OT: - Metro Storrs staycation food recommendations? | The Boneyard

OT: Metro Storrs staycation food recommendations?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Saturday Airbnb overnight booked, with Dairy Bar, Mansfield Drive-in movie & Sunday Flea Market, and Coventry Farmers Market before heading to Bushnell Park for Hartford Jazz Festival if it isn't too rainy on Sunday. #stillrevolutionary
#Hartfordhasit
#dontshootwerefromnewhaven

Where should we get suitable, tasty, cheap eats, or food to bring to the movies?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saturday Airbnb overnight booked, with Dairy Barn, Mansfield Drive-in Movie & Sunday Flea Market, and Coventry Farmers Market before heading to Bushnell Park for Hartford Jazz Festival if it isn't too rainy on Sunday. #stillrevolutionary
#Hartfordhasit
#dontshootwerefromnewhaven

Where should we get suitable, tasty, cheap eats, or food to bring to the movies?

DP Dough.

Duh.

Reaction Score
TBH gimme both.
Unfortunately the quality of DP Dough took a huge hit circa 2012. I don't know how it is now, but it was night and day difference between my freshman and junior year.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the quality of DP Dough took a huge hit circa 2012. I don't know how it is now, but it was night and day difference between my freshman and junior year.

I graduated in 2013 and yeahhh...

I can't really remember the times I hate DP Dough that year well enough to either confirm or deny this.

Reaction Score
I graduated in 2013 and yeahhh...

I can't really remember the times I hate DP Dough that year well enough to either confirm or deny this.
Yeah the good news was that they were open way later than everyone else. I really liked them my freshman year. I was disappointed when it got worse.

Reaction Score
Yeah the good news was that they were open way later than everyone else. I really liked them my freshman year. I was disappointed when it got worse.

That's where it's real value was.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Lady Hans would sooner stop for Wethersfield Pizza chicken parm on the way up more so than a calzone, but she might be curious about downtown Storrs. Given what else we're doing, would that be a good side trip w/dairy bar desert?

Btw, we liked both Fire & Spice and El Nuevo Sarape last weekend when we took the train to Hartford & walked to Trinity's Cinestudio to see 2001; A Space Odyssey. We enjoyed our trip to Hartford enough to go back the following week.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Lady Hans would sooner stop for Wethersfield Pizza chicken parm on the way up more so than a calzone, but she might be curious about downtown Storrs. Given what else we're doing, would that be a good side trip w/dairy bar desert?

Btw, we liked both Fire & Spice and El Nuevo Sarape last weekend when we took the train to Hartford & walked to Trinity's Cinestudio to see 2001; A Space Odyssey. We enjoyed our trip to Hartford enough to go back the following week.

Would you describe it as a city in New England who's star is, perhaps, rising?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Dog Lane Café might be up your alley.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

New management.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You're going to Coventry, looking for food recs, and no one mentioned Bidwell within 6 responses? For shame.
Again think about my sidekick, she likes Archie Moore's and Dew Drop Inn, but wasn't bowled over in traveling to J Timothy's. Because we're there, and it's still good enough - is that the reasoning? She might like it. It's her need for a night away after a rough work week, and all else suits her fine.

Reaction Score
What do people think of Grille 86? I ate there once, place was empty except for us ( early afternoon on a Thursday ) but the burger / wings were very good. I’ve talked to others that have not had a good experience though.

Reaction Score
You have two options, West Hartford or back to New Haven.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bidwell is not the Bidwell of the past.

It's not worth going out of your way.
In context, is a 4-minute walk "out of my way," if I'm planning to head down to the Drive-in and could easily go to either of the 2 Willimantic places mentioned?

Reaction Score
It's not gourmet but Toasted in Storrs Center has a nice selection of grilled panini sandwiches that travel well. It's not a chain, it's a mom-and-pop.
Toasted

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Bidwell is not the Bidwell of the past.

It's not worth going out of your way.

This is true, but it’s still better than most of what’s in the area.

Now that I’m seeing your timetable, you need to go to the Coventry farmers market Sunday morning. It’s the biggest in the state and has tons of awesome food.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom