OT: - Mets DFA Matt Harvey. | The Boneyard

OT: Mets DFA Matt Harvey.

Reaction Score
Harvey refused re-assignment to Vegas AAA to work on things. Between injuries and attitude he is one of the bigger flame outs in recent baseball history. Has become a real doosh. Mets likely to get nothing for him because I think he will clear waivers.

Reaction Score
Guy is a loose cannon. Injuries wrecked his arm, blowing that lead in the 9th inning of Game 5 of the 2015 World Series wrecked his head.

Reaction Score
Injuries are one thing, but his attitude alone has cost him millions. For someone who seemed so normal 5 years ago, he became a mental disaster.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Addition by subtraction. Wish we had traded him years ago when we could have gotten something for him. The combination of his ego and Scott Boras being his agent doomed him from the start.

Props to Calloway for doing what needed to be done and not letting him put the stink on team. I guarantee he was not liked in that clubhouse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was a hero in New York when he first came up. But has now seen himself become the villain. Ironic.

With the bad joke out of the way, I think the TOS really knocked the luster off of Harvey (I'm sure there are medical professionals here who could explain the specifics better than I, so I won't try). He hasn't been the same since. It's super unfortunate considering he'd already beat Tommy John. Independent of the injury, I will definitely agree with those disparaging his attitude. Certainly didn't do himself any favors.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He'd be perfect as a Cardinals reclamation project.

Reaction Score
Guessing the Astro's can add a couple feet to his fastball and more movement somehow.

Actually a sad story for one of CT's own.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree with the comments here, but if old George Steinbrenner where around, he’d be a Yankee in seven days when he is fully released. And then he’d build himself back this summer and make a splashy return this fall.

All that said, he’s never going to turn the corner here. I think he’s been wanting this release.

Reaction Score
87BDE075-08DD-4072-9A09-F154B591B4FE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Callaway didn’t put up with a second of his diva routine this year. He must clearly feel this was addition by subtraction in that clubhouse. And with him and Dave Eliand diagnosing his mechanics, I am sure they didn’t see promise around the corner.

Reaction Score
Harvey refused re-assignment to Vegas AAA to work on things. Between injuries and attitude he is one of the bigger flame outs in recent baseball history. Has become a real doosh. Mets likely to get nothing for him because I think he will clear waivers.
Unfortunately I think he's always been a real doosh. I rooted for him because he's a Connecticut guy but he's always been really arrogant and handled everything about as poorly as possible.

Reaction Score
I loved this guy. He gave his all coming off Tommy John surgery and went way over his innings limit that year trying to win the world series. That may have ruined him as after that it was the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. At this point though, it may be best for all for a change of scenery. I think he will rise once again. He still throws hard.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think he's always been a real doosh. I rooted for him because he's a Connecticut guy but he's always been really arrogant and handled everything about as poorly as possible.

This... It's easy to look the other way when a guy performs, but he's always been a .

Reaction Score
This... It's easy to look the other way when a guy performs, but he's always been a .
Exactly, teams will put up with a doosh when he throws 98 but at 93 with a 7.00 ERA the dooshiness gets old quickly. What a shame this story is though. I saw Harvey pitch a Spring Training game in 2015, he was one of the best three pitchers I’ve ever seen live, along with Pedro and Clemens.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Mets made a very reasoned offer to go to the minors and work out the problems. Harvey said no. Mets say good bye. As it should be.

Not sure if I was a GM I would even give Harvey a look. Especially with his attitude.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mets made a very reasoned offer to go to the minors and work out the problems. Harvey said no. Mets say good bye. As it should be.

Not sure if I was a GM I would even give Harvey a look. Especially with his attitude.
Although I’ve never been a fan of his attitude, he might be worth a chance for another team, especially so cheap. He needed to be humbled and that wasn’t going to happen while he was still a Met because he simply never changed his attitude. Perhaps now he will have a new perspective to put that chip on his shoulder to good use.

Would be a good story, and the Mets have an unfortunate history of having players who leave come back to bite them in the ass, so I wouldn’t be shocked if it happens.

The only thing I knew for sure was that he was never going to last with the Mets through free agency.

Reaction Score
I can’t think of many pitchers who recovered to play well after TOS surgery. Josh Beckett, Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia and Chris Young were never the same after it. Tyson Ross is the only one who’s pitched at approximately the same level of performance as prior to the surgery.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I can’t think of many pitchers who recovered to play well after TOS surgery. Josh Beckett, Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia and Chris Young were never the same after it. Tyson Ross is the only one who’s pitched at approximately the same level of performance as prior to the surgery.

Ehhh I don't have the stats but it's like half the pitchers have it now and their ligaments are stronger than ever before.

Reaction Score
Ehhh I don't have the stats but it's like half the pitchers have it now and their ligaments are stronger than ever before.

Are you sure you’re not thinking of Tommy John Surgery (TJS), which is a reconstruction of the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) and is pretty common with pitchers in the MLB? It’s when all those pitchers kept getting elbow problems or forearm strains.

TOS is thoracic outlet syndrome and it’s primarily an issue with compression of nerves and blood vessels, which is why one of the symptoms to look out for is tingling of the fingers and a weak arm. It has nothing to do with ligaments.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Are you sure you’re not thinking of Tommy John Surgery (TJS), which is a reconstruction of the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) and is pretty common with pitchers in the MLB? It’s when all those pitchers kept getting elbow problems or forearm strains.

TOS is thoracic outlet syndrome and it’s primarily an issue with compression of nerves and blood vessels, which is why one of the symptoms to look out for is tingling of the fingers and a weak arm. It has nothing to do with ligaments.

Yes. I was. Oops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom