Mid Major (and Lower) Conference Tournaments. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mid Major (and Lower) Conference Tournaments.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tbh I doubt SDSU would get in without an AQ. They had close losses to some ranked teams (#21 Creighton, #10 Louisville) and actually beat #24 Kansas St. On the flip side, they got blown out by SCar and Washington State. Their NET ranking is #32 and their SOS is 111. RPI is 245! :oops: My eye test tells me they are worth an at-large bid (and ESPN agrees with me! :eek:), but I struggle to believe the committee would give it to them.

SDSU has had some success in the tourney. Back in - I believe - 2018, they made it all the way to the S16. It's a shame that that, for now at least, is probably their ceiling.
Not sure why you would think that SDSU wouldn't get a at large bid ...
SDSU has a NET 37, RPI 38, and non conference RPI of 35 - they can't help their SOS because their conference is terrible but their non-conference RPI is 4 and they have a significant win against NET 20 RPI 26 Louisville.
One of the factors of the end of the old Big East Conference was a downgrading of the A10, never mind (of course) all the conference changes over the years. Before the old BE went away, the A10 was virtually always a 2 bid league and sometimes 3 bid.

What stood them in good stead in the old days was as a decent conference in the east, they played a lot of games against teams from the power conferences , and didn't always lose, for that matter. This put them a leg up on most mid-majors who either didn't play that many games against the power conferences, or were consistent losers even against the lower level teams.

I'm sure you are correct, I think it has been a number of years since they received multiple bids.
The A10 has been raided a bit by other conference in the last decade - mostly the new big east. But Dayton was an at large last year and during Jabir's tenure was at large most years when they didn't get the AQ. Their conference championship years are 2012, 2017, and 2020 but made the tourney as an at large in 2010-2015, 2018, and 2022.

Reaction Score
@UcMiami Points were made, I didn’t look at their RPI just based on their OOC.

I guess I felt like SDSU isn’t a “sexy” choice for the committee because they don’t have flashy players or get talked about much. Also if they didn’t get the AQ, perhaps it would look bad not winning in the tourney when they dominated the conference. Maybe I’m wrong! I always assume lowly mid-majors will get shafted in favor of the P5. :(

Reaction Score
Sacramento head coach Mark Campbell, former Graves assistant at Eugene who many feel was the “real” coach there and the driver of Oregon’s past success, is something like 22-6 and could get the Hornets to the tourney for first time ever. They beat Montana State and Idaho State so far. I’m not sure if Sac State has ever had a winning season.

I seriously doubt Campbell will be there much longer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I forgot to mention, SLU knocked off the #2 seed Rhode Island yesterday. Not sure of the A-10 gets two bids this year or not. Both URI and UMASS had outstanding records.
I've been wondering if this means the A10 will get two teams in the tourney. Will UMass have a chance of making it without the automatic bid? I bet tournament results like this have the bubble teams sweating profusely.
Zero chance of an at-large bid for either Rhode Island or UMass, unfortunately.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Lindy LaRocque's UNLV blew out Nevada in the MWC quarterfinals today. Not a surprise as UNLV was 18-0 in conference. I watched part of the game, and they looked very good.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cleveland St. punches their ticket out of the Horizon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
SDSU wants to get back to the Tourney after missing out last year. They are well on their way. I forgot Dru Gylten transferred there.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
South Florida upset in the quarterfinal of the AAC. They might get an at large bid, but not a good look for them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
SDSU was a buzzsaw today. 93-51 final and it was never close after the opening tip.

Good day for Jacks. Jackrabbits cruise to a tourney title, and NAU Lumberjacks moved on to the Big Sky championship game.

Reaction Score
The SDSU are the UConn of their conference. Told this to my Jackrabbits friend today and she's been giddy all day, as she considers that the highest compliment coming from me. :p

CSU Bakersfield escaped with the upset win. They were behind by 2-3 scores almost the whole game until the very end when they were able to draw a foul. Missed the 2nd free throw but a CSUB player was able to grab the rebound for an easy put back and eventually seal the win.

They play UC Irvine tomorrow, who is the #1 seed but is currently missing a player (I believe a big starter?) out due to injury. CSUB isn't going to light up the gym with shooting but I think they might be able to sneak away with another upset if they come out confident.

CSUB was coming off a 9 game losing streak and lost to CSUN both times in conference play this season. They must feel good right now. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
South Florida upset in the quarterfinal of the AAC. They might get an at large bid, but not a good look for them.
Think this spells doom for one at large hopeful - don't see how USF doesn't get one of those bids at NET 30 before today and wins against TX and Arkansas.

Gonzaga in a dog fight with Portland could also cost another hopeful as Gonzaga is getting in regardless. Portland up three in the fourth.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The teams to watch for reducing expected at large bids are:
C-USA - Middle TN
ASUN - FGSU
IVY - Princeton (I think they are in even if the lose to Columbia (which at NET 45 might sneak in anyway)
WCC - Gonzaga which we will know in the next 10 minutes.

The other Mid Major league leaders are too far down the NET ranking to get an at large bid.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I guess Portland doesn't want it. Blown an 8 point lead late in the game, GU on a 9-0 run to retake the lead.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Or maybe the game isn't over. FTs coming w/ virtually no time left.

Fowler had a miserable first half but really good 2nd half. She's probably one of the best players hardly anybody knows about.

GU kinda fell apart w/ TOs in the 2nd half.

This could be a costly game for GU. Inside 30 seconds left there was a huge collision and Kaylynnne Truong (WCC POY) appeared to suffer a shoulder injury.

This was a very physical game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sacramento St. thumped Portland St. Big Sky title features Sac. St. against Northern Arizona. I think a team from Idaho or Montana has represented the Big Sky in the Tourney for just about forever. Not this year.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Sacramento St. thumped Portland St. Big Sky title features Sac. St. against Northern Arizona. I think a team from Idaho or Montana has represented the Big Sky in the Tourney for just about forever. Not this year.
I assume Mark Campbell is the first call when Graves bows out from Eugene?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I assume Mark Campbell is the first call when Graves bows out from Eugene?
I think he needs a few more years under his belt to prove himself. I don't think Oregon needs to limit themselves to looking at former assistant coaches under Graves.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Bubble Teams are toast.
Most of the time when you look at bubble teams, they earned their way to sweating it out on Selection Sunday. As in they should've done more during the season to make sure of their inclusion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom