Cheap enough and keeps Hanley off the field more to avoid that option from vesting

Reaction Score
Padres overpaid for Hosmer, and it still makes the Sox initial offer for Martinez look reasonable.

the Q

Reaction Score
Padres overpaid for Hosmer, and it still makes the Sox initial offer for Martinez look reasonable.

I'm totally ok just getting Dickerson now that he was DFA'd by Tampa.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Looks like OP got his wish...I'm sure it'll still be a long season as long as "Dumbrowski" is at the helm, no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom