Michigan's 8pm on ABC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michigan's 8pm on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and today Connecticut has turned out to be my BCS/FBS big-time program of choice, whatever that may mean to any of you.
it means you and I have very different definitions of "big time"

Reaction Score
Well, I'm from New York City actually...I've been watching Connecticut football on SNY/ESPN for the last couple of seasons now

Rebranding efforts? as in UCONN over University of Connecticut? and the new Husky? I personally prefer Connecticut. It sounds more representative of the State and the University. I visited yesterday and was really disappointed to see that they switched the main entrance sign (at Storrs) from University of Connecticut to UConn. The logo I don't care much. Its okay to change from time to time

I was taking a swipe at the administration, not your preference for Connecticut over UConn.

Reaction Score
it means you and I have very different definitions of "big time"

Well, it all depends whether you solely define "Big time" in terms of Win and Losses or player talent or a weeks in the top 25 rankings. I take a different approach. Any program can have bad years in terms of W/L, or spend years without a top 25 rankings, or go 2-10 on any given year. However, Connecticut has a strong brand in New England and the Northeast and as of now enjoys widespread support in the region relative to just about all other football program... and while the Northeast is not a major college football foothold it still matters.

Sitting 30k+ butts any given Saturday in a region with so many options (whether sports, culinary, cultural, entertainment) its impressive. The problem with many of us in the Northeast is that we want to skip steps and have very little patience with our teams. We want to compete with our southern counterparts and our Midwestern peers (which are decades ahead of us) without caring to develop a stronger regional identity and fostering strong meaningful rivalries to sustain our programs through bad times. However, the SEC and B1G, ACC have decades and decades of regional history while our top-notch NE universities literally sell their as&&ses to those conferences. Look at the state of Northeast football today... Every NE power sold its soul to another conference and Connecticut fans are so worried about staying relevant across the country and the need to join a better conference while forgetting that attendance and fan support (not conference affiliation) is what truly builds and sustains a program.

So yes, for me Connecticut will remain a Big-time program whether they go 12-0 or 0-12, its not the wins that make a program Big time. Is the loyalty and support of fan base despite adversity that truly makes a program special.

Penn State arguably sucks right now and are facing probably the toughest set of penalties ever handed out by the NCAA (well deserved by the way). But who would dare not consider Penn State Big time? the loyalty expressed by Penn State fans in bad times is unprecedented. Talent has its up and down but fan loyalty and pride should always be up specially when we are talking about your alma mater.

Connecticut will bounce back eventually, as long as you and everyone else in Connecticut continues to supports and believe in it.

Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Well, it all depends whether you solely define "Big time" in terms of Win and Losses or player talent or a weeks in the top 25 rankings. I take a different approach. Any program can have bad years in terms of W/L, or spend years without a top 25 rankings, or go 2-10 on any given year. However, Connecticut has a strong brand in New England and the Northeast and as of now enjoys widespread support in the region relative to just about all other football program... and while the Northeast is not a major college football foothold it still matters.

Sitting 30k+ butts any given Saturday in a region with so many options (whether sports, culinary, cultural, entertainment) its impressive. The problem with many of us in the Northeast is that we want to skip steps and have very little patience with our teams. We want to compete with our southern counterparts and our Midwestern peers (which are decades ahead of us) without caring to develop a stronger regional identity and fostering strong meaningful rivalries to sustain our programs through bad times. However, the SEC and B1G, ACC have decades and decades of regional history while our top-notch NE universities literally sell their as&&ses to those conferences. Look at the state of Northeast football today... Every NE power sold its soul to another conference and Connecticut fans are so worried about staying relevant across the country and the need to join a better conference while forgetting that attendance and fan support (not conference affiliation) is what truly builds and sustains a program.

So yes, for me Connecticut will remain a Big-time program whether they go 12-0 or 0-12, its not the wins that make a program Big time. Is the loyalty and support of fan base despite adversity that truly makes a program special.

Penn State arguably sucks right now and are facing probably the toughest set of penalties ever handed out by the NCAA (well deserved by the way). But who would dare not consider Penn State Big time? the loyalty expressed by Penn State fans in bad times is unprecedented. Talent has its up and down but fan loyalty and pride should always be up specially when we are talking about your alma mater.

Connecticut will bounce back eventually, as long as you and everyone else in Connecticut continues to supports and believe in it.

Go Huskies

You'll have to forgive him. He's a BB fan killing time until the men's BB season starts.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Isn't this what we want? National exposure?

Hopefully some out of work coach see's this and take pity on UCONN and offers his service at a cut rate....Are you listening Bill Cowher :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hopefully some out of work coach see's this and take pity on UCONN and offers his service at a cut rate....Are you listening Bill Cowher :)

He's only rejected his alma mater while his daughter played volleyball at the school. I'm sure he's going to be all over the UConn job.

Reaction Score
Maybe some up and coming coach will tune in because his team already played or they have the week off, see a packed stadium with a raucous crowd and see the potential here. I'm only half kidding. We lost but The Rent looked the awesome this past Saturday. I forget who said (whaler maybe) but if this thing gets turned around, the program will resonate with CT residents. People here want this. As a side note, we could easily have the second best game day atmosphere behind ECU in this league.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He's only rejected his alma mater while his daughter played volleyball at the school. I'm sure he's going to be all over the UConn job.

I am trying to be funny. I guess it didn't fly. Of course he won't leave the studio to coach UCONN

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The problem with many of us in the Northeast is that we want to skip steps and have very little patience with our teams.
At UConn, we prefer to take the stairs and build step by step (at least one wise man said). Escalators are for cowards!

PS -- thanks for your insight and hang in there.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hello, Boneyard fans. I would like to formally introduce my self here. I'm ecasadoSBU from the Stony Brook board. Yes, I'm a fan of an FCS team. Before you shut my out I would like to say why am I here. Well, turns out a couple of years (more like 4) ago I got into College Sports, and logically became a fan of my Alma Mater's athletic teams. Well, back then the college landscape was much different. Connecticut would massacre Stony Brook in the Gampel that year before going on to win the National Championship in that impressive run. I used to hate Connecticut withl all my guts back then but by the time my girlfriend became a junior at Connecticut I couldn't resist falling for the program. I felt a bit attached and today Connecticut has turned out to be my BCS/FBS big-time program of choice, whatever that may mean to any of you.

With all of that said, I understand Connecticut is undergoing a rough period of time, and that it finds it self very far removed from that BCS Fiesta Bowl it played a few years ago. But my comment to this fan base is... Don't let this program fall apart! Forget about the coach, conference realignment and all the other bullsh&t that is going on in Connecticut country. The program is only as strong as the fans are. What makes Ohio St. and Michigan and Penn State what they are is not the wins and loses, its the fan base. A fan bases that attend the games in good and bad times (just take a look at Ped State attendance still rocking in the 90ks). They send out a message to potential recruits that they will always be watching no matter what. That sense of loyalty resonates across the country and that is what makes those programs big time.

Now, Im not questioning the loyalty of each and one of you. I know you re the passionate fans of Connecticut country... but there is a small but significant minority out there that has responded to this chaos by refusing to buy season tickets, by looking away and forgetting that this when the program needs all of you the most.

New England looks up to Connecticut and Boston College (yuck) to lead the way. you cant let that fall apart

Hundreds of schools (including my precious Alma Mater) would love to be in Connecticut's position right now. So don't take it for granted. This is still a great program, and its up to the fans to continue to make Connecticut relevant... or to let it out of ESPN forever.

GO Seawolves! Go CONNECTICUT!

Thank you for allowing me part of this board.
Someone tell Rogerd1 that this is the way to ingratiate yourself to the UConn Sports Family.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
From the Hartford Courant today....

Hoke also dismissed the notion that Michigan is a significant favorite.
"I think Paul [Pasqualoni] does a great job of coaching," Hoke said, "We'll have our hands full."

What team has Brady Hoke been watching?? Haha

Reaction Score
Even if Hoke thinks P is an utter fool (which he might behind closed doors), he's not gonna say it in the media.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Even if Hoke thinks P is an utter fool (which he might behind closed doors), he's not gonna say it in the media.

Clearly, but it's funny that he actually says "I think Paul does a great job of coaching"... Its so far from the truth.

Reaction Score
Someone tell Rogerd1 that this is the way to ingratiate yourself to the UConn Sports Family.

But just wait until he suggests that UConn fans stay until the end of the game. That's a line you don't want to cross here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Clearly, but it's funny that he actually says "I think Paul does a great job of coaching"...

That's nothing compared to the tributes Dom Perno received from his Big East brethren. Based on what Rollie and Louie and Jimmy B. would say, you would have thought the original Coach P was HoF bound.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to think by about the third quarter even the children will be trying to get under the blimp

You know, I hate myself for it but I believe we are going to win. I don't see how, but I believe it. The defense will come together, maybe Boyle comes in, I don't know...but it just believe it.

"So with all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour."

Reaction Score
Hey SBU guy, come to a game and gating in grey is on me.
Thanks for the welcome! and I would be glad to tailgate over at the rent

Unfortunately I havent had much of a chance of attending a game @ the Rent this season.... and it doesn't help that my UConn girlfriend is not into sports at all. I basically gotta force her to attend the games. lol. Hopefully next season I take a drive up there again.

I'm still hopeful that Conn. would schedule Stony Brook one of these days (instead of Towson or Fordham,etc), that would be a perfect game for me. I know they were in the talks but I think it fell through

Reaction Score
Thanks for the welcome! and I would be glad to tailgate over at the rent

Unfortunately I havent had much of a chance of attending a game @ the Rent this season.... and it doesn't help that my UConn girlfriend is not into sports at all. I basically gotta force her to attend the games. lol. Hopefully next season I take a drive up there again.

I'm still hopeful that Conn. would schedule Stony Brook one of these days (instead of Towson or Fordham,etc), that would be a perfect game for me. I know they were in the talks but I think it fell through

SBU is at the Rent next year on 9/06, sandwiched between BYU and Boise according to fbschedules.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom