Michael Kay Bashing Bazz | The Boneyard

Michael Kay Bashing Bazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going off about Bazz comment at end of game about APR ban. Saying he had no grounds to complain. Someone call in to educate this idiot on UCONN and the APR ban. He has no idea what he is talking about. Bilas is on next, so I hope he can educate this ass.

Reaction Score
Even as a Yankees fan that really makes me pissed at Kay. He is usually very knowledgable. Yahoo ran an article about Bazz and every single comment said "Well maybe he should do better in the classroom and stop complaining". Do these morons know anything??

Reaction Score
What's Bilas saying?
"UConn's APR ban was the application of an arbitrary standard having no bearing on education. It's like measuring health solely by height." -per his twitter

Reaction Score
People don't seem to fully understand what Shabazz said. Most are taking it as he was upset that he was punished for past players' wrongdoings; and that's correct. But there's more to it than that, and people like Michael Kay don't understand it.

UConn got punished for poor academics, and they should certainly receive some blame for it. But the way these new APR rules were instituted was completely unfair. They used academic numbers from past seasons, and didn't even grandfather the rule in. On top of that, UConn was already punished for their poor team academics with the loss of scholarships. So not only was UConn punished ex post facto, they were also penalized twice for the same crime.

I know that the national media doesn't follow this as closely as us Husky fanatics, but I feel like someone has to get this whole story right. The NCAA is full of hypocrisy, and I want people to know about the witch-hunt against UConn.

Reaction Score
Stephen A Smith said the same thing. He said we were banned because Bazz and our current players were flunking classes. He has no idea.

Wilbon and Kornheiser said about the same.

Reaction Score
People don't seem to fully understand what Shabazz said. Most are taking it as he was upset that he was punished for past players' wrongdoings; and that's correct. But there's more to it than that, and people like Michael Kay don't understand it.

UConn got punished for poor academics, and they should certainly receive some blame for it. But the way these new APR rules were instituted was completely unfair. They used academic numbers from past seasons, and didn't even grandfather the rule in. On top of that, UConn was already punished for their poor team academics with the loss of scholarships. So not only was UConn punished ex post facto, they were also penalized twice for the same crime.

I know that the national media doesn't follow this as closely as us Husky fanatics, but I feel like someone has to get this whole story right. The NCAA is full of hypocrisy, and I want people to know about the witch-hunt against UConn.

There is literally no one in the national media that understands how Uconn was punished. It's insane.

Reaction Score
bills told him he was wrong, that APR is a joke and purely arbitrary. he didn't even get into the whole NCAA changing the rules issue or Emmert and his past at uconn.

Kay then had to defend his position by saying it was not the right place or person to do that

Reaction Score
Even as a Yankees fan that really makes me pissed at Kay. He is usually very knowledgable. Yahoo ran an article about Bazz and every single comment said "Well maybe he should do better in the classroom and stop complaining". Do these morons know anything??
No, they know absolutely nothing.

Reaction Score
Welcome to life as Patriots fan post spygate. Everyone makes up their own version of the story based on what they think they heard and then spread it as gospel. Meanwhile, the actual story gets buried so deep it is FUBAR'd

Reaction Score
The problem is that the injustice that was visited upon us requires more than 10 seconds to explain and is therefore a waste of time for the sound-bite-driven, got'cha media.

Reaction Score
if the NCAA cares about academic success then why are they playing a multi week tournament during the middle of the semester that is taking kids out of classrooms making the schools and NCAA millions of dollars?

Reaction Score
It is insane how the true story of Emmert, retroactive punishment, APR being a joke, and being penalized twice is not getting out there. I posted the true story on a Yahoo board (I know I shouldn't even bother there) and it was immediately deleted. This is just crazy, but we still have too many people making money off these players and they are controlling the story.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Tbone4457 said:
It is insane how the true story of Emmert, retroactive punishment, APR being a joke, and being penalized twice is not getting out there. I posted the true story on a Yahoo board (I know I shouldn't even bother there) and it was immediately deleted. This is just crazy, but we still have too many people making money off these players and they are controlling the story.

It's literally insane. On PTI, kornheiser was saying that uconn was warned about the ban and still didn't comply. No mention of the first scholarship penalty or that the ncaa created the rule knowing uconn couldn't comply no matter what. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Tony Kornheiser was just on PTI talking about how the APR "cost Calhoun his job". The ban was announced, if I'm remembering correctly, around September of 2011. Two and a half years later, I'm still furious that nobody in the media, besides Bilas, bothered to even research the APR - from what it measures, to how it was applied - on a basic level. People hear the word "academic" and immediately tap into their inner self-righteousness, when the entire system is more about retention rate than anything else.

Think about it from Shabazz's standpoint: from day one at UConn, he, and his teammates, have done nothing but exceed standards on the court and in the classroom. Suddenly his junior season rolls around, and his team can't play in the tournament, two of his teammates bail ship for greener pastures, two others declare for the draft, the coach that recruited him retired, and on top of all that, you have all sorts of pretentious s in the media and in opposing student sections who are now under the impression that he and his teammates are dumb. If you have a bone to pick with Calhoun, fine. Don't like the program? Fine. But anybody who criticizes Napier, an innocent bystander to the whole situation, can go to hell.

Reaction Score
There is literally no one in the national media that understands how Uconn was punished. It's insane.

Did anyone in the local media ever write an article that was a more detailed version of jfuchs91's post? If not, we can't even send that to a Kay or Kornheiser to say "Here's the background, if you're interested in knowing it."

Now for the paranoid part of my post: Wasn't there something a little sketchy with the way the ban was implemented? Like the NCAA used a 4 year period (07-11) to determine the scores, but implemented it for the 2013 tournament. They could have looked at the 08-12 scores (which would have been better for us) but didn't on the grounds that there wouldn't be time to gather and evaluate the information or something like that.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Retroactive. That's the word that needs to be used every time, because that's what makes it unjust. They want to change the rules, fine. You cannot change them and use numbers already in the books before the rule change. It makes no sense. Retroactive. How hard is this?
So tiresome.

Reaction Score
Our 2011 team has been slandered in the media repeatedly. Since we won the title and then got the ban after, people think it's an "after this, therefore, because of this" situation (I forget the Latin expression for that, and I also forget how to use Google). I've seen several articles over the last two years where I honestly felt that the players on the 2011 team would have a legitimate lawsuit, but I'm not a lawyer.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The NCAA is a total piece of garbage. It is a gentleman's country club that makes up rules as they go all with the intention to punish individuals, teams, coaches, leagues etc. to make a point and in retribution. They control the cash. They are inept as witnessed by the Men's BB selection process, the BCS bullcrap, the closed eyes to officiating deficiencies in all sports, the favoritism to some coaches/programs. They force retired aged coaches who have won titles to sit in the upper tiers at championship events while their sponsors, money people and the network people/media that kiss their azzes sit courtside.
I am not for paying players or unionization. A college education is expensive and a full scholly is nothing to sneeze at. However to arbitrarily penalize people for past errors of others is something one would think has been erased in these days.
It's the good old boys society.

Reaction Score
You can hear the entire 10 minute interview jay b had with Michael Kay regarding the APR on the ESPN radio site Nader podcasts. It 's really worth the listen as not only jay makes MK sound ignorant, but jay clarifies certain aspects about the APR I didn't know and will make your blood boil. E.g each school could determine how they keep score of their APR...a great listen as usual by JB

Reaction Score
Michael Kay has a freakishly huge head & I think sometimes his thoughts get jumbled-up in that mega-dome…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom