OT: - Metro Storrs staycation food recommendations? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Metro Storrs staycation food recommendations?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Papas pizza and roast beef are right down the street from the drive in located west main st. Willimantic. Last I had them the salami grinders (toasted) were good and the wings were plump and tasty. Stop there and bring them into the drive in.
Great meatball pizza there too. Red pie with meatball and sliced tomato was my go-to there. Meatballs are sliced like discs and have very good consistency.

Reaction Score
Great meatball pizza there too. Red pie with meatball and sliced tomato was my go-to there. Meatballs are sliced like discs and have very good consistency.

The holy trinity of Willimantic pizza places was Papa's, Mama's, and Tony's. At one point years ago they were all owned by members of the same family. My friends and I spent quite a bit of time at both Papa's and Tony's. Both were quite good, but over the course of time we ended up spending more and more time at Tony's. That of course, was many years ago. We haven't been to either of them in a few years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The holy trinity of Willimantic pizza places was Papa's, Mama's, and Tony's. At one point years ago they were all owned by members of the same family. My friends and I spent quite a bit of time at both Papa's and Tony's. Both were quite good, but over the course of time we ended up spending more and more time at Tony's. That of course, was many years ago. We haven't been to either of them in a few years.

I went to Tony’s last summer. Pretty much the same. Haven’t been to Papa’s in forever.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I went to Tony’s last summer. Pretty much the same. Haven’t been to Papa’s in forever.

Now I can't remember if the meatball and sliced tomato pie I enjoyed was from Tony's or Papa's. I know it wasn't Mama's. It was the one where the cops and hookers hung out, if that helps.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Now I can't remember if the meatball and sliced tomato pie I enjoyed was from Tony's or Papa's. I know it wasn't Mama's. It was the one where the cops and hookers hung out, if that helps.

Papa’s you liked the meatballs at. Papa’s is in front of the stop and shop by the 32/66 split where the DMV was. Tony’s is past downtown. Papa’s has that 50 year old Sprite sign.

We used to bust his chops on how he stayed open because nobody was ever there.

Tony’s was always my favorite of the three. But I’m not a big fan of the super thin crusts that many here like best.

Reaction Score
Papa’s you liked the meatballs at. Papa’s is in front of the stop and shop by the 32/66 split where the DMV was. Tony’s is past downtown. Papa’s has that 50 year old Sprite sign.

We used to bust his chops on how he stayed open because nobody was ever there.

Tony’s was always my favorite of the three. But I’m not a big fan of the super thin crusts that many here like best.

I'm also not a bit fan of the super thin pizza crusts as well. As for that that Sprite sign at Papa's, it looked old around 1980 when I first started eating pizza at Papa's and Tony's.

Tony's at the time also had Canadian bacon as a topping, which became a favorite of my future wife and mine. Somewhere along the passage of time they got rid of it. Oh well.

Living in Norwich, it became inevitable that eventually we would spend less time in Willimantic and Storrs. Combine that with getting older and getting out of the habit of eating pizza at least once a week led to us frequenting Tony's less and less as time passed.

These days when we do get pizza in Norwich, the place we usually go to is Irene's,, which has been around since 2003. By an odd quirk of fate, Irene's is owned by a cousin of the family that owns Tony's, so we never really escaped the pizza making orbit of that family.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm also not a bit fan of the super thin pizza crusts as well. As for that that Sprite sign at Papa's, it looked old around 1980 when I first started eating pizza at Papa's and Tony's.

Tony's at the time also had Canadian bacon as a topping, which became a favorite of my future wife and mine. Somewhere along the passage of time they got rid of it. Oh well.

Living in Norwich, it became inevitable that eventually we would spend less time in Willimantic and Storrs. Combine that with getting older and getting out of the habit of eating pizza at least once a week led to us frequenting Tony's less and less as time passed.

These days when we do get pizza in Norwich, the place we usually go to is Irene's,, which has been around since 2003. By an odd quirk of fate, Irene's is owned by a cousin of the family that owns Tony's, so we never really escaped the pizza making orbit of that family.

I’m like 25 minutes from Papa’s - if I have to take one for the team and do a quick Willimantic pizza tour this week...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m like 25 minutes from Papa’s - if I have to take one for the team and do a quick Willimantic pizza tour this week...
Would you be willing to endure a pie or two from Geno’s as well? I know it’s not Willy, but it would add color.

Reaction Score
Would you be willing to endure a pie or two from Geno’s as well? I know it’s not Willy, but it would add color.

Funny, we ate at Geno's last night (had the chicken parm, and it was delicious) before going before going to see Superstar, the last of the summer theater series at Jorgensen Theater on campus. It was an excellent night.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Funny, we ate at Geno's last night (had the chicken parm, and it was delicious) before going before going to see Superstar, the last of the summer theater series at Jorgensen Theater on campus. It was an excellent night.
Love Superstar. How was the performance?

Reaction Score
Love Superstar. How was the performance?

We thought it was very good. First time I had seen the play, we've seen the movie quite a few times on television. From what I can tell, in terms of the staging they followed lead of the movie, following quite a bit of the staging from the film. Amazing what they were able to do on a small stage.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Quick recap:

Six flavors into two medium cups of Dairy Bar ice cream before a hiking along the Horsebarn Hill ridge - mint chocolate chip, black raspberry, salted caramel crunch, banana chocolate chip, peach, and mocha espresso of some sort. Exceeded the hype, and I hate & fear hype.

We were delayed at check-in by a chatty Airbnb host, so that we only got a hit-the-spot carnitas burrito at Willimantic's Tacos la Rosa to bring into the Mansfield Drive-in and accompany our cherries & wine. We added good popcorn from the concession during intermission that featured a great Jay Ward-animated timer. Papa's had shutdown the fryolator early when we got there and we were pressed for time, so we left empty-handed,but liked the giant green neon arrow and friendly folks inside.

Sunday's rain all but killed the outdoor flea market vendor lineup, and muted the crowds at the Coventry Farmers Market, where we got an excellent fried chicken sandwich & potato salad, plus a half-dozen freshly shucked clams and a complimentary oyster.

A jerk chicken combo and fried chicken wings w/sides kept us happy at the Hartford Festival of Jazz. Tucked inside a Sportbrella, we stayed pretty protected from the intermittent rain that ultimately dowsed those who hung on for the Azar Lawrence Experience closing things out. Along with Jocelyn Pleasant and the Lost Tribe, and Mike Casey Trio w/Benito Gonzalez, the music was top notch and well worth the trip. We'd definitely do it again: budget-friendly, zero summer weekend traffic, and closer than NYC, Tanglewood, Northampton, Providence, Newport, Hudson River Valley, and other overnight trios we've done on short notice.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I don't understand how a cookie delivery service is a viable business plan but good for them I guess
It's next to 16,000 drunk, stoned, overworked, and tired kids. You serious?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Quick recap:

Six flavors into two medium cups of Dairy Bar ice cream before a hiking along the Horsebarn Hill ridge - mint chocolate chip, black raspberry, salted caramel crunch, banana chocolate chip, peach, and mocha espresso of some sort. Exceeded the hype, and I hate & fear hype.
What was the breakdown of the flavors in the two cups? Mint chocolate chip is a tough pairing. The only other one there I could see putting with it is mocha espresso. I wouldn't want the mint queering any of the fruit or caramel in the other flavors.

Yes, these are the things about which I think.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think I would pay to see the Jay Ward animated intermission timer more than most movies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What was the breakdown of the flavors in the two cups? Mint chocolate chip is a tough pairing. The only other one there I could see putting with it is mocha espresso. I wouldn't want the mint queering any of the fruit or caramel in the other flavors.

Yeah, I was kind of horrified by this. I rarely get more than one flavor at a time, unless it's a sundae situation.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think I would pay to see the Jay Ward animated intermission timer more than most movies.

With good reason...

We liked Incredibles 2 enough and grew to enjoy making fun of Ant Man & the Wasp in a MST3K way, while not disliking it. It was past midnight, we'd been up since early, and we're not young. When the rain obscured the windshield, it just didn't seem necessary to turn on the windshield wiper.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

First three were hers, next three were mine. I wanted to go back in and get chocolate, vanilla, and either coffee or strawberry cheesecake. I just decided to ignore the potential for badly merged flavors. The portion was enough for me to eat them all separately and then be willing to eat what 'touched' others, which I did.

We thought about going back on Sunday or getting some more from Bear's when we were in Hartford, but making our own at home is next up on the plan: coffee (plain) and sweet cream which we will top w/grilled fruits when we celebrate family birthdays next Saturday.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Overworked? Lol!!!
Maybe you weren't. A lot are. A lot of students need to juggle full-time or near full-time work on top of a full-time class load and still try to fit in some kind of social life. If this is so funny to you you either had a privileged go at it or are out of touch.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Maybe you weren't. A lot are. A lot of students need to juggle full-time or near full-time work on top of a full-time class load and still try to fit in some kind of social life. If this is so funny to you you either had a privileged go at it or are out of touch.

I got hit by a girl in a stolen car when I was 17, and so money from breaking my pelvis in the accident paid for college. I suppose some kids are overworked (maybe you were), but I was usually more astounded with how little most kids did, especially those whose parents were paying for school. I would say I put in average effort and was always the hardest working or top three hardest working student in my classes. 80% of kids didn’t even read. That’s why I found the comment funny, but your rationale also makes sense

Reaction Score
I don't understand how a cookie delivery service is a viable business plan but good for them I guess

Krispy Kreme thought so.

"The deal, which values Insomnia Cookies at less than $500 million, could be announced within the next few weeks, the sources said.

The sources, who cautioned a deal could still fall apart, requested anonymity because the information is confidential. Krispy Kreme and Insomina weren't immediately available to comment.

Insomnia Cookies was founded in 2003 by University of Pennsylvania student Seth Berkowitz. Its stores, which stay open and deliver until 3:00 a.m., are often situated near college campuses, helping it to cater to late night revelers. It has more than 135 locations and sells cookies, brownies and cold milk."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was kind of horrified by this. I rarely get more than one flavor at a time, unless it's a sundae situation.
Don't think I didn't anticipate a response like this. Almost didn't share the flavors chosen.

We wanted to try nearly everything, and this was the best I could come up with in the moment.

Like I said, where the flavors were discreet, everything was a winner, though I wouldn't get banana chocolate chip again. Not even sure why this time. And the peach was frozen too hard, so that those wanting packed containers were told they'd have to wait. Probably would have liked it best if I'd just gotten all 3 flavors that had the coffee profile.

The salted caramel completely turned me around in a flavor combo I never before found appealinh, and the black raspberry & mint chocolate chip were two flavors I don't ever choose chose but like and were also great surprises. I got smaller amounts because they were hers, but they were clean tastes. I guess it adds up to her making better choices and m liking hers more, but I still like every. single. mouthful. A lot.

Reaction Score
It's next to 16,000 drunk, stoned, overworked, and tired kids. You serious?
If kids think they're "overworked" in college, wait until they get a real job. And yes, i'm including the kids working while going to school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom